Fluff news stores that don't understand Black Friday

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Fluff news stores that don't understand Black Friday

Postby BFVet » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:41 pm

Every year I get a be annoyed with news stories about Black Friday from reporters who either don't understand Black Friday, or pretend like they don't just so they can create something to report. A couple examples from the past 12 hours:

[*] Last night on NBC News, they ran a story about how the deals on Black Friday aren't really any better than they are at other times and that your best day for shopping is actually November 24th (Monday of Thanksgiving week) because store are more likely to have what you are looking for in stock. They they went on to show 3 or 4 examples of things that were going to be on sale on Black Friday that were recently advertised for a price at or below their Black Friday price. Well Duh! If you are waiting in line on Black Friday for things that (a) aren't going to be sold out in a matter of hours (if not minutes) and (b) aren't far-and-away the lowest price available all year, then you're simply shopping on Black Friday - you're not "Black Friday Shopping". People don't line up to get 15% off at Kohl's like you can 52 week's a year. People line up to buy a $400 50" TV for $189 that is going to be gone 8 minutes after opening (if not before opening when tickets are handed out).

[*] I just read an article about how some stores "are making a statement" and not opening on Thanksgiving. They listed Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Bed Bath & Beyond, and a bund of stores I've never heard of. Those are stores that don't have Black Friday sales (ok, BB&B will have a 20% of your entire purchase coupon... yay!) and, accordingly, while people may shop there on Black Friday, they are not "Black Friday Shopping" at TJ Maxx. It isn't like Best Buy or WalMart - or even OfficeMax - "making a statement" by closing on Thursday. TJ Maxx is sacrificing nothing by not opening until Friday. (In the story's defense, they did also list Lowe's and Home Depot, and those 2 typically do have decent BF sales).

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Re: Fluff news stores that don't understand Black Friday

Postby carmenslackey » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:11 pm

BFVet wrote:I just read an article about how some stores "are making a statement" and not opening on Thanksgiving. They listed Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Bed Bath & Beyond, and a bund of stores I've never heard of. Those are stores that don't have Black Friday sales (ok, BB&B will have a 20% of your entire purchase coupon... yay!) and, accordingly, while people may shop there on Black Friday, they are not "Black Friday Shopping" at TJ Maxx. It isn't like Best Buy or WalMart - or even OfficeMax - "making a statement" by closing on Thursday. TJ Maxx is sacrificing nothing by not opening until Friday. (In the story's defense, they did also list Lowe's and Home Depot, and those 2 typically do have decent BF sales).

Marshall's, TJ Maxx and Home Goods are all owned by the same parent company and have never been open on Thanksgiving. There's also a handful of other smaller stores like this that I refer to as "ender stores". They're the places you go to after you've hit every major store and got everything that you went out for, but you just don't want to go home yet. I do that just about every year. I'm out all night long, picking through the remnants at the big stores after the initial rush, then hit Lowe's when it opens and get stuff there, then hit all these little stores at the mall and shopping centers that aren't open on turkey day. But you are correct. You aren't really "Black Friday Shopping" if those are the stores that excite you most. You're just shopping. :wink:

On a side note, Gamestop also falls into the 'Not open Thanksgiving' category. However, since they usually open at midnight, that's just a technicality.

shiftyjedi
Black Friday Pro

Postby shiftyjedi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:45 am

Menards for me is the biggest store not open until Friday. They are always a year ahead on off brand electronics selling cheap.
2018 Video Game Comparison Spreadsheet Link (this compares video game item in a grid format)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IrC66il_gdV2fjT4CSwmG3v9zHPuwt_wkBcPNsfUXH8/edit?usp=sharing

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:21 pm

PC Richards continues to give it's employees the day off.

headbanger783
Black Friday Pro

Postby headbanger783 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:55 pm

There are actually a good hunk of stores not opening this Thanksgiving...the list includes:

DSW
Costco (second largest retailer in the US, behind Walmart)
Nordstrom
Dillard's
BJ's
Burlington Coat Factory
REI
American Girl
Crate and Barrel
Jo-Ann Fabrics
TJMaxx
Marshall's
Pier 1 Imports
Publix
Sierra Trading Post
Barnes and Noble
Sam's Club
Home Depot
Patagonia

Not many huge stores but there are a few big ones

iKitsune
Black Friday Pro

Postby iKitsune » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:39 pm

headbanger783 wrote:There are actually a good hunk of stores not opening this Thanksgiving...the list includes:

(snip)
Sam's Club
(snip)

Not many huge stores but there are a few big ones

Good ol' Walmart. Can't have two divisions sending the same message, can ya?

raymacfla
Black Friday Pro

Postby raymacfla » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:11 pm

Great opening statement! None of those stores will ever lose a penny since they are an afterthought in the mind of an already tired and ready to go home Black Friday shopper. Having just enough stores open on Friday should help the traditional shopper, but until Walmart decides to change their ways, people will still lament the Thursday openings.

shiftyjedi
Black Friday Pro

Postby shiftyjedi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:39 am

carmenslackey wrote:
BFVet wrote:I just read an article about how some stores "are making a statement" and not opening on Thanksgiving. They listed Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Bed Bath & Beyond, and a bund of stores I've never heard of. Those are stores that don't have Black Friday sales (ok, BB&B will have a 20% of your entire purchase coupon... yay!) and, accordingly, while people may shop there on Black Friday, they are not "Black Friday Shopping" at TJ Maxx. It isn't like Best Buy or WalMart - or even OfficeMax - "making a statement" by closing on Thursday. TJ Maxx is sacrificing nothing by not opening until Friday. (In the story's defense, they did also list Lowe's and Home Depot, and those 2 typically do have decent BF sales).

