What's the craziest thing

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

BeachGirlShops
Black Friday Pro

Re: What's the craziest thing

Postby BeachGirlShops » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:16 am

Probably the craziest thing I have ever witnesses is the people who camp at Best Buy to be first in line. I know they used to be camped out in the parking lot at Best Buy in Myrtle Beach for days in advance.

I have still seen more than my share of the unruly, rude shoppers too. It's like people lose their minds over things.

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:48 pm

BeachGirlShops wrote:Probably the craziest thing I have ever witnesses is the people who camp at Best Buy to be first in line. I know they used to be camped out in the parking lot at Best Buy in Myrtle Beach for days in advance.

I have still seen more than my share of the unruly, rude shoppers too. It's like people lose their minds over things.

I went to BB last year 3 hours after it opened. They had plenty of EVERY DOOR BUSTER still available. They realized they were better off NOT running out of inventory.

I had to laugh at those idiots who sat around for hours freezing their butts off for no reason.

So I still don't see a store worth going early.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:49 am

Not too crazy, but the image sticks in my mind.

It was the year when DVD players were the hot new item. Only a few homes had one, and everyone wanted one. Walmart had $30 DVD players as a doorbuster item. In my Walmart, they were in the middle of the aisle, an enormous stack covered in black plastic wrap and guarded by store employees. When the Black Friday sale officially began, the employees stepped aside and the crowd went mad! They were tearing into the plastic wrap, grabbing DVD players by the armful. I saw people grabbing multiple DVD players. It was a frenzy!

However, after 10 minutes or so had gone by, the frenzy had diminished and the crowds had disappeared. The pile had started out enormous, and there were still many, many DVD players left-- enough for latecomers to grab at their leisure.

clubing25
Black Friday Pro

Postby clubing25 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:27 am

Shopper X wrote:Not too crazy, but the image sticks in my mind.

It was the year when DVD players were the hot new item. Only a few homes had one, and everyone wanted one. Walmart had $30 DVD players as a doorbuster item. In my Walmart, they were in the middle of the aisle, an enormous stack covered in black plastic wrap and guarded by store employees. When the Black Friday sale officially began, the employees stepped aside and the crowd went mad! They were tearing into the plastic wrap, grabbing DVD players by the armful. I saw people grabbing multiple DVD players. It was a frenzy!

However, after 10 minutes or so had gone by, the frenzy had diminished and the crowds had disappeared. The pile had started out enormous, and there were still many, many DVD players left-- enough for latecomers to grab at their leisure.

Yep have seen that several times. It is amazing how some people go crazy.

justhangingout528
Black Friday Pro

Postby justhangingout528 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:08 pm

wwefk wrote:YOU ASK FOR IT.

one bf at kohls we had

a kid try to jump over a bush in the parking lot and break his arm

A woman berating other customers in junior because "I can say whatever the f#(« I want"

And a woman who didn't want to wait in line for the bathroom so she changed her tampon in the fitting room

ALL IN THE FIRST HOUR!!!!

That last one. :? Ewwwwwwwww.

clubing25
Black Friday Pro

Postby clubing25 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:16 pm

justhangingout528 wrote:
wwefk wrote:YOU ASK FOR IT.

one bf at kohls we had

a kid try to jump over a bush in the parking lot and break his arm

A woman berating other customers in junior because "I can say whatever the f#(« I want"

And a woman who didn't want to wait in line for the bathroom so she changed her tampon in the fitting room

ALL IN THE FIRST HOUR!!!!

That last one. :? Ewwwwwwwww.

Right!!!! Disgusting!

iKitsune
Black Friday Pro

Postby iKitsune » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:55 pm

BeachGirlShops wrote:Probably the craziest thing I have ever witnesses is the people who camp at Best Buy to be first in line. I know they used to be camped out in the parking lot at Best Buy in Myrtle Beach for days in advance.

Look, I invented showing up and sitting in front of Best Buy with a propane grill, tents, and an entourage. "We're better than you, and we do it in style", the sign duct-taped to the front of the building read.

clubing25
Black Friday Pro

Postby clubing25 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:57 pm

iKitsune wrote:

Look, I invented showing up and sitting in front of Best Buy with a propane grill, tents, and an entourage. "We're better than you, and we do it in style", the sign duct-taped to the front of the building read.

Awesome for you!!

