*** Share your Black Friday experience here ***

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: hiker, ikey2

dkst0426
Black Friday Pro

Re: *** Share your Black Friday experience here ***

Postby dkst0426 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:12 pm

lwmjr wrote:stopped at JCP for a snowglobe

Did they give you the runaround for it? We were told at the door as they handed out the gift cards (I got a $10 off $10 purchase) that the snowglobes would be available at the register. To drum up business, that's smart of them, because the last couple of years, I've walked in and walked right back out once I got the snowglobe. Anyway, when I went to checkout with my $9.99 item (plus a candy bar I picked up at the register) and after using my $10 off card, they tried to tell me that I was supposed to get the snowglobe when I walked in.

Long story short, one of the managers looked around everywhere behind the register, then told me to wait up front, and she came back with one for me. Whole bunch of people were walking out without asking for theirs, too.

newkirk32
Black Friday Pro

Postby newkirk32 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:29 pm

[quote="jeanerz13"]

Since I was on that end of town I decided to go to the mall anyway since JCP was open at 5 (it's an anchor store) and the rest would open at 6. I wanted to check out some of the cheap sheets (which they didn't have marked properly though they probably would have rung up right) and some tees. They weren't handing out snowglobes at the door so I figured they ran out by the time I got there (5-10 minutes after opening). When I went upstairs though, there was a lady standing next to a table full of boxes... snowglobes... I though it was strange that the snowglobes were being handed out on the upper level of the store instead of at the door...but what do I know...I've never got one before. Smaller than I expected. Anyway, I'll probably go back some time tomorrow or Saturday to pick over leftovers like I usually do (only went out today for the gloves).quote]

Same thing at my JCP, they weren't at the door so I asked someone and they were in the middle of the store on the upper level. Odd..

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:42 pm

Got in line at 5:30 for the 6pm iPad mini and I'm number 44 and guaranteed one. Family is spread out in other lines. Doing good so far!
It just isn't Black Friday when it is Thursday.......

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:52 pm

Simeone is whistling in line and i am a out ti punch them!
It just isn't Black Friday when it is Thursday.......

Shopper X
Black Friday Pro

Postby Shopper X » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:58 pm

Went out for a run at 2 pm, parking and running in the mall parking lot because there was 3-4 inches of snow everywhere else. A handful of people were lined up at Target. Ran past Best Buy at around 2:30 pm where there was a substantial line of people across the front and around the corner of the store.

At 3:30 pm, I was done running. Nothing near the mall was opening until 5 pm, so I decided to go to Old Navy. I had run past earlier, but there was no line. There was still no line when I got there, but some people waiting in their cars. I waited outside and was eventually first in line. I bought one item, base layer/compress tights for $13.50 (50% off), and was out the door in 10 minutes.

I decided to go to Dollar general, to try to buy one of those $2 pillows, but I somehow accidentally went to Family Dollar instead. It was a new Dollar General, in a part of town I'm unfamiliar with, and Family Dollar was also in the general area. Bought two 2-liter bottles of Sprite Zero for $1 each (regular price $1.50 each).

I then wanted to go to JC Penney, but I got sidetracked along the way, stopping at Michael's. I considered buying the $20 4-foot lighted tree (a really good deal), but I don't want to have to store a tree all year round. Instead, I bought a foot-high tree with a red velvet sack base for $4.20 (40% off).

I then went to Toys R Us because I saw there was no line outside. However, they were still letting people inside in batches. I briefly considered buying a giant Olaf plush doll, but I mainly just browsed.

By then it was a bit after 5:30 pm, and the mall, Target, and Sears were opening at 6 pm. I went to the mall and intended to visit JC Penney which I knew was already open. However, I ended up going to the Pie Sporting Goods store which I hadn't realized was open. I just browsed for a bit and waited for them to open the mall entrance.

Inside the mall, I wandered around for a bit, walking through JC Penney to look for snow globes (which I did not see, but by then it was over an hour after they had opened). I then went to Sears where I bought the pillow I coveted. It was really the only must-buy item on my list this year. It cost $2.00 (regular price $5.00). The receipt I received for the $2 pillow was about 28 inches long, including a number of coupons.

I wandered around the mall a bit more, and then I went to Target. The Target store at my mall did not open any of their mall entrances. Instead, they made people enter and leave through the main, direct entrance. I bought another pair of compression/base tights for $13.80 (40% off) and two pairs of shorts for $6.00 each (40% off). The second pair of shorts was an indulgence-- I really didn't need the extra pair. This was at 6:35 pm.

After wandering around the mall some more (JC Penney to look for slippers, but I couldn't find any that fit well. Payless Shoes, again looking for slippers.), I left and went to Staples where I contemplated buying an iPad mini 2. I'm not sure if they had any left to sell, and I didn't inquire. Instead, I bought some 2015 planner page refills which wasn't actually on sale ($41), but it was something that I had been needing to buy.

At the mall, I noticed that a number of stores weren't open during mall hours. Instead, they were keeping their own opening hours (Gamestop at midnight, Apple Store at 8:00 am Friday, etc.) I think it means that mall management is being less strict this year with demanding that stores open mall hours. Many food court restaurants were open for business.

