Rant...The War on Thanksgiving

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

Kento87
Black Friday Pro

Re: Rant...The War on Thanksgiving

Postby Kento87 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:14 am

Im having the walk a thin line this year, the 27th is the Start of BF, T-day and Wife's birthday. So have to juggle Shopping, Cooking & Eating and Celebrating her Birthday all within the same time frame. If I ever needed 3 of me that day would be it. So Take her to shopping and then go out to eat while we are shopping maybe?

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:55 pm

Read where Costco and Sam's will be closed for the 27th. It's a good thing for employees and their families. They work hard enough during the 27 days between the holidays.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:34 am

Add Gamestop to the no turkey and worky on the same day list. Kinda like the regression from the mean. If retailers won't pull back the BF creep will ooze out of control.

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:16 am

It seems there are going to be the stores that open on Thanksgiving (mostly department stores like Macys or electronic giants like Best Buy and Wally World of course) while others will keep the tradition alive like Gamestop and Costco.

I agree with the original poster that retail would love to be open 365 days a year and pretty much make Thanksgiving what Labor Day, Memorial Day and 4th of July are today - being open the entire day and maximizing profit since there are a majority of people who are off that day.

It's funny...the internet is really to blame with all of this (no offense to this site! lol) :D

It used to be waiting until Thanksgiving evening to pull out your ads and plan your attack for the next day where stores opened maybe an hour or 2 earlier. However, with leaks, online sales hurting brick and mortar stores, and so many options, (not including the recession), retailers are fighting back for their survival and really one could say they want to be a brick and mortar online store...where they will be available for your shopping needs at most or anytime without having to wait for overnight or 2-day shipping from Amazon Prime.

What do I say about it all? I love Thanksgiving as a day of rest and reflection to be able to do whatever you want and if possible spend with family since most are off. If you want to shop, go for it and if you don't want to work...find another job. :lol: However, the important thing is to be happy...so maybe I'll see some of you on my travels...whether Thanksgiving Day or Black Friday or during the Holiday/Christmas Season...just remember to be yourself (and hopefully that means being happy!)

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:39 pm

The t day paper use to be the go to item when planning the early morning adventures. I think it will take individual state laws (like the one in Massachusetts) or an act of Congress to limit in store sales to Fridays with an anything goes approach to t day.

amiemarie7
Black Friday Pro

Postby amiemarie7 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:35 pm

sigh, I am upset....not because the store is open but the loss of the black Friday tradition. I had envisioned my daughters and I standing in the cold at 2am seeing our breath as we spoke, chatting about sales, holidays, school, and life. making pit stops for some coffee or hot chocolate at a dunkin donuts drive thrus. taking turns standing in the check out line while each ran to look at one last thing. one of them holding the circulars in the back seat directing me to which store we should go to next. then at 7 or 8, after we were done with the night shopping, stopping somewhere for a quick breakfast and enjoying a feeling of accomplishment and bonding in the nights events. driving home and hopping on the couch for a little nap in front of the fire with some Christmas movies on. then in the afternoon head out leisurely to browse for any missed deals. it was something I did by myself many years and was so looking forward to going along with my daughters.

stores being open on thanksgiving our taking that away from me. no longer will it just be me and the other die-hard late-nighters. no more are those cold 2 am lines waiting for the door to finally open in the dark. just seeing how the change of TRU hours affected the night and the type of crowd it drew. it just isn't the same. so im sad that just as my oldest daughter may be nearing the age where she can finally handle the all night, the tradition is changing. as for kmart being open, that was part of my tradition too. as a little girl, we would go to kmart on thanksgiving, and I repeat that tradition to this day. it was special that kmart was the only store open. it just feels like the whole thing is changing when I was at the point of experiencing it with my own children

blueredzone
Black Friday Pro

Postby blueredzone » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:51 am

amiemarie7 wrote:sigh, I am upset....not because the store is open but the loss of the black Friday tradition. I had envisioned my daughters and I standing in the cold at 2am seeing our breath as we spoke, chatting about sales, holidays, school, and life. making pit stops for some coffee or hot chocolate at a dunkin donuts drive thrus. taking turns standing in the check out line while each ran to look at one last thing. one of them holding the circulars in the back seat directing me to which store we should go to next. then at 7 or 8, after we were done with the night shopping, stopping somewhere for a quick breakfast and enjoying a feeling of accomplishment and bonding in the nights events. driving home and hopping on the couch for a little nap in front of the fire with some Christmas movies on. then in the afternoon head out leisurely to browse for any missed deals. it was something I did by myself many years and was so looking forward to going along with my daughters.

stores being open on thanksgiving our taking that away from me. no longer will it just be me and the other die-hard late-nighters. no more are those cold 2 am lines waiting for the door to finally open in the dark. just seeing how the change of TRU hours affected the night and the type of crowd it drew. it just isn't the same. so im sad that just as my oldest daughter may be nearing the age where she can finally handle the all night, the tradition is changing. as for kmart being open, that was part of my tradition too. as a little girl, we would go to kmart on thanksgiving, and I repeat that tradition to this day. it was special that kmart was the only store open. it just feels like the whole thing is changing when I was at the point of experiencing it with my own children

Unfortunately thats the way it has gone. I personally like the Thursday openings. This gives me the wee hours of the morning a chance to get out there and shop. I usually head out about 10 or 10:30 sometime after the Thursday night football game. Depending if its a game or not..... I do damage all night long and am inline for the friday morning stores to open. Yes I am awake for 24+ hrs straight. But that long nap feels pretty good. Specially when you got everything on your list.

spideysensetingling
Black Friday Pro

Postby spideysensetingling » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:20 pm

But what will you do about eating if you are out all day for 24 hours?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:44 pm

spideysensetingling wrote:But what will you do about eating if you are out all day for 24 hours?

Most food places are open on Thanksgiving now. :)
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:52 pm

spideysensetingling wrote:But what will you do about eating if you are out all day for 24 hours?

Just fast...and then break the fast on Black Friday at IHOP :)

That's why leave room for dinner. Traditional Thanksgiving dinners will be really non-existant for those who have be out to catch lines...other days will be possible, but if I went out I would have to avoid the meal.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:15 am

Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

amiemarie7
Black Friday Pro

Postby amiemarie7 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:38 am

lmao

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:33 am

All people do on t day is watch football, gain weight and drink too much alcohol. Get some exercise outside, lighten your wallet, complete C day shopping in one fell swoop and watch others pay inflated prices the other 364.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:35 am

lwmjr wrote:Image

Where are my magnesium heaters? Save the boxed entrees so they can double as pot holders and don't go past the overfill line. Experienced diner here.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:18 am

village inn's are open on thanksgiving!!

i bet chinese restaurants probably are too.

oh and if the malls are open, their food courts usually are too

Return to “Rants and Raves”