*** Share your Black Friday experience here ***

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

angelmse
Black Friday Pro

Re: *** Share your Black Friday experience here ***

Postby angelmse » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:23 pm

jeanerz13 wrote:angelmse, did you get your Maleficent blu ray?

YES thx for asking. I was all set to pm it at Walmart, it rang up at 9.96 LOL. All that stress and I had no probs getting it.
Haven't even watched it yet :lol:

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:20 am

$7 isnt terrible for an HDMI cable if you need it right away. I would still go to monoprice first though - their shipping doesn't take too long.

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:02 am

angelmse wrote:
jeanerz13 wrote:angelmse, did you get your Maleficent blu ray?

YES thx for asking. I was all set to pm it at Walmart, it rang up at 9.96 LOL. All that stress and I had no probs getting it.
Haven't even watched it yet :lol:

Personally, I didn't think it was that great of a movie. My wife, on the other hand, thoroughly enjoyed it.

CrazyTrain
Black Friday Pro

Postby CrazyTrain » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:30 pm

My BF was sadly low key.

Got to Target at 4:30, line wasn't too bad. There were people who had been camping out for a week, though! The lady 2 people in front of me was soooo obnoxious, complaining because they handed out the crackers starting at the beginning and end pf line. The target person said they had 2 full boxes inside so she would get one, but the lady had the employee go get one for her and her daughter. Of course she got the $10 gift card too!!! I got the Sbux B1G1, but since it was only good for the weekend, it was useless for me. That was the tip of the iceberg (like she was SHOCKED that they gave out tickets for the TVs and that they were all out by the time they got to her) I easily got what I wanted, as everyone headed to TVs. Fitbit Force for me (free w/saved gift cards), a Infinity fig for DH, a book for my dad. In and out in 10 min. I had bought the sand on Wed and ordered a bike for LO online, just in case.

Usually i do kohls second, but I had gotten all I wanted online on Wed. It was sad, and I know you all love online BF shopping but it was the same experience I have every time I shop online. There was no BF feel like there is in stores. I got shirts for my parents, a fiestaware sugar/creamer set that is gonna totally surprise DH!, and some hand towels for me.

Headed to JCP just in case they had globes/coupons left. They didn't, and man it was my first time at that store. So crappy. They had a bunch of signs saying they didn't carry x y or z. I got some quick dry towels, found a line w/4 people in front of me and 3 cashiers... then waited 20 minutes. Hopefully these towels work LOL

I was feeling kinda crappy but headed to Bath and Body Works. Took awhile to find all my stuff, and instead of B3G3 it took off some weird random amounts and my total was $20 more than it should have been. I was feeling really bad by then so I went home... was home by 8 p.m. Such a weird feeling!

Usually go out BF during the day w/DH/LO but went went on a mini vacation so no more shopping... Tried to convince DH to go to an outlet but no dice!

It was a very laid back BF this year for me, partially b/c of funds, shopping online, not really needing anything, already having gifts for people... but it was a fun time anyway!

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:24 am

the target I went to wouldn't give you a cracker unless you were going to open a red card or planned to use your redcard. and the employees (young girls) that had them were just standing there not really even knowing what they were suppose to do. I think most of the employees didn't know because I heard someone say to them "just start handing them out" and they said "we're suppose to use them as an incentive"

my friend and i both got one but we got lame coupons.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:56 pm

This was the first year I didn't go out for BF sales during doorbusters.

I did go to Kmart Thanksgiving morning. I had about $50 between points I'd saved & a $5 gift card. I bought the $79 canon digital camera, and the $39 portable dvd player. I used my points, and only paid $75, plus they put $40 in points back on my card.
I then went to jewelry, and bought 4 pairs of the $50 earrings that were on sale for $5, so $20 and saved $180, plus another $5 back in points.
I get to the checkout, we had a lot of clothing/socks/some toys, and some shoes for the Buy 1 get 1 for $1 sale. I saved over $200, used $45 in points, and got another $39 in points on my card, and a $5 gift card :lol:

Friday early afternoon my SIL and I went out to a few stores, I had to buy surprise birthday party food/cake/etc. so my budget was really slim for other things.
However we did end up at the Kmart near her house. After sale savings, It came to $67, and with my points, I paid $20 and change! Plus another $5 gift card, and $6 back on my card.