Marshall's, TJ Maxx and Home Goods are all owned by the same parent company and have never been open on Thanksgiving. There's also a handful of other smaller stores like this that I refer to as "ender stores". They're the places you go to after you've hit every major store and got everything that you went out for, but you just don't want to go home yet. I do that just about every year. I'm out all night long, picking through the remnants at the big stores after the initial rush, then hit Lowe's when it opens and get stuff there, then hit all these little stores at the mall and shopping centers that aren't open on turkey day. But you are correct. You aren't really "Black Friday Shopping" if those are the stores that excite you most. You're just shopping. :wink:

Agree on the Ender stores. A company should ask themselves if they need to be open on Thanksgiving or can they have the same success waiting until Friday and not having to waste labor pay on disgruntled employee. If you're not Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Radio Shack, Fry's,m Meijer, Kohl's or Old Navy you don't need to open on Thursday. No one is lining up at your store if you don't have as many or as great of deals as one of the other big knocker stores. If you have a unique item for sale people will still buy it the next day. I can see why Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy worry about the disappearing dollars, but these specially stores with solid deals will still have people the next day. People are much more prepared now and if you offer an attractive item to get people in the door they will actually be more likely to come on Friday knowing they have a better chance at the deal and will not be suffering from Fatigue. For instance, Big Lots and Microcenter both are listed as TBD and both of them give me no reason to show up on Thursday. If they open up at 7AM and the deals are good until 7 or 8 at night, I might show up on BF and clip the stuff I didn't get from the other shops.

Walgreen's is the perfect example of being open on Thanksgiving when they don't need to be. They are trying to steal the early dollar and satisfy the irresponsible Pharmacy customers. I guess it works for them, they might as well do it, but think of all the goodwill they could have by just staying closed.
2018 Video Game Comparison Spreadsheet Link (this compares video game item in a grid format)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IrC66il_gdV2fjT4CSwmG3v9zHPuwt_wkBcPNsfUXH8/edit?usp=sharing

techgirlable
Black Friday Newbie

Postby techgirlable » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:11 pm

BFVet wrote:Every year I get a be annoyed with news stories about Black Friday from reporters who either don't understand Black Friday, or pretend like they don't just so they can create something to report. A couple examples from the past 12 hours:

[*] Last night on NBC News, they ran a story about how the deals on Black Friday aren't really any better than they are at other times and that your best day for shopping is actually November 24th (Monday of Thanksgiving week) because store are more likely to have what you are looking for in stock. They they went on to show 3 or 4 examples of things that were going to be on sale on Black Friday that were recently advertised for a price at or below their Black Friday price. Well Duh! If you are waiting in line on Black Friday for things that (a) aren't going to be sold out in a matter of hours (if not minutes) and (b) aren't far-and-away the lowest price available all year, then you're simply shopping on Black Friday - you're not "Black Friday Shopping". People don't line up to get 15% off at Kohl's like you can 52 week's a year. People line up to buy a $400 50" TV for $189 that is going to be gone 8 minutes after opening (if not before opening when tickets are handed out).

[*] I just read an article about how some stores "are making a statement" and not opening on Thanksgiving. They listed Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Bed Bath & Beyond, and a bund of stores I've never heard of. Those are stores that don't have Black Friday sales (ok, BB&B will have a 20% of your entire purchase coupon... yay!) and, accordingly, while people may shop there on Black Friday, they are not "Black Friday Shopping" at TJ Maxx. It isn't like Best Buy or WalMart - or even OfficeMax - "making a statement" by closing on Thursday. TJ Maxx is sacrificing nothing by not opening until Friday. (In the story's defense, they did also list Lowe's and Home Depot, and those 2 typically do have decent BF sales).

Lowes and Home Depot generally have their November savings all week, if not all month long, though. I dont think they really want to encourage doorbusting, so they just offer awesome deals for a longer time. I dont think they lose anything, either, by not opening until Friday.

raymacfla
Black Friday Pro

Postby raymacfla » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:58 am

I just noticed that Publix was on the list. Since it is a SUPERMARKET, most others would stay open until late morning on Thanksgiving as a service to it's customers who randomly forget things while still giving time for employees to join their families for dinner.
I consider all of the lesser (End cap) stores to blood-sucking leeches on Black Friday. They have little or no value on this day, but will be the first to cry foul if someone else changes their opening hours. I also do not consider any membership club to be of any use to those outside of the membership circle, and should be relegated to a sub forum or thread of their own. Just for fun, I have put up a list of six categories. Where would you place your favorite store?

BIG BOX Stores (Walmart, Best Buy, etc)
Blood Sucking Leeches (TJMaxx, Marshalls, etc)
Membership Only Clubs (Costco, Sams, etc)
Military Exchanges (Navy Exchange, MCX,AAFEES, etc)
Super Discounters (Dollar type)
Outlets (Special drive to strip malls off of interstates)

Return to “Rants and Raves”