*** Share your Black Friday experience here ***

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

angelmse
Black Friday Pro

Re: *** Share your Black Friday experience here ***

Postby angelmse » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:10 pm

BF this year was a blast!!!!!!
I had purchased several items Tuesday and Weds. on pre/early rewards sales. So I didn't have much left on my list.

Thursday: Got to Walmart at 3:30 for 6pm sale. I figured it would be a mess due to the TV's. The store manager allowed me to put the video games and set of PJ's I wanted in my cart early, so I went up to the front to get in line. I was 1st customer to check out and was in my car by 6:05, and headed home. So I missed all the craziness. woohoo!
Wrapped ALL gifts, had a snack and tea, napped and up at 2am to Sports Authority or free coupon. Here is where it got ugly.
3am Sports Authority: 1st in line. Manager came out to chat with me, we had fun. At 5am this group of 5 showed and danced around yelling that they were 1st in line. I stood up, outa my chair and said " excuse me I am 1st in line" This 1 woman, a real bitch, said "if your not standing in front of the door, it doesn't count, you can't just sit there in your chair" I replied " I will get up and put my chair away 20 mins before the store opens and I am 1st in line." She continued to harass me for the next 45 mins. Then she went up and down the line telling people we "are supposed to storm the door" that is what a doorbuster means. Then she tells us that she doesn't need the free coupon, they are just there cause " it's a fun way to start her black Friday shopping" Oh plse it gets better..... So 6am hits, the manger starts to open the door and she starts pushing the women behind me, who pushed me, and yelling " rush the door". So we get our coupons as we walked in, and all you hear is this blood curling yell " I am the big winner, I am the big winner!!!!!" Yes, this awful woman, won the $500 coupon. Honest to God, we all including the employees were so disappointed. Then they walked out of the store without purchasing anything.... I got my $10 coupon,, got my son his basketball and was walking out the store, when the manager came up to me and handed me another coupon worth $25. He said, he felt so bad for me and wanted to reward me for being there so early, and he was so upset that not only it was her that won, but that they walked out without spending it. He was very nice and I got my son a free pair of snow pants.
Then Petsmart to get hay for the Guinea Pig and home.

So all in all it was great. I am on super tight budget this year, so just got stuff for my son and was able to really stretch my monies to get him almost everything on his list. WOOHOO Santa MOM.
Again, thx to all the hard work done on this site, so very helpful.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:20 pm

angelmse, did you get your Maleficent blu ray?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:28 am

jeanerz13 wrote:
Couldn't find the DVD pallets at Walmart...all I saw were the usual $5 bins. Think they may have sold out.

Typically the cheap movies and games are in the produce section. At least in every Walmart I've ever been in on BF.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:59 am

teknoge3k wrote:
jeanerz13 wrote:
Couldn't find the DVD pallets at Walmart...all I saw were the usual $5 bins. Think they may have sold out.

Typically the cheap movies and games are in the produce section. At least in every Walmart I've ever been in on BF.

Mine near the meat coolers.

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:46 am

guitarist19862005 wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:
jeanerz13 wrote:

Mine near the meat coolers.

Ours were located in the aisle between produce/frozen foods and women's apparel.

I did find a few dvd's for $1.96. We had most of the others and Maleficent was nowhere to be found for my mom.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:50 am

Yeah, usuly they're at the back end of grocery...but I saw no displays this year...either they moved them or they sold out. No big deal...probably nothing good anyway.

pdavis
Black Friday Pro

Postby pdavis » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:58 pm

Wed night worked. was scheduled 6-10 pm, but ended up staying till 12:30 helping get the store ready for Thursday. (for those that don't know, I picked up a 2nd job at best buy during the holidays). When we all left, there were about 15 people in line, the first 2 or 3 had been there since either Monday or Tuesday.

Thurs slept in. got in line at Target about 11 am, was the 5th "group" in line so got ticket number 5 out of 38 for the 40" tv. the group behind me happened to be the same group that was just ahead of me last year. one of the ladies held my spot around 2 pm while I went to Kmart and put a few things on layaway. it was nice being in the a/c since it was about 85 degrees sitting in the sun lol. Target passed out tix, and the popper things around 5 pm. The mom of the lady who held my spot got an instant $50 gift card! Target opened at 6, got in, got my stuff, looked at a few other things and out the door by 6:15.

Went to Best Buy, about 5 minutes away. Had to wait outside since the armed security was only letting in about 20 people at a time, but only outside about 10 minutes. Inside was a madhouse! Got what I came for, looked at some other stuff and got in line. It was at the back of the store when I got in line, so I thought I'd be there forever, but only in line about 20-30 minutes. My manager happened to see me on my way in and my way out and asked how the line was.

