They closed my Kmart

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

barbd00
Black Friday Pro

They closed my Kmart

Postby barbd00 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:32 pm

The Kmart closest to me (about 45 minutes away) closed this summer. I rarely go there any other time, but it is always my "first" official start of BF. We would wait for them to open, getting there anywhere from half an hour ahead to three hours early if it's something really good.

And now, I simply am lost this season. :(

Just a rant. Other than the people I shop with, no one gets it.

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Re: They closed my Kmart

Postby guitarist19862005 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:05 pm

It's sad to say, but I am sure you will not be the only missing their particular stopping place this year. I have not been in Kmart for quite some time on Black Friday, but I know a lot of people who do go there.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:58 pm

I don't go to the Kmart close to me much but I go there often enough that I would miss it if it closed! I'm honestly surprised it stayed open..... might be because there are literally no other stores around it (other than gordman's) in like a 15-20 min driving distance.

Kento87
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kento87 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:32 am

They have closed or in the process of closing all the kmarts in a 45 min drive of me. Sad, no more Tday tradition :(

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:50 am

There is a Kmart near me, but there is a weird smell to that store. I can't peg it, but it's strong and just dirty smelling...maybe like a chemical or overcooked food. I wonder if something got spilled on the floor when they were building the place, but I would think that might go away after awhile. It's only in one spot as you enter but it is really odd and bothers me so I avoid the store. It's been there each time I shopped. I haven't shopped there in a couple of years. I should check to see if it's gone :lol:

Our Sears store closed last year. So that one is off the list.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:52 am

The kmart by me is closing also and I used to go there first also. Kmart changed over the years. I remember stopping there after church and grabbing a hot dog and soda with my grandma. I think somewhere along the line they had taken a turn for the worse and sadly this is the end of it. The marsh by it closed as well so now there is a huge dead zone at that intersection. Bummer

blueredzone
Black Friday Pro

Postby blueredzone » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:49 am

sportymonkey wrote:The kmart by me is closing also and I used to go there first also. Kmart changed over the years. I remember stopping there after church and grabbing a hot dog and soda with my grandma. I think somewhere along the line they had taken a turn for the worse and sadly this is the end of it. The marsh by it closed as well so now there is a huge dead zone at that intersection. Bummer

marsh... you must be from Indiana. I am from indy, and I don't think there is a kmart around anymore at least all i know of have closed. I think "Roses" has taken over the kmart buildings.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:25 am

blueredzone wrote:
sportymonkey wrote:The kmart by me is closing also and I used to go there first also. Kmart changed over the years. I remember stopping there after church and grabbing a hot dog and soda with my grandma. I think somewhere along the line they had taken a turn for the worse and sadly this is the end of it. The marsh by it closed as well so now there is a huge dead zone at that intersection. Bummer

marsh... you must be from Indiana. I am from indy, and I don't think there is a kmart around anymore at least all i know of have closed. I think "Roses" has taken over the kmart buildings.

Ding Ding!! Yep I'm southern indiana. There is still a super K in beech grove but the Marsh that was near there is now an Ollies :(

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:05 pm

I am originally from IN, but moved to KY years ago. My first job was at Marsh on Madison Ave.! Loved working there, I was their youngest manager. It was a fun job, pay was lousy, but I was young and well it was $$ haha..
I'm really sad that they closed the Kmart on Madison Ave. spent a lot of time there when I was a teenager, either with my mom, or sneaking away from school @ lunchtime to eat with my friends at the Little Ceaser's inside Kmart lol I remember years ago when I was a kid, we'd meet my sister/her husband & daughters there for 'Breakfast with Santa' back when the restaurant was in the back of the store. Good times.