When out shopping, it felt as if it were early in the morning on Friday, even though it wasn't.

I then went home, getting back at 8:15 pm. My plan is to go to bed and get up Friday morning to continue my Black Friday shopping. But, so far "mission accomplished". I got my $2 pillow. My holiday season is now complete.

hiker
Forum Moderator

Postby hiker » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:09 pm

All week I've been monitoring the various sales, and had finished almost all my Best Buy shopping with the early access! Then last night I was up until about 6 getting as much of my list as I could, and managed to get everything I wanted from Kohls, JCPenney, and Sears.

From Walmart, I had gotten everything except the Frozen collectors edition blu ray (which was sold out before the sale went live on that it seemed), the 100 pack of tea lights, and the lego creative tower. However, I did manage to keep trying on some of the items, and ended up getting 2 lego towers a few hours later.

From Best Buy, my mom wanted me to get an ipad air 2 64gb, which when that went live, the site would not let me do anything as it kept crashing.. however, I was able to install the app on my phone and breeze through the checkout process! :)

I ordered the Surface Pro 3 from Microsoft site with no problem for my dad.

As for Target, my wife's coworker wanted me to get the $119 tv, but that was sold out rather quickly...

And finally, although I probably shouldn't be spending any more, I really am hoping the $199 best buy tv comes back in stock soon..

As with every year, I spent way too much money, and although I did get nearly everything on my list, I am still trying to max out my credit cards buying things I may or may not need or want...

But, if anyone happened to purchase an extra one of those Frozen blu ray's from Walmart for $9.96, please let me know! :)

lwmjr
Forum Moderator

Postby lwmjr » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:48 pm

dkst0426 wrote:
lwmjr wrote:stopped at JCP for a snowglobe

Did they give you the runaround for it? We were told at the door as they handed out the gift cards (I got a $10 off $10 purchase) that the snowglobes would be available at the register. To drum up business, that's smart of them, because the last couple of years, I've walked in and walked right back out once I got the snowglobe. Anyway, when I went to checkout with my $9.99 item (plus a candy bar I picked up at the register) and after using my $10 off card, they tried to tell me that I was supposed to get the snowglobe when I walked in.

Long story short, one of the managers looked around everywhere behind the register, then told me to wait up front, and she came back with one for me. Whole bunch of people were walking out without asking for theirs, too.

The snow globes were handed out, in the back of the store
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

BeachGirlShops
Black Friday Pro

Postby BeachGirlShops » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:52 pm

Been back from Walmart for awhile. Got everything on my list. The lines were crazy but we survived. The workers actually started the 6pm sales around 5:30 or so which helped. I'm tired. Ready to go back out in the morning.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:03 pm

Shopper X wrote:I wandered around the mall a bit more, and then I went to Target. The Target store at my mall did not open any of their mall entrances. Instead, they made people enter and leave through the main, direct entrance.

Target did that at my mall too...actually I skipped Target tonight because of that. There was a sign on the "gate" that said they'd open that entrance (from the mall into Target) at 11pm which seemed stupid, sinc the mall was gonna close at midnight. I can understand not wanting a big rush from 2 directions at once...but why not open it by 6 30 or 7?

kenziekinz09
Black Friday Pro

Postby kenziekinz09 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:30 pm

I was planning to avoid Walmart but mother wanted that 50" tv....

Walmart was full of people with no home training. Absolutely fulfilled every "people of walmart" stereotype. There was a security crew on duty but police were called for at least one fist fight. Not to mention scores of people with small children or people complaining that "they took the plastic off and it's not even 8pm yet!!!!!1111!!!11" *rolls eyes passionately*

Target was honestly delightful. Not overcrowded, plenty of carts and space to move about the store. Everything on my list was still in stock (that I found, never did see the texting gloves or the $3 socks but I will check tomorrow while people are working). Everyone was enjoying their shopping experience and not worried about pushing people over for a $4 crock pot. 10/10 would do again.

If I wasn't drowning in homework/broke I'd be at a mall right now.
Tek for weird uncle! TEAM SISTER WIVES 8)
My Disney Blog- http://www.kenziewdwcp.blogspot.com/

midmofan
Black Friday Pro

Thursday night non-early recap

Postby midmofan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:06 am

I am not one that would cut short family time on Thanksgiving to shop, but wedid get done and back home in time for me to survey the situation.

In general. Crazy drivers running all over. Almost nailed by two drivers just barreling through red lights. A new thing in our town. Many of the stores had uniformed police inside the front doors and walking around the stores. Talked to several of them. Said it was very hectic but no major problems.

JCP. Got to Penny's right at 7:30 pm. Needless to say, all the $10 cards were gone. Store was busy but not packed. Short lines at all the registers.Parking lot about 1/3 full. As near as I could tell all of the clothing "doorbusters" were still available in most sizes as were the jewelry deals.

Sears. Did not go in but even fewer cars than Penny's.

Old Navy. I Never shop there but my goodness the parking lot was overflowing. Obviously a huge crowd there as they were the only store open in the at complex.