Went to Old Navy, but the line there was crazy, so went to Ulta. (Old Navy, Ulta, and Best Buy are in the same shopping center). Didn't see anything I wanted, left. Hit the store for something to eat and home by 9.

Friday and Saturday worked full 8 hour shifts. The line wasn't to the back of the store, but it never ended. lol. I survived my first retail Black Friday experience.
I'm addicted!

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:22 pm

Kaelha wrote:
guitarist19862005 wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:

Ours were located in the aisle between produce/frozen foods and women's apparel.

I did find a few dvd's for $1.96. We had most of the others and Maleficent was nowhere to be found for my mom.

The one I went to they had the games in the produce and the DVDS in the main aisle between grocery and clothing. They had a lot left when we went back at 9 pm. Not sure how many they had of the good blurays but lots of the non-bluray.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:06 pm

I didn't go to Walmart, so I don't know where anything was.

in case anyone was interested :lol:
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:05 pm

Due to a family emergency I didn't do as much shopping this year as usual.

My daughter and I decided to go out after 5:00 Friday afternoon. No chaos, one Walmart store, one Target store, and one Big Lots. Followed by dinner at a restaurant of her choosing.

First stop: Walmart. First thing we found was a fully stocked row of red boxes full of movies and games in the center of the aisle between food and electronics department. Grabbed a bunch of $1.96 DVDs and $3.96 Blu-rays. Found the last copy of The Walking Dead Season 3 DVD for $9.99 which was the only season I missed out on last year. Also scored the last copy of The Walking Dead Season 4 for $9.99 (reg price $40--couldn't pass that up!!), I didn't even realize it was going to be on sale since it was just released a few months ago. Took forever to find The Big Bang Theory Season 7 on DVD for $9.99, I was about to give up when she nearly got ran over by some bitch's shopping cart. We ended up finding a lone copy behind a title on the kids' (Disney) DVD rack.
Grabbed the last two Frozen pajama sets(1 of each color blue/pink) for the kiddo-she wanted the slippers to match but they were sold out. Grabbed a couple They still had boxes full of the $47 Nikon Coolpix L27 cameras (picked one up for my mother), $50 dual-screen portable DVD players(grabbed one for my brother and his family), $7 HDMI cables, and a couple different TV doorbusters in stock. We weren't in the market for a TV so we didn't bother checking the price to see if they still rung up at their sale prices. The only video games I saw in the displays were for the XONE and PS4, I'm not sure how many X360/PS3 games were included as my store either sold out or re-stocked them in the glass case earlier in the day.

Target was a bust, grabbed a couple pairs of the $5 slippers and a couple pairs of C9 compression shirts/pants for 40% off. Not the greatest deal but very comfortable and cheaper than many alternatives. The media displays were bare but I honestly think Target boxed them up earlier in the day rather than sold them all. I actually laughed out loud when I saw empty shelves and the high prices for DVDs!

We stopped at Big Lots even though there wasn't anything we wanted in the ad. I liked the fact that they restocked the $1.88 DVDs and $2.88 Blu-ray throughout the day rather than do what they did last year and just put them all out at once. Other than that stuff we picked up a few odds 'n ends for the house, not necessarily for Christmas.

Her choice for dinner was IHOP. Sounded good to me, I had their Denver omelet with hashbrowns and a black coffee. She had the funny face pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon and chocolate milk.

I think we're going to make this a traditional thing. With more and more online sales, Black Friday isn't worth going out "early" anymore, we took our time, hit up 3 stores in about 2 hours and got nearly everything on our list..then grabbed dinner.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:19 pm

cinemike16 wrote:$7 HDMI cables,

PLEASE tell me you didn't pay $7 for HDMI cables?!

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

pdavis
Black Friday Pro

Postby pdavis » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:24 pm

teknoge3k wrote:

That's not a good price? I think I paid more than that last year.
I'm addicted!

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:52 pm

teknoge3k wrote:

Heck no... I get all my cables from MONOPRICE. I was just stating my local Walmart had a full display of them left at 6pm Friday, probably because everyone knows you can get them cheaper online

However, I wouldn't say it's a bad deal. If you only need one cable, or want the cable right now $7 is a bargain compared to other B&M places.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:02 pm

pdavis wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:

That's not a good price? I think I paid more than that last year.

No, that's expensive. You can get HDMI cables all year long on Monoprice for $2-$3. Heck they were on sale somewhere this BF for $0.99. The only way I'd pay $7 for an HDMI cable is if it came with a $6 gift card to Chick-Fil-A with it.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:53 pm

$7 isn't a bad price to have one in your hands immediately. The same HDMI cable at Monoprice is $4 with free shipping, but you would have to wait 3-6 days to get it. Five Below is another B&M store, and they have HDMI cables for $5.

Return to “Rants and Raves”