Our town is small, and has Kroger, Save a Lot, Kmart, family/general dollar stores ---> they have banned all attempts of Walmart trying to come here :lol: We are getting a new Kroger early next year - biggest in the state is what I was told, and I think apparel will be a big competition between Kroger & Kmart.
I love our Kmart, but I really think they could brighten the store up, and have better selection in girls/women's clothing compared to the one in the city near us <Lexington>. That is my favorite Kmart store, and I'll probably make the 20 minute drive there for opening on Thanksgiving morning so I can do some clothes shopping before we make the drive up to Indiana to spend with my family -- no Kmart near my family :( There is one in Frankfort, KY, but it's just okay compared to the one in Lexington. I save a LOT of $$ doing fall/winter shopping at Kmart, and my kids really like their clothing.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:53 pm

azerigold wrote:I am originally from IN, but moved to KY years ago. My first job was at Marsh on Madison Ave.! Loved working there, I was their youngest manager. It was a fun job, pay was lousy, but I was young and well it was $$ haha..
I'm really sad that they closed the Kmart on Madison Ave. spent a lot of time there when I was a teenager, either with my mom, or sneaking away from school @ lunchtime to eat with my friends at the Little Ceaser's inside Kmart lol I remember years ago when I was a kid, we'd meet my sister/her husband & daughters there for 'Breakfast with Santa' back when the restaurant was in the back of the store. Good times.

Our town is small, and has Kroger, Save a Lot, Kmart, family/general dollar stores ---> they have banned all attempts of Walmart trying to come here :lol: We are getting a new Kroger early next year - biggest in the state is what I was told, and I think apparel will be a big competition between Kroger & Kmart.
I love our Kmart, but I really think they could brighten the store up, and have better selection in girls/women's clothing compared to the one in the city near us <Lexington>. That is my favorite Kmart store, and I'll probably make the 20 minute drive there for opening on Thanksgiving morning so I can do some clothes shopping before we make the drive up to Indiana to spend with my family -- no Kmart near my family :( There is one in Frankfort, KY, but it's just okay compared to the one in Lexington. I save a LOT of $$ doing fall/winter shopping at Kmart, and my kids really like their clothing.

Hmm.. sounds like another Woodmen in the house :) They aren't closing until the 30th of this month. We went there just last weekend and got some okay deals but most was still a normal sale price. I did find some cute Nike Woodmen fan gear for my oldest for a great price.

mabrey
Black Friday Pro

Postby mabrey » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:31 am

My Kmart closed probably over 10 years ago, For the life of me I could never understand why they chose our local store to close when they were scalling back. My Kmart happened to be right at the main crossroads of the most popular area of town & was a very busy store. I do miss it especially for the competition of pricing. Now there really is nothing competing with Wal Mart in my town, if you don't count Costco & Sams Club which I don't belong to.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:06 pm

I don't know what our town would do without Kmart, there just isn't anything else besides a few local businesses, and a couple of the dollar stores. I don't know what will happen when the new Kroger opens, I think it will definitely hurt Kmart :(

I've done most of my holiday shopping at Kmart so far, and some on Amazon.

Monday, Kmart.com made me so upset. Ordered a tv that it said was in stock for pick up in a neighboring county, so I bought it, and figured since they took the $$ out of my bank accnt that all was good. Well, they sent me an email later in the day stating that it was cancelled due to not being in stock. Ok, so where's my $$? I call the 800# and the girl just was not understandable & nothing made sense. She said it was in stock at another store near us, but uh... I didn't have the $$ to pay for the tv a 2nd time in my bank account. I was so upset. She told me to go to the kmart that had the tv in stock, and tell them I need a same day refund on a .com order. Didn't make sense to me, but I did it anyway, and the store associates thought I was crazy! Made me even more upset, because this came from a customer service rep who should have known it wouldn't work :roll:
We ended up buying a tv that night at Walmart with a check. $$ still wasn't in my accnt today when check came through, which made me furious <and had to go deposit Christmas $$ to cover it>. I ranted on their FB page, and they did respond promptly, and looked into it to make sure everything was okay. I 'should' have the $$ before the weekend. I gave them my input/feedback about changing their system - it's very simple - don't charge a customer for something on line until you know you have the item in stock! Or change things up. Because I know they can make it a faster process. Amazon and Hulu both have refunded me in past and it took about 5 minutes.

Anyway, they told me to check my email, and they emailed me a $50 gift card to use on line! Wow, I was not expecting that.
I am very leary about ordering big items/electronics during holidays from them because of this issue, but I still love shopping Kmart. But it will still bother me how this all went down.

Return to “Rants and Raves”