Mail in rebates? WTF??

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Mail in rebates? WTF??

Postby drinkgreen » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:44 pm

Ok, I know there have probably been occasional deals like this in the past, but a good portion of Kohl's and JCPenney's doorbusters are Mail In Rebates. What is the end game in this and who honestly goes for MIR? When I see that, I just want to walk away.

HighwayForFriday
Black Friday Pro

Re: Mail in rebates? WTF??

Postby HighwayForFriday » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:02 pm

It's all for profit...people buy their stuff, forget about the MIR or are too lazy to fill it out, and Kohl's makes a profit.
HighwayForFriday??? On Black Friday you gotta make a run to the nearest highway for your favorite deals duh!

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:41 pm

HighwayForFriday wrote:It's all for profit...people buy their stuff, forget about the MIR or are too lazy to fill it out, and Kohl's makes a profit.

Only 47% of people send in rebates always. Only 23% of people sometimes send in rebates. 25% never send in rebates.

The people who took advantage of MIR, are women 35-64yrs old with a household income of $100k+

That shows right there that companies make money on MIR because people just don't submit them.

*source is Consumer Reports
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:38 pm

Pretty much the only thing I get mail in rebates for is auto parts these days and most of them are through the store's website. I used to have to mail them all the time when I bought new movies, but it was a bit of a pain as I was sending them to the manufacturer (Universal, Sony, Disney) and they would claim they didn't receive proper proofs of purchase (I'd send a photocopy of my receipt and original UPC). For a buck or two it wasn't worth the hassle of being treated as a shoplifter. Today a lot of rebates can be submitted online that there shouldn't be any excuse not to shop for them other than pure laziness.

inthedark
Black Friday Pro

Postby inthedark » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:43 pm

I avoid mail in rebates even if it seems like a good deal. I am not one that forgets, I just never seem to get them back.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:26 pm

They've been doing this for years now

I have no problem getting rebates when I send them in. I try to avoid them tho.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:25 am

drinkgreen wrote:Ok, I know there have probably been occasional deals like this in the past, but a good portion of Kohl's and JCPenney's doorbusters are Mail In Rebates. What is the end game in this and who honestly goes for MIR? When I see that, I just want to walk away.

If you don't want to bother with a MIR to capture the 60-80% savings then shop elsewhere. I'm sure Target or T.J. Maxx has those items for the same price right now. Your use of the phrase "good portion pertain to kitchen items on pages 1-3 of a 72 page ad for a clothing retailer.

Online MIR's take a couple of minutes. Is it worth your time to save 10-20 bucks in that amount of time?

inthedark
Black Friday Pro

Postby inthedark » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:50 pm

Vols44 wrote:
drinkgreen wrote:Ok, I know there have probably been occasional deals like this in the past, but a good portion of Kohl's and JCPenney's doorbusters are Mail In Rebates. What is the end game in this and who honestly goes for MIR? When I see that, I just want to walk away.

If you don't want to bother with a MIR to capture the 60-80% savings then shop elsewhere. I'm sure Target or T.J. Maxx has those items for the same price right now. Your use of the phrase "good portion pertain to kitchen items on pages 1-3 of a 72 page ad for a clothing retailer.

Online MIR's take a couple of minutes. Is it worth your time to save 10-20 bucks in that amount of time?

:shock:

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:31 pm

Ahhh you young uns. I remember a day.....

It used to be that "Black Saturday" was reserved for filling out and mailing in mail-in rebates. Back in the days when stores didn't actually open until 6:00am or later on Friday (I still remember being top 100 in line at Best Buy when showing up at 3:00am, and then finishing my shopping there and still getting to TRU for their 7:00am opening), *everything* was mail in rebates. And we didn't have none of this "online rebate" crap either. You were filling out manual forms, cutting proofs of purchase and making copies of your receipt. I should check my spreadsheets from those years, but I remember one year spending around $1,000 at Best Buy, and then getting over $500 back in rebates (6-8 weeks later).

Oh, and back in the day, they'd send you an actual check for your rebate. No prepaid VISA card with $10 on it.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:03 pm

BFVet wrote:Ahhh you young uns. I remember a day.....

It used to be that "Black Saturday" was reserved for filling out and mailing in mail-in rebates. Back in the days when stores didn't actually open until 6:00am or later on Friday (I still remember being top 100 in line at Best Buy when showing up at 3:00am, and then finishing my shopping there and still getting to TRU for their 7:00am opening), *everything* was mail in rebates. And we didn't have none of this "online rebate" crap either. You were filling out manual forms, cutting proofs of purchase and making copies of your receipt. I should check my spreadsheets from those years, but I remember one year spending around $1,000 at Best Buy, and then getting over $500 back in rebates (6-8 weeks later).

Oh, and back in the day, they'd send you an actual check for your rebate. No prepaid VISA card with $10 on it.

Thank you for the reality check. Some people rant if they have to lift an extra finger for anything. Should we label them BF grinches?

inthedark
Black Friday Pro

Postby inthedark » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Vols44 wrote:
BFVet wrote:Ahhh you young uns. I remember a day.....

Thank you for the reality check. Some people rant if they have to lift an extra finger for anything. Should we label them BF grinches?

I dont think anyone was really ranting but you did get a little rude and defensive.

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:36 pm

inthedark wrote:
Vols44 wrote:

:shock:

I agree...what a grumpy ass on here :lol: If people don't like the rebates, then they have a an option to say so. Most are counting on you forgeting as life can throw some curves...and the fact that you have to wait for your savings instead of instantly saving.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:29 pm

I have to question whether mail-in rebates actually work. That is, whether they attract customers and increase sales. When I see a mail-in rebate deal in an ad, I simply ignore it. An item with a mail-in rebate is basically just a full-price, non-discounted item.

If they were more guaranteed, I might feel differently. As it is now, it's like a lottery ticket. Maybe you'll actually get your money, but maybe you won't.

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:10 am

Shopper X wrote:I have to question whether mail-in rebates actually work. That is, whether they attract customers and increase sales. When I see a mail-in rebate deal in an ad, I simply ignore it. An item with a mail-in rebate is basically just a full-price, non-discounted item.

If they were more guaranteed, I might feel differently. As it is now, it's like a lottery ticket. Maybe you'll actually get your money, but maybe you won't.

That's an issue I have with them as well. I have registered for rebates online in the past where I was able to track my progress and it stated when my check or gift card (depending on the tender they allowed) would be on the way.

However, it is a chance. A chance that you fill everything out, a chance that they receive it - people have to keep records just in case something gets lost in the mail. Not to mention, it can take weeks or sometimes a couple of months depending on Holiday mail. As far as I'm concerned, I have to pay for, as you said "full-price" and then wait to get some money back. Sometimes, it is just not worth it.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:52 am

Shopper X wrote:I have to question whether mail-in rebates actually work. That is, whether they attract customers and increase sales. When I see a mail-in rebate deal in an ad, I simply ignore it. An item with a mail-in rebate is basically just a full-price, non-discounted item.

I have done a lot of rebates and there has never been a time where I did not receive it. If you're not getting them I would probably give a side-eye to your local USPS or delivery person.

Return to “Rants and Raves”