Rant...The War on Thanksgiving

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

spideysensetingling
Black Friday Pro

Rant...The War on Thanksgiving

Postby spideysensetingling » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:13 pm

Today I found out that Macy's will be opening up at 6 pm on Thanksgiving and there are rumors that Target and Walmart will be opening up at 12 noon. I understand that Black Friday is crucial for the survival of retail stores but why is Thanksgiving being skinned alive to where it will become a day like Memorial Day and Independence day where the true meaning of the day will be missed. Thanksgiving is suppose to be a day where people can spend time with family and friends or just be able to relax with a day off. This is also a day where people can rest up and be ready for their Black Friday shopping. What has this holiday done to deserve this type of treatment. It is not a religious based holiday and is not offensive to most people except maybe vegetarians. In fact because of Thanksgiving you get 2 days off for the holiday and not 1 like Christmas or New Years. I was ok with most stores opening up at Thanksgiving Night after 8 pm but now they are going into the sacred time of 12pm - 6 pm where people are eating dinner, dessert, and enjoying each other's company. Now there is no reason for families to be together because they won't have time so they can get the next new tv. I feel that Retail will not stop till they have conquered all 365 days of the year and when they conquer Christmas it will be over. Just remember what Jack Frost did to Christmas in the movie..."Santa Clause 3" Christmas was not a family day but a day to buy toys with pushing and shoving. I end with this quote from the Original Miracle on 34th Street....."Make a Buck, Make a Buck" That is what the Retail stores are only interested in. Also on a side note to back up my Rant I have attached the Huffington Post article where they state there is a War on Thanksgiving http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/1 ... 84236.html

stacykay4
Black Friday Pro

Re: Rant...The War on Thanksgiving

Postby stacykay4 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:57 pm

The thing is, no one is forcing anyone to go shopping. Yes, I think it should go back to early Fri, but like the discussion last year with opening on a Thanksgiving night, as long as the people shop, they will open. People will make their choice. Don't shop on Thursday and wait until Friday, or shop online. If you choose to choose a tv over family, that's your choice. While I understand your rant, it's a useless rant.

I have never gotten 2 days off for Thanksgiving (unless I asked off for it, it was never given).

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:27 am

Several things,
1. If you just found out that they're opening at 6pm on Thanksgiving, you should come to the forums more. That's been posted a few weeks now. We could use some more frequent visitors.

2. There are other stores that have been open all day for Thanksgiving, for years. KMart, Big Lots, etc. Nobody ever complained about those places being open.

3. There are plenty of places that are open EVERY day of the year, including Christmas. Police, fire, rescue, 911 dispatch centers, animal control, public utilities, gas stations, hospitals, drug stores, jails, restaurants, tv/ radio stations, airports, etc. Sure, while most of those places have to be open, someone still has to work them, and those people still miss time with their families. Nobody ever felt sorry for them having to work.

4. Shopping on Black Friday is not mandatory and is completely optional. If you don't want to shop, don't. Nobody is making you miss time with your family.

5. When you go to work in retail, you know you're going to work Black Friday, and the hours are going to be odd. That's something retail workers know (or should know) before they even get the job.

6. You shouldn't need 1 day a year to appreciate your family and spend time with them. If you can't do that every other day of the year, well then...

Just my thoughts.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:40 am

Addressing the original post:
That seems to be an improperly narrow definition of what Thanksgiving is supposed to be. Who gets to dictate to the rest of the world what the "true meaning" of the holiday is supposed to look like and what form it should take?

raymacfla
Black Friday Pro

Postby raymacfla » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:26 pm

There is no war on Thanksgiving. It is the retail war that rages during the week of thanksgiving. People who have a right to shop during that time do not need to be chided by those who choose to remain with their families instead. Furthermore, who on earth can't think outside the box and choose any day other than Thursday to celebrate with their loved ones? We made the shift years before all of this hoopla started and hold thanksgiving on Saturday. It works out better for many relatives who must make the longest journey anyway.

spideysensetingling
Black Friday Pro

Postby spideysensetingling » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:19 pm

I appreciate everyone's input on this Topic. My responses:

To Stacykay4... You see retail is dictating when people can go shopping. Before we were all accustomed for years that shopping started on Black Friday now they say it needs to be on thanksgiving? why is that? To me it's just a joke.

To Teknoge3K... As you saw from my account i have been on here since 2010 and I ranted about Kmart opening up on Thanksgiving. As you saw in my post I was showing that even the media like the Huffington Post is making a Statement that it's a war on Thanksgiving. It is not my words but theirs. People have complained about those stores being open but just like people complained about gas prices going up, what happens the complaining stops and people are forced to adjust with no real change ever happening. It is a disgrace. I agree that you don't need 1 day a year to appreciate family but when is mostly everybody off to spend quality time together. With all the retail stores being open and having these crazy hours who had time for family.

To Shopper X.... So what does Thanksgiving mean to you??? If we didn't have a purpose for Holidays we wouldn't have any and be working 365 days a year.