Best Buy. There little after 8:00. Parking lot crowded but not totally full. Talked to the manager and a sales guy I know. They said it was a much better night than last year. Last year they said was a disaster but this year pretty good. All of the items they handed out tickets for were gone but lots of the other items were still available including the $69 tablets and cheaper laptops. Lots of the sale TV and other things still in place. I picked several of the cheap Cruzer memory sticks for work. Would have picked up a Roku for parents as well but BIG SCREW-UP! The Best Buy rewards system crashed and was totally down. You could not redeem points. Could not get certificates. Could not get purchases onto your account. System down both Iin store and via web. I was planning g on using the rewards certificates I have built up so they lost a sale tonight.

Drove by Kohls which is sort of on the back side of wallmart. Parking lot totally full. Didn't look like anywhere to park.

Wallmart. There about 9. Parking lot was jam packed with cars parked in grass but in store not crowded at all. No lines at checkout. Looked like most of the doorbusters long gone. Isles were the pallets would have been wide and empty. Not sure where all the people from the cars were unless the had walked over to kohls or across the road to Target. Did have the $79 laptop/keyboard combos and cheap printers. Lots of cheap DVDs left and some kids toys.

Target. Really just went there to get some Starbucks Christmas blend. Had a Groupon $10 for $5 certificate to use. Still pretty long lines there so I think this was a later stop for a lot of folks.

That's it for tonight. Tomorrow hitting Lowe's and Menards and seeing if Best Buys rewards system is up yet.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:16 am

I had planned to start at PetSmart but I screwed up the alarm so I'm pretty sure I lost any chance at a stocking with a scratcher ticket. Oh well guess it's time to go to the sales that end by noon.

headbanger783
Black Friday Pro

Postby headbanger783 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:20 am

newkirk32 wrote:
jeanerz13 wrote:
Since I was on that end of town I decided to go to the mall anyway since JCP was open at 5 (it's an anchor store) and the rest would open at 6. I wanted to check out some of the cheap sheets (which they didn't have marked properly though they probably would have rung up right) and some tees. They weren't handing out snowglobes at the door so I figured they ran out by the time I got there (5-10 minutes after opening). When I went upstairs though, there was a lady standing next to a table full of boxes... snowglobes... I though it was strange that the snowglobes were being handed out on the upper level of the store instead of at the door...but what do I know...I've never got one before. Smaller than I expected. Anyway, I'll probably go back some time tomorrow or Saturday to pick over leftovers like I usually do (only went out today for the gloves).quote]

Same thing at my JCP, they weren't at the door so I asked someone and they were in the middle of the store on the upper level. Odd..

Not really odd, its good marketing. You go in for the snowglobe but have to walk halfway through the store to get it. They hope you'll pick something up along the way instead of just giving them out at the door where you can turn around and leave....whether or not that strategy works or not is another question....

newkirk32
Black Friday Pro

Postby newkirk32 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:40 am

Just got back --

On Thursday, hit up walmart for the cheap DVDs, bought about 20, and went to JCP for the snowglobe and got a couple of shirts.

Went to Petsmart this morning, and stood in line for an hour. Got the stocking, a $5 off coupon with the scratch card, and 25 tubs of litter.

Then to Sams. The free breakfast was lame this year. Usually they have something hot, but this time just fruit and orange juice. Grabbed a couple of pillows and my birthday cake. There were tons of Doorbuster TVs left at the front.

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:28 am

Wednesday- part of my TRU ordered.

Thursday morning- Rest of Toys R Us ordered BUT still did not get everything.. I believe there were quite a few bait and switches with TRU this year...lots of stuff in the ad was "in store only" despite not being in the ad as "in store only." For example, Playmobil ambulance.

cooked and relaxed.

530 went to Walmart- super crazy per usual except unlike the Lexington area Walmarts our closest Walmart had everything open by 4 pm apparently. I did get lucky with a cart in an aisle right next to the air hockey table I needed. Got the matress topper, comforter set, basketball, socks for kids, sorry game, and some more sheets. I was SOL on the Frozen bedding and the kids guitars.

Came home. Not feeling to well.

330 am Woke up took some meds, said a prayer to hope it is just allergies, drunk some coffee, and left around 430.

457am Got in line at Menards thinking they opened at 5 am. HA HA HA Within 5 minutes I heard others talking about waiting in the cold for another hour. WHOOPS. I left dog toys/bed/gumballs were not worth frostbite.

520 Arrived at Home depot- Got the sleigh with reindeer, real wreaths, garland, and 2 packs of the batteries.

540 am went to Target to see what was left. Got dvds, kids pajamas, throw, and starbucks. No ladies pajamas left tho.

600 Jcpenney to get shoes that were out of stock online for husband, elsa frozen dress was 26 online and out of stock store had it in stock for 16, got some girls yoga stuff, and boys nike stuff.

630 am Went to Kohls. Still a lot left. Got boots, girls boots, some toys, nike outfit or 3, pillows, and 2 playmobil items.

730 am Went to Academy Sports and got some under armour hoodies and shoes for kids.

800 went back by Menards and it was crazier than Walmart last night. I again said "oh heck to the no. "

Shopping Bath and Body online and American Eagle today.

Return to “Rants and Raves”