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:52 am

The craziest would be working the Walmart BF. This was a few years back when all the doorbusters went all at one time.
I was in charge of unwrapping the towel pallet. I thought it would be nice bc no one would fight over towels; right? Wrong-O!! I started getting a line around me 20 minutes till midnight then grew bigger as time grew near. I'm a little thing so I knew I was doomed. I thought well I will unwrap this bugger and run for the hills ( hills being the nearest shelf I can climb to for refuge). I yell out the countdown with all the other employees; giving them the look that I would imagine a soldier gives to his comrades when going into war. I unwrap and try to run but instantly get pushed inside the pallet. It looked like probably something similar to what an octupus would look like if you kept the lid off the pot of its boiling bath pot. Then here comes a big o fella right on top of me. I finally get helped out of this death contraption as the last, stupid cheap towel is taken. A broken wrist all for the love of the crappiest 1.88 towels I have seen.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:54 am

One time I was at Walmart about to get towels, and I saw this person get pushed inside the towels......oh, wait.. :twisted: :lol:
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:47 am

I have thankfully not witness anything SUPER crazy in the many years I've been doing this. I've been in Walmart a few times for the mad dash but I try to stay away from there if possible. At least until the crowd dies down.

clubing25
Black Friday Pro

Postby clubing25 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:20 pm

sportymonkey wrote:The craziest would be working the Walmart BF. This was a few years back when all the doorbusters went all at one time.
I was in charge of unwrapping the towel pallet. I thought it would be nice bc no one would fight over towels; right? Wrong-O!! I started getting a line around me 20 minutes till midnight then grew bigger as time grew near. I'm a little thing so I knew I was doomed. I thought well I will unwrap this bugger and run for the hills ( hills being the nearest shelf I can climb to for refuge). I yell out the countdown with all the other employees; giving them the look that I would imagine a soldier gives to his comrades when going into war. I unwrap and try to run but instantly get pushed inside the pallet. It looked like probably something similar to what an octupus would look like if you kept the lid off the pot of its boiling bath pot. Then here comes a big o fella right on top of me. I finally get helped out of this death contraption as the last, stupid cheap towel is taken. A broken wrist all for the love of the crappiest 1.88 towels I have seen.

I gave up trying to get towels a few years ago!! They are that great. Glad you ok and can live to tell the story!! :D

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:49 pm

I've been doing BF for 20+ years (*gulp* I'm old :shock: ) so I've seen some really crazy stuff.

The craziest thing recently that comes to mind is the guy who got tasered in Walmart. This was about 2 or 3 years ago when Walmart started blocking off access to the DVDs/video games etc. It got to be start time (8pm I believe) and the Walmart employees weren't letting people through to the DVD section to make their selections. This was the last thing on people's lists since at that point in time, our Walmart opened the rest of the pallets about 2 hours before sale time so you could load your cart and just wait in line until the sale actually started. This one guy decided he would jump the rope they were using to block people from the DVD section at about 2 minutes after start time since he was being impatient. In his mad dash to try to make it to the pallets, he ended up toppling a store manager over, got up without apologizing to continue his quest, then all of a sudden ZAP! The rent-a-cop had him tasered and writhing on the ground like a fish out of water, then proceeded to handcuff him. I read in our local paper a few days later that he faced assault charges for breaking the manager's wrist.

The best part? I decided not to wait around to go to the DVD section since my carts were already being unloaded by my niece as I ran back to check the games and stuff. I left and continued on my journey to other stores, only to come back a few hours later and find that a good majority of the available titles were still in stock and the store was nearly dead. I hope he thought what he did was worth it.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:36 am

teknoge3k wrote:One time I was at Walmart about to get towels, and I saw this person get pushed inside the towels......oh, wait.. :twisted: :lol:

LMAO!! I just spit my drink everywhere.. brilliant comeback.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 am

carmenslackey wrote:I've been doing BF for 20+ years (*gulp* I'm old :shock: ) so I've seen some really crazy stuff.

The craziest thing recently that comes to mind is the guy who got tasered in Walmart. This was about 2 or 3 years ago when Walmart started blocking off access to the DVDs/video games etc. It got to be start time (8pm I believe) and the Walmart employees weren't letting people through to the DVD section to make their selections. This was the last thing on people's lists since at that point in time, our Walmart opened the rest of the pallets about 2 hours before sale time so you could load your cart and just wait in line until the sale actually started. This one guy decided he would jump the rope they were using to block people from the DVD section at about 2 minutes after start time since he was being impatient. In his mad dash to try to make it to the pallets, he ended up toppling a store manager over, got up without apologizing to continue his quest, then all of a sudden ZAP! The rent-a-cop had him tasered and writhing on the ground like a fish out of water, then proceeded to handcuff him. I read in our local paper a few days later that he faced assault charges for breaking the manager's wrist.

The best part? I decided not to wait around to go to the DVD section since my carts were already being unloaded by my niece as I ran back to check the games and stuff. I left and continued on my journey to other stores, only to come back a few hours later and find that a good majority of the available titles were still in stock and the store was nearly dead. I hope he thought what he did was worth it.

I think there is a youtube vid of this. My oldest daughter wanted to start going with me a few years back. I thought I would show her how crazy it could get before hand and this was one of them that had popped up. After I awaken from my slumber ( nightshifter) I will go searching for it.

Return to “Rants and Raves”