To Raymacfla.....If you and your family want to do it on Saturday that is fine and I hope it works out but just rememeber you will only have 1 day to recover instead of 3.

stacykay4
Black Friday Pro

Postby stacykay4 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:00 pm

But people can shop whenever they want. On many big ticket items, you can find those sales throughout the year if you look in the right place.

I think they can only push it so much in regards to the earlier times. Plus, in lots of cases, the stores are already open on TDay anyways, just not all the employees are staffed at that time. It sucks they get their "holiday" cut short or off, yet, there are many professions that work the holiday or every holiday. I've been there, done that. Heck, people are working on the parades and football. What's the difference of a store being open, or going to a football game?

And I think many retailers don't picture TDay as a holiday, it is more of a moneymaker.

But I don't think they can push the sales any earlier than Thursday, and hopefully one day they'll retreat back to truly Black Friday.

Like I said, the shoppers can complain, yet, no one is forcing you to shop.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:18 pm

To me, Thanksgiving is a day for thankfulness-- the name is literally "giving thanks". Other than that, I don't think that it requires anyone to celebrate it in any specific way or format. Some people might choose to spend Thanksgiving with their families. However, others might choose to shop. And, others might choose to work.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:44 pm

Realistically, Thanksgiving is whatever you want it to be, While, I am partial to the traditions of parades, turkey and football, I do like a good deal.

anyways,
Some of you may remember the dark ages, when you got the paper on Thanksgiving with all the BF ads in it. And some of you may be scratching their heads wondering what a newspaper is :lol:
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

cddd
Black Friday Pro

Postby cddd » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:16 am

I'm upset about it too! No...no one is FORCING me to leave my family and go shopping or to stay and have dinner with them. What I'm upset about is that Black Friday shopping has been a tradition for my girls and I for years. If all the stores open during the day on Thanksgiving we will not be able to continue that tradition. I will not give up having dinner with my aging mother, my siblings, nieces, nephews, etc...

I do understand that there are people who have chosen careers (nurses, dr's, firemen, etc..) that require them to work on Thanksgiving and they have to "give up" having dinner with their family. I'm not being disrespectful of them at all. I appreciate all they do and I'm very thankful for them.

My family would never agree to have dinner on another day, so my daughters and I will give up part of our special tradition to keep the other. Sure, we will still go shopping later that night but it won't be the same. I will miss sitting around after dinner going over our plans together, waiting in line outside the stores in the cold with our coffees talking and laughing about how crazy we are for being there, the excitement and rush we got when the doors were opened....It's been something we have done for years and looked forward to all year and now, if the stores open at noon, we won't have that anymore.

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:43 am

I agree with cddd.

I absolutely agree choosing family before deals is a definite here too! I was not happy about 6 pm on Thanksgiving but it was much more feasible than noon! Noon on Thanksgiving is crazy and that folks will ruin this Black Friday shopper. *Note- I never did KMart Thanksgiving for this exact reason I am busy preparing my family meal.* It will be online or later in the evening which results in it just not being the same for me. The luster and thrill of the hunt will be quite diminished for this gal.

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:32 am

I think this year, 2014, is going to be the bottom of the barrel. Stores have been pushing up opening times for years (I still remember being first 100 in line at Best Buy at 3:00am waiting for the 6:00am opening... and then leaving and getting to Toys R Us for opening at 7:00am). Combine that with Thanksgiving being extremely late this year - which shortens the traditional holiday shopping days - and you'll have stores doing whatever they can to squeeze an extra day or two out of the shopping season.

I'll probably skip any substantial brick & mortar black Friday shopping this year for the first time in probably 15 years. I was kind of "over it" last year with the earlier openings already, and now my family/Thanksgiving dynamics have changed which would also interfere.

BeachGirlShops
Black Friday Pro

Postby BeachGirlShops » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:09 pm

I agree with what most others have commented on here. I don't particularly like the earlier start times but I do like the hunt for good deals. Honestly, I am a creature of habit and can be stubborn when it comes to change, especially with holiday traditions. Things change, you either go with it or you don't. The bottom line is it is all about choices. I totally agree with what Stacykay4 said - I don't think most big retailers view Thanksgiving as a holiday but a money making shopping event.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:32 pm

i'm still placing my bets that the stores will not open at noon.

The only other time they made a huge jump in time openings was when most of them opened at 5 am and they jumped to midnight. I believe Target went from midnight to 10 and then I believe 8 last year? Walmart has been jumping up a couple hours each year too. Walmart was 6 pm last night, for them and/or Target to make the jump to noon is a big step, unless they think it's pointless to even try opening the store during the afternoon.

And since TRU didn't jump up that early I'm hoping we're safe. TRU usually jumps ahead of most of them.

dodsworth
Black Friday Newbie

Postby dodsworth » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Does what's open and closed vary by state. I know the walmart near me in northern NY state was open all day on Thanksgiving but didn't start selling all the blackfriday add stuff until (think it was 8 that year) . I'm not sure if it's that big of a deal if the store is going to be open all day anyways. I would hope that anyone who works during family time is doing it voluntarily and not forced to work.

Return to “Rants and Raves”