I think Walmart had Blu ray players on sale for $35? Our stores had a lot left, so I picked up one of those yesterday.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:15 am

azerigold wrote:This was the first year I didn't go out for BF sales during doorbusters.

I did go to Kmart Thanksgiving morning. I had about $50 between points I'd saved & a $5 gift card. I bought the $79 canon digital camera, and the $39 portable dvd player. I used my points, and only paid $75, plus they put $40 in points back on my card.
I then went to jewelry, and bought 4 pairs of the $50 earrings that were on sale for $5, so $20 and saved $180, plus another $5 back in points.
I get to the checkout, we had a lot of clothing/socks/some toys, and some shoes for the Buy 1 get 1 for $1 sale. I saved over $200, used $45 in points, and got another $39 in points on my card, and a $5 gift card :lol:

Friday early afternoon my SIL and I went out to a few stores, I had to buy surprise birthday party food/cake/etc. so my budget was really slim for other things.
However we did end up at the Kmart near her house. After sale savings, It came to $67, and with my points, I paid $20 and change! Plus another $5 gift card, and $6 back on my card.

I think Walmart had Blu ray players on sale for $35? Our stores had a lot left, so I picked up one of those yesterday.

Yeah the blu ray players weren't super popular at my Walmart either. I almost got one but passed on it. Was the camera for you or as a gift? If for you, have you tried it out? I was considering a higher level of that camera (elph 340 instead of 135) but eventually went with a Samsung instead. The Samsung isn't as impressive as I had hoped, but I haven't tried any outdoor shots yet.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:55 pm

I think those were even the one-hour guarantee item so maybe they just had a very large supply of them.

shiftyjedi
Black Friday Pro

Postby shiftyjedi » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:01 am

bfaddict wrote:the target I went to wouldn't give you a cracker unless you were going to open a red card or planned to use your redcard. and the employees (young girls) that had them were just standing there not really even knowing what they were suppose to do. I think most of the employees didn't know because I heard someone say to them "just start handing them out" and they said "we're suppose to use them as an incentive"

The crackers were a joke. Everyone got a lame coupon. Buy one Starbucks, get $1 off the second one. I don't even drink coffee. It was just a way to get people to buy something as sale that still has a high profit margin. So unless you were one of the three people that probably got a gift certificate. Just another way to capture coffee fiends on there way out. It was a pure money driven promotion advertised as a customer incentive promotion. Lame, the CLIFF mini bar on the other hand was a cool give-away that might get me back into the line.
2018 Video Game Comparison Spreadsheet Link (this compares video game item in a grid format)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IrC66il_gdV2fjT4CSwmG3v9zHPuwt_wkBcPNsfUXH8/edit?usp=sharing

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:24 am

shiftyjedi wrote:
bfaddict wrote:the target I went to wouldn't give you a cracker unless you were going to open a red card or planned to use your redcard. and the employees (young girls) that had them were just standing there not really even knowing what they were suppose to do. I think most of the employees didn't know because I heard someone say to them "just start handing them out" and they said "we're suppose to use them as an incentive"

The crackers were a joke. Everyone got a lame coupon. Buy one Starbucks, get $1 off the second one. I don't even drink coffee. It was just a way to get people to buy something as sale that still has a high profit margin. So unless you were one of the three people that probably got a gift certificate. Just another way to capture coffee fiends on there way out. It was a pure money driven promotion advertised as a customer incentive promotion. Lame, the CLIFF mini bar on the other hand was a cool give-away that might get me back into the line.

My friend and I actually went to Target first because of the crackers so we were kinda bummed they were so lame. AND we were so far up in line but for some reason we totally got skipped over for the cliff bar. It was bizarre, they handed them out to the like the first 10 people and then went farther down the line and started handing them out again. I got the buy one get one free starbucks drink but I didn't even realize the coupon was only valid for that weekend otherwise I probably would have used it.

