The ads so far are AWFUL this year.

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Re: The ads so far are AWFUL this year.

Postby jediknight » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:04 pm

Target's ad is what one would consider a mediocre to ok add a few years ago. Still way to many rebates for some stores on appliances and for Target if one looks closely, not the best quality in items or even percent off. And as for the Xbox One...well MS is practically trying to give them away at this point lol!
Last edited by jediknight on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:07 pm

cmac1337 wrote:G, you, of all people, should have more faith than that. Black Friday is just evolving, it's not dying.

They must be grumpy people who can't deal with change. If BF stayed the same they'd rant about that to. The U.S. has too much of everything.

digby723
Black Friday Pro

Postby digby723 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:07 pm

I think the ads are a bit lackluster this year. I'm hoping for some good sales leading up to BF though, but, I'm also not in need of/really wanting anything this year. Which is maybe why I think they're pretty meh this year. :lol:

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:17 am

The ads look worse and worse every year because they are the same thing every year.

digby723
Black Friday Pro

Postby digby723 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:10 pm

bfaddict wrote:The ads look worse and worse every year because they are the same thing every year.

That's true!!! You can always count on the same items popping up in the ads year after year! Although I'm surprised there aren't that many tablet deals out this year. I got mine on BF last year and it seemed like every ad had ridiculous amounts of tablets on sale.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:10 pm

bfaddict wrote:The ads look worse and worse every year because they are the same thing every year.

Has the 40" Westinghouse TV been on sale since 2009 or does it just seem like it?

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:58 pm

Vols44 wrote:

Has the 40" Westinghouse TV been on sale since 2009 or does it just seem like it?

someone should make a list of the price it has been each year ;)

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:44 pm

Vols44 wrote:

its been either the Westinghouse or Element
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

iKitsune
Black Friday Pro

Postby iKitsune » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:45 pm

It's sad, there will be no K-Mart Black Friday in Huntsville this year - the location here started liquidation around the middle of October. :(

spideysensetingling
Black Friday Pro

Postby spideysensetingling » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:08 pm

Hey only at KMART could I Get a free box of Captain Crunch..These BF Ads this year are golden. LOL
What a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:19 pm

spideysensetingling wrote:Hey only at KMART could I Get a free box of Captain Crunch..These BF Ads this year are golden. LOL
What a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol! They really are a joke - they should have given a free box of Cheerios :)

The ads are getting worse and worse. Kmart is the worst ad in the history of the holiday, but each year the sale prices get less and less with more retailers manipulating the appearance of sale prices - either showing a percent off from the MSRP instead of the steady sale price or even increasing prices now to make items seem cheaper later (I have seen Amazon and others do this just this week and any saavy shopper sees this throughout the year). In addition, certain sale items can be found now or just a little higher in price than Black Friday - which begs the question if one even needs to go through the aggravation since, imo, more and more inexperienced people are lining up and creating a ruckus at certain stores. However, most will undoubtedly think the sales are spectacular...just like the people already lining up at the Best Buy in Texas lol! :mrgreen:

shiftyjedi
Black Friday Pro

Postby shiftyjedi » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:24 am

jediknight wrote:
spideysensetingling wrote:Hey only at KMART could I Get a free box of Captain Crunch..These BF Ads this year are golden. LOL
What a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol! They really are a joke - they should have given a free box of Cheerios :)

The ads are getting worse and worse. Kmart is the worst ad in the history of the holiday, but each year the sale prices get less and less with more retailers manipulating the appearance of sale prices - either showing a percent off from the MSRP instead of the steady sale price or even increasing prices now to make items seem cheaper later (I have seen Amazon and others do this just this week and any saavy shopper sees this throughout the year). In addition, certain sale items can be found now or just a little higher in price than Black Friday - which begs the question if one even needs to go through the aggravation since, imo, more and more inexperienced people are lining up and creating a ruckus at certain stores. However, most will undoubtedly think the sales are spectacular...just like the people already lining up at the Best Buy in Texas lol! :mrgreen:

Couple of things,
K-Mart will not be around next year. That is why their ad is horrible. There deals relay on are K-Mart dollars, and not just a few but all of them. While other stores do offer this time of deal, K-Mart's looks like a Cash on Hand grab. When you have a cash on hand grab it means only one thing, K-Mart has no cash on hand. This company is toast.

When you can find Gravity on Blu-Ray for $4 on a normal sale, Black Friday will be dead. Until than picking out tier 3 deals as potentially could be better online or at another date is a farce of the curmudgeon.
2018 Video Game Comparison Spreadsheet Link (this compares video game item in a grid format)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IrC66il_gdV2fjT4CSwmG3v9zHPuwt_wkBcPNsfUXH8/edit?usp=sharing

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:19 pm

It creeps forward every year.. places are already having pre-BF sales.. prices they say are the same as they will be on BF.

BF sales will continue to creep forwards until it all just becomes "black november".

Cyber Monday is still fairly new, I'd just see what pops up then.

raymacfla
Black Friday Pro

Postby raymacfla » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:59 pm

cmac1337 wrote:G, you, of all people, should have more faith than that. Black Friday is just evolving, it's not dying.

Amen brother! After reading some of the early comments one has to wonder why they are even here. I hear so much negative crap on Slick deals and it usually revolves around the "I can get it better on...." mantra that they no longer hold any interest in my book as a Black Friday go to site. Black Friday is the reason for all of the extended sales and without it, they wouldn't even care to offer a thing.

We are the beneficiaries of this new style of shopping, unheard of just 10 years ago when few had more than dial-up or DSL. Our super-fast cable and fios connections make the effort online worthwhile. We should be fortunate that brick and mortar establishments are giving us what they can(although 60hz TVs are an insult, Best Buy).

Here's to the hope that more members here can keep the faith and try to be more positive during the shopping season.

mabrey
Black Friday Pro

Postby mabrey » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:20 am

So far the only store that really got ME excited is Office Depot/Office Max. I almost forgot to check therir ad out too. There are a few good deals at some other stores, but it is far less than other years.

Return to “Rants and Raves”