The ads so far are AWFUL this year.

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

TexasDealGirl
Black Friday Pro

Re: The ads so far are AWFUL this year.

Postby TexasDealGirl » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:02 am

I feel ya Gman. I'm not super excited about anything this year either. Bleh. I want to get excited, I really do! There are some deals out there, just not things I'm looking for.

angelmse
Black Friday Pro

Postby angelmse » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:21 pm

I LOVE BF Shopping.... For me as a single Mom, of a GREAT boy, It is my 1 night out, that Gma will babysit for, (unless emergency). I have been a member of this site since the beginning and I must say the peeps on here are FABULOUS. I am forever grateful for all the hard work put in. With that said....... I save an average of 60-80% on my Santa shopping. I am the main "Santa" for my son, and have a very small budget, so I REALLY have to stretch my $'s. With the info I gather from this site, I am able to provide an AWESOME Christmas for my son.

While I am not over impressed with this years sales, I am still excited about getting my deals and being out there. And catching up with 'old" friends in here" It does help A Lot that I live in Arizona, and don't have the cold to deal with. :wink:
So to all A HAPPY BF....

angelmse
Black Friday Pro

Postby angelmse » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:48 pm

I must add...........
I am NOT a fan of the early store openings. I believe BF is Santa's night to shop and should remain that way. I miss the days when EVERYONE was able to spend Thanksgiving with friends and family, including the peeps who work BF. I think it is better to have early am opening times. With these Thursday, grey Thursday, times, I am tripping over kids, carts, strollers, 60,000 college students from ASU and snowbirds, oh and the peeps that drive up from Mexico to shop. Yeah early am openings were better. And yet.......

I can't wait to shop!!!!!!! :D

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:22 pm

I like the Thursday openings better, I just wish they weren't all opening at the exact freakin' time. I can't be everywhere at once.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:00 pm

teknoge3k wrote:I like the Thursday openings better, I just wish they weren't all opening at the exact freakin' time. I can't be everywhere at once.

I know!!! I hate that so much!!!!!! The last two years were nearly perfect.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:46 pm

teknoge3k wrote:I like the Thursday openings better, I just wish they weren't all opening at the exact freakin' time. I can't be everywhere at once.

Its time for an update my friend
Made to multi task with ease
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:21 am

Opening times are Bleh IMO, but what makes it worse is that the sales are bad. I see a handful of things to get, and its not really anything big. We finished my daughter's gifts already and my son's stuff is not on sale anywhere so it doesn't matter. I'm basically using the sales to try and find good deals for necessities (underwear, socks, household goods, etc).

This is the first Black Friday that I can remember where I could easily just stay home and be as productive. Sad

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:29 pm

To me...the opening times are just a push so these stores can usurp Thanksgiving like they do every major holiday except Christmas at the moment.

However, almost all of them are having online deals - there are some in-store doorbusters but with so much online presence between last night and today, why does anyone really have to go out to these big-time retail stores when you have each store giving so many options online?

Between increasing an online presence, affording instore pickup, and pushing more and more into unopened holidays, Retail is really striving to find an identity to save itself.

angelmse
Black Friday Pro

Postby angelmse » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:31 pm

On the news today they did a story on the low sales of BF and the early opening times. They talked about how the retailers may have shot themselves in the foot because with the early times they had to pay employees dbl time/holiday pay and the sales were much lower than expected. They have heard from many "shoppers" that they did not like/approve of the early/Thanksgiving openings: didn't think it was fair/right for the employees to have to work. It went into other details, I just didn't hear it all. I thought it was interesting. :?

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:59 am

angelmse wrote:On the news today they did a story on the low sales of BF and the early opening times. They talked about how the retailers may have shot themselves in the foot because with the early times they had to pay employees dbl time/holiday pay and the sales were much lower than expected. They have heard from many "shoppers" that they did not like/approve of the early/Thanksgiving openings: didn't think it was fair/right for the employees to have to work. It went into other details, I just didn't hear it all. I thought it was interesting. :?

I think that plus the online sales that started earlier in the week are all contributing to the decline. I think you'll consider to see the online sales pushed harder and harder in future years while the in-store thing is slowing declining.

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:37 am

guitarist19862005 wrote:I think you'll consider to see the online sales pushed harder and harder in future years while the in-store thing is slowing declining.

My hubby was just saying something similar to me this morning. He said that he thought everything was just going to move online within the next 5 years so I better enjoy my in-store shopping while I still can. I hate to see it go that way, but I do see his point. This whole entire BF I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone or perhaps an alternate universe. It was just way too easy to get everything on my list. I'm not saying I enjoy the fist fights over Barbie dolls and Tickle-Me Elmos, but those sure were the days...

shiftyjedi
Black Friday Pro

Postby shiftyjedi » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:20 am

s
angelmse wrote:On the news today they did a story on the low sales of BF and the early opening times. They talked about how the retailers may have shot themselves in the foot because with the early times they had to pay employees dbl time/holiday pay and the sales were much lower than expected. They have heard from many "shoppers" that they did not like/approve of the early/Thanksgiving openings: didn't think it was fair/right for the employees to have to work. It went into other details, I just didn't hear it all. I thought it was interesting. :?

To be honest most people really don't care about the employees that much. I think a this point as Americans we understand market principals that if you want something you have to sacrifice to get something and some is always going increase the sacrifice to get maximum gain. The only way to stop this is to create a line that decreases the maximum gain. Most people I think don't mind shopping on Thanksgiving, but I think they are like me and wish stores didn't open so early on Thanksgiving. When retailers saw the increase in number of people walking through the door at 10PM on Thanksgiving and even more at 8PM everyone knew it was only going to get sooner. However, I think 6PM has driven more people to online simply because it's still dinner time. If the stores moved the starting times to 9PM, I think it would relieve the much stigmatization of cutting into family time and they would maintain most of there same sales. It would go back to instead of being something that interrupts or stops Thanksgiving, it would be more of something that occurs after the family get together is over. I'm sure this cannot happen until the sales analytic indicate that this would move another dollar in the Walmart heirs pocket. It takes one of these big retail companies some brazen risk to go backwards and hope they can be rewarded for their potential sacrifice of lost sales.
2018 Video Game Comparison Spreadsheet Link (this compares video game item in a grid format)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IrC66il_gdV2fjT4CSwmG3v9zHPuwt_wkBcPNsfUXH8/edit?usp=sharing

Return to “Rants and Raves”