BeachGirlShops
Black Friday Pro

Postby BeachGirlShops » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:46 pm

I was at one of our local Walmart stores over the weekend and they had a section of BF stuff still on sale. They still had the racks of blu-ray and dvds which included a very limited amount of video games, $25 sheets sets and the comforter sets, the ss trash cans, picture frames and several bins of clothes for adults and children. I was actually surprised at how much they had left and that they were still the same price. I've seen them keep the price low for the weekend of BF but not over a week later.

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:02 am

teknoge3k wrote:
jeanerz13 wrote:
Couldn't find the DVD pallets at Walmart...all I saw were the usual $5 bins. Think they may have sold out.

Typically the cheap movies and games are in the produce section. At least in every Walmart I've ever been in on BF.

Ours are always in the garden center and they man the door, letting in only so many at a time and creating a line throughout the garden center into the store and into the paint department. It's a joke!
It just isn't Black Friday when it is Thursday.......

techgirlable
Black Friday Newbie

Postby techgirlable » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:45 pm

This years black friday was fun, but not really fast paced. Heres what I did:

Toys r us - saved $130 on a variety of toys for DD and my nieces and nephews
Old Navy - saved $30 on some clothes for DD (mostly went here for my SIL, who got some good bargains)
Fred Meyer - saved $50 or so on a carseat for DD (i feel a pattern forming...)
Walmart - saved $50 or so on random stocking stuffers
Bath and Body works - got their 6 / $30 hand soap deal
Target - saved $40 on some toys for nieces and nephews
Alaska Airlines - Saved $150+ on flights for our disney trip next year!

so some reasonable savings, BUT the best part was that christmas shopping was finished before December started!!

caravaggio
Black Friday Pro

Postby caravaggio » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:57 am

Thursday Morning at 2:30 AM:
Ordered all my blurays from Target/Walmart/Best Buy. With the exception of VHS because I forgot and Maleficant because it was in store only.

3:30 AM:
Still desperately trying to order legos for my nephews. Sadly stayed sold out for 2 hours so we (my sister in North Carolina was also trying) give up. (We end up buying it later for 60. :-/ We got 90 days to return them. They keep coming in and out of stock online I HAVE FAITH I WILL FIND THEM NOW)

Friday 11:30AM:
Run online to order 300 dollars of Target giftcards for 270 (which I will later stack online with redcard savings, doesn't work in stores like that).

Noon:
Swing by Walmart just in case the legos might be there (a long shot I know and of course they weren't), pick up PS4 game I forgot to order earlier, Maleficant Bluray, cds, some other blurays and DVDs that my coworker wanted for her grandkids (it was pretty dead at this point). The movies were in front of the baby clothes section. I assume since it was Noon on BF it was moved.

Then Target where I found the Lego Movie 3D (at least 20 copies) and Lone Soldier.

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:34 pm

BB near me ended up with 40 of the $199 50" tv's. Line was 60+ long by 1pm so I never bothered. My wife and I went in there about 9pm.. three hours after the open. We needed a new printer and figured they would all still be there. And they were.

We saw an Epson we liked, and it was down from $299 to $199, but on Amazon it was showing as $159. Store said they would price match but not until Tuesday. We went back on the next weekend, the price at BB and Amazon had dropped to $129.. Score.

I also got some tools, etc from Sears. I always find some things I want at their rows of small items on cheap. Got a nice creeper which I need for my crawl space (Im in there more than I care for), and a small carry tool bag for $5.

At home depot a week later I got a 2-pack of HDMI cables for $9.99. Worked for me.

Did get a ipad 2 (128mb) model at Target which include an instant $140 store gift card. Ad said only 16mb models were for sale but all of them were. Wish I knew that and got the 64mb model for $100 less (same $140 card).

Most of the tv's were 2013 models.

That's it

Return to “Rants and Raves”