Share your 2015 Black Friday experience here!

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Share your 2015 Black Friday experience here!

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:29 pm

As Black Friday begins in now a matter of HOURS, how was your experience? What did you buy? Did you have any problems? Let us all know how your Black Friday experience was.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Re: Share your 2015 Black Friday experience here!

Postby Shopper X » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:36 pm

I went to Big Lots this morning, about an hour after they opened. The store was pretty empty. I looked through the (small and disappointing) selection of DVDs on sale but didn't find anything I wanted.

Went for a run and passed by the Target next door. Nobody was in line at 10 am (store opens at 6 pm tonight).

wwefk
Black Friday Pro

Postby wwefk » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:21 pm

I hit up big lots! also, and your right about the cheap movie bin. Only about 50 dvds TOTAL. Also, they didn't even have it on the floor because the shipping label said FRIDAY. In years past, big lots! had seperate merchandise for Thursday sale and Friday sale. This year it is supposed to be one big weekend sale. Luckily, someone I knew from when I worked there (told you I've worked for every store imaginable) was working, so I told her to check if they never got put out. Alot of work for 2 dvds! :lol:
Decorating the tree
(Gardening)
Wiring all of the lights
(Electrical contracting)
Wrapping up packages and writing out cards
(Office work, out of sight!)

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:54 pm

I have no bf experience. These past couple of weeks I've been putting in alot of overtime at work. Alot of 12hr shifts and working 6 days. Wellp all of that went to bills. My husband said this whole week that he would let me spend $100 at JCP since the kids really need clothes; and I would have liked to grab a sweater or 2. All of today has been hell, from not getting to leave work until 7a this morning right, turkey dinner not until 4 ( wanted to hit the opening time). I finally get him to leave and thinking we were going to go. Nope; he decides that somehow it's my fault that I'm broke or uses every excuse to not anty up.
The only BF experience that I did have is that I just went to Meijers to see if they had any .56c wrapping paper. Got 2 and also snagged 2 video games that were b1g1 for 19.99. My oldest son was with me and since dad had also broken his little heart I went ahead and let him pick out 2 games; one was a game he had been wanting for a long time.

I'm sorry for venting. I think yall would be the only ones that understand my frustration. I look forward to this day every year and for the past couple of years it has ended in failure. I would go out and just people watch but it probably would depress me even more.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:06 pm

Went to Office Max/Depot, picked up a couple Toshibas, That place was dead, spent 30 minutes in there looking around, and only saw, three other shoppers.
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:11 pm

I went to JCPenney for the stick vacuum around 6pm. I asked an associate about the coupons and she said they had all been handed out but she had found one just lying around and gave it to me. Woot! So, I got the vacuum (only saw 2 but maybe there were more piled up somewhere?) And went to the nearest checkout. Poor checkout girl had a time of it with the vacuum. First I asked her to check the price (ad had said 19.99 but online it was saying 29.99) before I bought it - it wouldn't ring up at all. Found the page in the ad saying 19.99 before rebate so she tried to manually override it. It wasn't letting her type anything. Eventually she got it to and it asked for the product code and I think she got halfway through that before having issues. Tried scanning it in but failed until she found the bar code in another place on the box. Then it didn't want to let the coupon be used with it. I didn't say anything but she just went ahead and manually discounted the $10. So I paid $10.84 for it in the store and if the rebate works (2 separate employees said I could do both coupon and rebate) I'll have it for a net price of 84 cents.

