why line up early at best buy?

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

why line up early at best buy?

Postby cinemike16 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:49 pm

Its that time of year, we start seeing news reports of the crazy and unemployed lining up for the 'big' sales already. My question is, why is it always Best Buy? The last few years they've had one or two doorbusters that may be considered "hot buys" but so do other retailers. What, no one cares to "camp" out front of Target or Walmart. The latter may be difficult with so many Walmart stores being open 24x7 but at least if you're "camping" there you'll have 24hr access to a toilet and even some prepared foods.

The only reason I can think of why anyone would line up 20+ days early for a BF sale is if they're looking for attention. In which case, why not do something that isn't done every year, set up a tent in the Target parking lot instead.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Re: why line up early at best buy?

Postby steffj89 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:31 pm

I think some of it you have to look at the age bracket of the consumers because as you pointed out it is mostly young and unemployed, which means my guess in a lot of cases is college students or work jobs that are not huge money /stability type jobs....I haven't ever seen them camp more than 8 days around here and that was the 2 years of REALLY major laptop deals....usually 2-3 days is the norm considering thats a week they are out of school makes sense...i think its something to relieve the boredom.
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:11 am

I think for them it's just tradition. they likely started at best buy and just continue to do it.
Best Buy used to be THE place to line up at, they are used to people lining up so its probably easier to do it there than any other store.

rcav8r
Black Friday Pro

Postby rcav8r » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:36 pm

I think these 2 ladies either are not working, have grown or no children, and have someone else as the breadwinner in the family, or they are on the dole. No other way they can be out that early (which is stupid, BTW).

And yes, they are attention seeking.

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:18 pm

bfaddict wrote:I think for them it's just tradition. they likely started at best buy and just continue to do it.
Best Buy used to be THE place to line up at, they are used to people lining up so its probably easier to do it there than any other store.

See that's what I don't get, how did Best Buy receive the reputation of being "THE place to line up at"??? Their deals have always seemed to be on par with other retailers at least locally. I never fully understood the logic of our local best buy store, it's always busier than Walmart on BF while the other 364 days of the year it's practically dead. My only assumption to that reasoning is that Best Buy is the last specialty B&M store around here.

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:59 pm

BFAddict sort of hit on the head for our group.

It's mainly tradition.

The question "Why Best Buy" pops up, and it has a lot to do with us knowing employees there, how they treat us, and the space there is better than other retailers in terms of facilities and how things are run.
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:27 pm

Complete waste of time. I dont like the TVs they are offering (just 2 hdmi ports and 60hz?) and last year I went to BB three hours after the open. They had stacks of every doorbuster left.

i'm holding out for a Cyber Monday super tv special.. but I generally see stores discounting 2013 models.

raymacfla
Black Friday Pro

Postby raymacfla » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:35 pm

These particular ladies are part of a 10 person group. They trade out with other members and since their husbands are the breadwinners, they naturally get the daytime shift. This is their 6th year overall. Some locations are highly competitive. It is a never-ending game of one-upmanship. California was always known for the students getting the spoils, due to their long breaks. Families decided to band together to beat them consistently and you have to camp out further than their break will allow them to camp. After you win that scenario, you have to keep your confederation strong in order for you to not make your partners your future competition.

Unfortunately, things like freebies, short stock, and line ethics sometimes will get in the way (think other family members and just how many are allowed into the group at the last minute). We have managed to keep our integrity for over 8 years now, even though there have been some disagreements. As another person hinted, locations are sometimes traditions which are hard to break. In our area, we enjoy 5 best Buys, yet only 1 is coveted for it's prime location. We once ceded another location because the competition was stiff (although we always beat them) and realized that it was only a matter of time where we would either lose out to the other group, or would have to escalate the amount of time required to guarantee first place.

Keep another thing in mind as you ponder the situation these ladies are in. Did you see a tent? Even though they are referred to as campers, and the media said that tents were pitched, there is no tent. They are merely line holders who huddle in sleeping bags and folding chairs. They are basically scamming the media, getting people upset and letting them think the worst while they keep their space in line until ticket time. Those of us who truly camp will stay on site unless we shower or get supplies. The quickest way to break up chair sitters is to offer 2 of the 10 Ipads. If you remember the two ladies in Florida, then you know how that worked out.

Return to “Rants and Raves”