Rant...The War on Thanksgiving

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Re: Rant...The War on Thanksgiving

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:21 pm

dodsworth wrote:Does what's open and closed vary by state. I know the walmart near me in northern NY state was open all day on Thanksgiving but didn't start selling all the blackfriday add stuff until (think it was 8 that year) . I'm not sure if it's that big of a deal if the store is going to be open all day anyways. I would hope that anyone who works during family time is doing it voluntarily and not forced to work.

If you are in a state with a blue law (there are only a couple) then they have to abide by those laws. Otherwise, it's the same time across the board for the stores. So if Walmart says it's noon, then it'll be noon in every state that doesn't have the blue law. Again, I want to say it's only like 3 states?
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

stacykay4
Black Friday Pro

Postby stacykay4 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:39 pm

We'll just have to wait and see.

Walmart has been successful in having many BF start times! If you gave multiple items to get, it helps, plus it helps with customer control. If they and Target were to open at Noon, I wonder if a Target will adopt the tiered openings as well.

strampes
Black Friday Newbie

Postby strampes » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:56 am

I might have an unpopular opinion, but I don't mind the merging very much. Black Friday has always been sort of melded into my family's Thanksgiving traditions. Most of the hottest deals for things that I purchase don't happen on BF in B&M stores anyways.
~we see things as we are~

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:19 am

I'm not disappointed over the earlier times, like it's been said in this thread no one is forcing you to shop or even work retail. I got more irked last year when my extended family, some from out of state would rather spend time on their iphones/tablets/laptops "scoring" deals online than spending time with us then at 4pm they would leave for 6pm store openings and return around 8-9 to eat (after the rest of us). They were naturally only here for a free meal, but that's the only pet-peeve I have but that's my extended family, so I'm sure yours isn't the same.

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:39 am

I think the important thing here is the "actual" BF sales at these stores that have been open on Thanksgiving (Kmart etc,) did not start until BF. Yes, they had "Thanksgiving" sales but they were not their BF sales. And I agree, BF is not Thursday, it is Friday and like many other things in this world, some sh!t needs to stop.

Lastly, if you want (or need the sales price to to buy that item) you are pretty much dominated by the start of their sale. Doesn't mean it is right.

I actually ended up really liking the 8pm start last year. The early morning start always sucked. The midnight start sucked. But I did like the 8pm start. I thought it was perfect. Not sure how this year is going to go with a noon - 6pm starts.
It just isn't Black Friday when it is Thursday.......

spideysensetingling
Black Friday Pro

Postby spideysensetingling » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi Everyone,

Everyone's replies have been great. It is good seeing each take on this. Here is another point to ponder. If Shopping happened all day on Thanksgiving and that became the new norm how would you feel about stores opening up on Christmas Day?? 3 years ago Toys R US was actually open on Christmas Day for 1 hour in my area but they never did it again. They were open on Christmas Eve and Closed at 1 am Christmas Morning. The reason I am passionate about what the retailers are doing is that I feel they won't stop after Thanksgiving and will go after Christmas next maybe with a tag line...."Hey, If you don't like what you got this morning come into the store and exchange it and get a $10 credit."

Your Thoughts?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:37 pm

I would never go shopping on Christmas Day, for the simple fact that I have 2 young children that we spend Christmas opening presents and playing all day. We don't really celebrate Thanksgiving so we're not giving up anything there.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

dodsworth
Black Friday Newbie

Postby dodsworth » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:57 pm

I've worked retail for over 20 years and unless your govement passes a law against opening on statutory holidays they will continue to open earlier if they feel it gives them an advantage. Here I have seen 2 holidays go by the wayside as well as shopping on Sundays (stores in Ontario where allowed to open because of people going over to the USA to shop and Canadian retailers complained of a unfair advantage)

stacykay4
Black Friday Pro

Postby stacykay4 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:18 pm

I would never shop on Christmas. Christmas shopping would be done and I wouldn't need anything. I love to go out the day after for the sales though.

raymacfla
Black Friday Pro

Postby raymacfla » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:33 am

spideysensetingling wrote:Hi Everyone,

Everyone's replies have been great. It is good seeing each take on this. Here is another point to ponder. If Shopping happened all day on Thanksgiving and that became the new norm how would you feel about stores opening up on Christmas Day?? 3 years ago Toys R US was actually open on Christmas Day for 1 hour in my area but they never did it again. They were open on Christmas Eve and Closed at 1 am Christmas Morning. The reason I am passionate about what the retailers are doing is that I feel they won't stop after Thanksgiving and will go after Christmas next maybe with a tag line...."Hey, If you don't like what you got this morning come into the store and exchange it and get a $10 credit."

Your Thoughts?

In the 1960's, my father would shop at the midnight madness sale for toys on Christmas eve. This was in the Chicago area. It was also a time for Christmas clubs and single income families. Different dynamics will drive that retailers do. Like some have noticed, KMart has opened on Thanksgiving for years, yet few cared and others thought it a non-intrusive and clever ploy to help out a sagging-sales merchant. When other stores followed suit, it became unbearable. When this happened, new shoppers quickly jumped in and took the place of traditional shoppers and made a new tradition of it overnight.

Last year, like the year before it, I heard shoppers complain about us, since we camp the deals, even to the point of profanity and complaints to store management. Since we bring the media and make the store money in the process, it falls on deaf ears. The point on this matter is that traditional shoppers blame us for the change as well as the unfairness of the advantage that we get, like limited quantities doesn't already create that scenario.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:53 am

I have no problem with stores being open on Christmas Day if they choose to be. After all, some restaurants, movie theaters, and bowling alleys already open (and are busy!) on Christmas Day. Why not stores?

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:52 pm

I worked at a local retail shop through college and we were open every single day of the year (9 am - 9 pm) EXCEPT Christmas.
I just don't think a retail store would find it beneficial to be open on Christmas.

I have done the movie theater on christmas a few times and it's a bit surprising how many families actually go out for that. Not a lot to crowd the theaters but more than I expected.

The earlier shopping times don't irritate me except for the fact that I am traveling on Thanksgiving to my black friday shopping destination and I told my friend we didn't need to leave until early afternoon so it kinda screws up my plans.

buynstuff4fun
Black Friday Pro

Postby buynstuff4fun » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:56 pm

Hey everyone,

I agree with the original post. Last year was the first year where I really didn't do the BF brick and morter thing. I went to a few local stores that opened at 5am on Friday but otherwise shopped online. I miss the Black Friday of yesteryear, but I know its never coming back (tear...)

It seemed like last year most of the deals were online on Wednesday which worked great. But I refuse to be away from my family on Thanksgiving Day. I love a deal as much as the next BF shopper, but saving $100 isn't worth spending precious time with my husband and kids. Just sayin.

spideysensetingling
Black Friday Pro

Postby spideysensetingling » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:43 pm

By the way I kinda find it funny how BFads put up the Black Friday times that Retailers are opening up and all but 3 of the retailers listed are opening up on Thursday not Friday LOL. We might as well change it to Black Weekend and Take Thanksgiving off the Holiday list because the retailers certainly don't care about it.

headbanger783
Black Friday Pro

Postby headbanger783 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:52 pm

Yes is does vary state to state..depending on laws. Take Massachusetts for example. they have old laws on the books (blue laws) that state retail can not be open on certain US holidays. Therefore Black Friday in MA starts at 12:01am Friday. If stores open earlier they risk huge fines (thinks 6 figures plus). Veteran's day is another in MA where almost everything is closed. Here's an AP article from last year about it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/2 ... 46023.html

Return to “Rants and Raves”