I still want to go to Kohl's and Wal-Mart but I don't like going too close to opening. Haven't decided if I'll go back tonight or wait until morning.

nippythedog
Black Friday Pro

Postby nippythedog » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:26 pm

Shopped online at Target and Walmart when they both went live. Easy peezy. It's so nice BF shopping from home.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:17 pm

Sorry, your Black Friday hasn't gone well so far, Sporty. The weekend is still young, so maybe you'll still be able to do some shopping before it's over.

crazymomofthree
Black Friday Pro

Postby crazymomofthree » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:58 pm

I did my bf shopping online when they went live so I wasn't planning to go out to look around until Friday. That's until my grown son who has never shopped on bf asked me to go to Walmart with him. When we went to pay the register kept telling us I had $0 balance on my debit which I knew was wrong. Glad I had my backup credit card. None of the playstation plus cards would ring up for anybody. They said it was a bad batch of cards and nothing could be done. I didn't tell my son, but I order 5 cards online at the bf price.

It wasn't too crazy in there like I've seen in it the past. Ppl acted like they had sense for the most part, except the lady in front of me who thought it was okay for her family to join her with their 4 carts full of stuff and acting like they were hers. She only had to over hear me once and let us in front of her with our few items.

KMAKKSMOM
Black Friday Pro

Postby KMAKKSMOM » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:43 am

My husband and I left the kids at home (5 girls ages 16,15,14,13,8 months and 1 boy 7) around 8:30pm and went to see what was left at Wal-Mart that we wanted. We were able to pick up 'Age of Adeline', 'The Lucky One', 'Best of Me', 'Safe Haven', 'The Wolverine', 'Jupiter Ascending', 'Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters', 'John Wick', a Mossy Oak hoodie for our 16 year old daughter, some pjs for our 8 month old and some wrapping paper. Spent $57. Hardly anyone there, lots of stuff left (we looked through EVERY movie and t.v. show and there was only 1 John Wick left though...yay!) no lines. In and out in an hour, mainly because we looked through EVERY.SINGLE.MOVIE.AND.TV.SHOW.THERE.

Then we went to Target, where we got 'Magic Mike XXL', 'The Longest Ride' and 'Quantum of Solace'. Spent $22.xx...thinking about going back later today for a few more movies. Just like Wal-Mart, Target didn't have many people there, lots of stuff left and no lines. Girl who checked us out said there had been maybe 100 people go through checkout since opening. Took 15 minutes.

Last stop for the night was Kohl's. Like the other places, not many people, lots of stuff left, no lines. Husband bought me a $75 Fila pair of shoes for $45 and 2 $8.99 blankets...one for me and one for a daughter. Received $15 Kohls Cash to add to our $30 Kohls Cash from Monday's online purchases ( a 12 piece California King bedset for $109, a 20 piece California King bedset for $49.99 and a onesie for $3.99). In store time..20 minutes.

All in all a good Black "Friday", but a weird one since everywhere was dead.

We may or may not go out again.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:21 am

So I decided to go back llast night about 8. Went to Wal-Mart. Tried to look at DVDs but it was too crowded with the way it was set up - kind of a tight horseshoe configuration. I got a couple of fleece sleep pants for myself - only intended to get one but I couldn't decide which of the 2 designs I liked best.

Then I went to Kohl's - saw the line (which was blocking one of the items I was considering) and just left. Went back to Kohl's this morning and got the last blanket in the design I wanted along with a couple shirts. Didn't spend enough for Kohl's cash. Just couldn't find enough I wanted - did consider a second blanket but decided to pass.

Went back to Wal-Mart to pick over the DVDs - didn't find any I wanted (at least not for a price I wanted). Seriously considered one of the used Wii games but decided I don't play enough to justify even $5 for it. Got a pair of the fleece sleep pants for my sister.

Off to Joann's for 50% off a $3.50 item.

And I think I'm finished unless I see something good online. I thought about going to Menard's but honestly the only thing I want there is junk food and I'll just make myself fat.

