Mail in rebates? WTF??

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Re: Mail in rebates? WTF??

Postby Vols44 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:07 pm

Ad prices look great before those three dreaded letters appear. I would like to know purchase to received MIR ratios. For all we know companies are using them to massage their profit margins and include them in marketing models because they are an effective selling tool.

Finally a topic we can all get steamed about. :P

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:24 pm

Vols44 wrote:Ad prices look great before those three dreaded letters appear. I would like to know purchase to received MIR ratios. For all we know companies are using them to massage their profit margins and include them in marketing models because they are an effective selling tool.

I stated those ratios earlier in this thread. ;)
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:51 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
Vols44 wrote:Ad prices look great before those three dreaded letters appear. I would like to know purchase to received MIR ratios. For all we know companies are using them to massage their profit margins and include them in marketing models because they are an effective selling tool.

I stated those ratios earlier in this thread. ;)

I wonder what the other 5% do with their rebates. I agree with the age groups. Young people don't want to be bothered and senior forget. My wife doesn't wan to take the time and I want my money back from the initial investment. Females making over 100k? That is a select group.

Looking back at your original post gave me an election day participation flashback.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:04 pm

I wonder what percentage of potential sales are lost when there is a mail-in rebate? Stores might make a little bit of money from unclaimed rebates but lose more money from decreased sales.

caravaggio
Black Friday Pro

Postby caravaggio » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:58 pm

This thread is curious because the only people to complain openly in stores about mail in rebates are older customers. So they both remember and still hate them. :lol:

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:48 pm

It should be pointed out that "back in the day" you could frequently get things for free or near-free with mail in rebates. I still probably have 1,000 CDRs sitting around because you used to be able to load up on 100 pack spindles for free after MIR. Other stuff too - keyboards, speakers, cd drives....

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:14 pm

BFVet wrote:It should be pointed out that "back in the day" you could frequently get things for free or near-free with mail in rebates. I still probably have 1,000 CDRs sitting around because you used to be able to load up on 100 pack spindles for free after MIR. Other stuff too - keyboards, speakers, cd drives....

yea I remember getting my parents a satalite radio car receiver for xmas one year that was nearly free after rebate (thank you Comp USA black friday) - and then the next year, no more!

rcav8r
Black Friday Pro

Postby rcav8r » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:38 pm

The extra profit angle is correct. Menards seems to be running their 11% rebates every month now (mail in). I bet they get a nice boost in profits from the unclaimed rebates.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:33 pm

rcav8r wrote:The extra profit angle is correct. Menards seems to be running their 11% rebates every month now (mail in). I bet they get a nice boost in profits from the unclaimed rebates.

And those ones surprise me the most because you are just send a postcard. Yea you have to sign it when you redeem it but the workers don't care who's name you sign lol
I actually surprised I ALWAYS get those when I send in for them. Haven't had one lost yet.

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:47 pm

So, do you guys think the Beats on sale at Radio Shack (with a MIR) is worth it compared to Target?
It just isn't Black Friday when it is Thursday.......

mabrey
Black Friday Pro

Postby mabrey » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:05 am

I have forgotten to send in rebates & I have not received rebates that I have sent in. Bottom line is I only look at what $$ I am paying out. If it's a rebate I skip over it & go to the next item or the next store.
Last edited by mabrey on Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:53 am

Don't forget that Radio Shack will price match as well this year. :wink:

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:52 pm

I think the best (or should I say worst) ones are the ones that give maybe $2 back, but you have to use your own stamp to mail in and claim it. So you're only netting 75% of the rebate value.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:22 pm

jeanerz13 wrote:I think the best (or should I say worst) ones are the ones that give maybe $2 back, but you have to use your own stamp to mail in and claim it. So you're only netting 75% of the rebate value.

Aren't pretty much all rebates done online now?

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:34 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
jeanerz13 wrote:I think the best (or should I say worst) ones are the ones that give maybe $2 back, but you have to use your own stamp to mail in and claim it. So you're only netting 75% of the rebate value.

Aren't pretty much all rebates done online now?

Not really unfortunately.

Return to “Rants and Raves”