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:25 am

sportymonkey wrote:I have no bf experience. These past couple of weeks I've been putting in alot of overtime at work. Alot of 12hr shifts and working 6 days. Wellp all of that went to bills. My husband said this whole week that he would let me spend $100 at JCP since the kids really need clothes; and I would have liked to grab a sweater or 2. All of today has been hell, from not getting to leave work until 7a this morning right, turkey dinner not until 4 ( wanted to hit the opening time). I finally get him to leave and thinking we were going to go. Nope; he decides that somehow it's my fault that I'm broke or uses every excuse to not anty up.
The only BF experience that I did have is that I just went to Meijers to see if they had any .56c wrapping paper. Got 2 and also snagged 2 video games that were b1g1 for 19.99. My oldest son was with me and since dad had also broken his little heart I went ahead and let him pick out 2 games; one was a game he had been wanting for a long time.

I'm sorry for venting. I think yall would be the only ones that understand my frustration. I look forward to this day every year and for the past couple of years it has ended in failure. I would go out and just people watch but it probably would depress me even more.

That sounds a lot like what my schedule was like the past couple months. Except I work days. I was fortunate that we managed to get out of work after only 6 hours yesterday, but the month of December is expected to be even more overwhelming.

Planned on shopping after dinner last night, but got called to a structure fire last night (I'm a volunteer firefighter). Spent 8.5 hours in the freezing cold putting that out. I guess I can't complain, there are 4 families that lived in that building who are now homeless. Planning on taking my brother and the kids out to breakfast then hit up Walmart, Kmart, Sears, and Gander Mountain to see what's left. Winter coat from KMart/Sears, movies/video games and a new blu-ray player from Walmart, and new boots from GM.I'll repost my results :)

Giraffe34
Black Friday Pro

Postby Giraffe34 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:55 am

Well, I hit up the Walmart that is located in another town from where I live-worth it to go to this one every time. They let you get things as soon as you get there as long as it's not a tv or other big ticket item, so shopping there is always wonderful and the employees are super helpful and nice. What I got:

32" TCL Roku smart tv- this was the one that was only $125
Room in a box Mickey mouse
girl pajama set
boy pajama set
850 thread count sheet set
Disney story book
Shopkins toy
Paw patrol toy
Crayola bead maker set
Ladies plush socks
Mickey Mouse toddler bedding set

Then just this morning, headed out to Best Buy to buy the $99 4TB external hard drive
Also went to Toys R Us and got a remote control truck and Spiderman toy for my little one.

Oh also online at Best Buy Thanksgiving morning, got a 32" Samsung smart tv

Didn't do too much damage this year, but overall it was a great and stress-free BF shopping experience for me.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:23 am

It seems that since last year I've favored a new shopping schedule. I did not go out at all Thanksgiving afternoon/evening. Nor, did I get up early on Black Friday morning. Instead, I headed out to shop at 8 am.

- Stopped by Staples and waited in a line to check iPad availability (they were out of the one I wanted).
- At Best Buy there was still a line to get into the store, so I just went somewhere else.
- At Michaels, I bought a small, $2 artificial wreath.
- Target also was sold out of the iPad I wanted.
- The mall was relatively uncrowded, and I just stopped by the Apple Store to see if they were having a Black Friday sale (there weren't).
- At Savers, I bought 1 pair of jeans and 2 pairs of pants for just $4.75 total (75% off sale!).
- At Costco, I found that they are now selling the iPad mini 4 (there weren't selling them just 3 days ago), and discounted to the same $100-off price as the Staples/Target/Best Buy Black Friday sales. So, I bought one. I also scored the best deal yet, a 6.4-pound boneless pork loin for just $2.74 total (that's 43 cents a pound!). The pork loin was regularly priced at $1.99 a pound or $12.74 total, but the Black Friday deal was $10-off a package.

I arrived home at 10:30 am, my Black Friday shopping finished for the day.

(I might head out later to check out Jo-Ann Fabric and to go back to Target to see if they still have sale Apple TVs.)

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:57 am

I shopped a little online yesterday morning at Best Buy and bought some items from Target on Wednesday. I also bought a DVD from Amazon last night.

I'm at work today. I plan to go on my lunch hour and go pick over the remains at Best Buy. I only missed a couple of items.

Return to “Rants and Raves”