[RANT] Office Max

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

cbrookhart
Black Friday Newbie

[RANT] Office Max

Postby cbrookhart » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:08 am

I purchased a router from Office Max online on Wednesday evening when the Office Max sales went live. According to the Office Max website, orders placed after 5pm are processed the next business day. The next business day was a holiday, so the order would have processed on Friday. From Wednesday to Saturday, every time I checked the order status on officemax.com, the status showed processing. I had sent an e-mail to Office Max requesting to check the order status and was informed that the order would ship in 1-3 days. When I called Office Max on Saturday, I found out the warehouse wasn't going to be open until Monday. I decided that since Staples was still selling the router on Saturday for the Black Friday price, and since there are several Staples locations near me, I would cancel the Office Max order and go to Staples.

I get an e-mail from Office Max today informing me that my order has already shipped. :evil: How can the order have shipped if the warehouse wasn't open? Even right now when I check the order status online, the status still shows processing. If it shipped, it would seem that the status would change.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Re: [RANT] Office Max

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:36 pm

That's why it's always good to go out and have the item(s) in-hand on Black Friday rather than depending on an online order.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

cbrookhart
Black Friday Newbie

Postby cbrookhart » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:53 pm

I suppose I should have just waited to go out to an Office Max or Staples (or even Radio Shack) later in the day on Friday to get the item I wanted. It probably wasn't that critical to place the order online.

I found out that the process for cancelling is that customer service puts in a request to cancel (I'm assuming something to the effect of an e-mail) and the request goes to the warehouse. Apparently, how far along in the processing stage the order is, depends on how easy (or in my case, how difficult it is) to cancel.

I guess I learned what to do for next year.

digby723
Black Friday Pro

Postby digby723 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:22 pm

cbrookhart wrote:I suppose I should have just waited to go out to an Office Max or Staples (or even Radio Shack) later in the day on Friday to get the item I wanted. It probably wasn't that critical to place the order online.

I found out that the process for cancelling is that customer service puts in a request to cancel (I'm assuming something to the effect of an e-mail) and the request goes to the warehouse. Apparently, how far along in the processing stage the order is, depends on how easy (or in my case, how difficult it is) to cancel.

I guess I learned what to do for next year.

I remember trying to cancel a package once from some company (can't remember who) and was told the same thing, I think it's pretty standard. I can't even remember why I was trying to cancel, but I basically just place orders and get the item when I get it. I never check tracking dates/shipment expediencies unless I feel like it's been a long time and it hasn't shown up. I've only had a package "lost" once, and it turned out it was mis-delivered to a vacant house down the street, and I found it when the company realized & e-mailed me to tell me they'd sent it to the wrong address to begin with and all was well. If I needed it badly enough to check shipment expectancy as soon as I placed the order/the day after, I wouldn't be buying online, but that's JMO!

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:43 pm

Minor hassle, but just return the Office Max router when/if it shows up. If you don't have an OfficeMax nearby, just return the Staples one.

HighwayForFriday
Black Friday Pro

Postby HighwayForFriday » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:05 pm

You shouldn't expect order status updates to be up to date........from ANY SITE.

Even Amazon doesn't update their shipping status. I ordered a package that came on Sunday but the status of the package wasn't updated until the next day.
HighwayForFriday??? On Black Friday you gotta make a run to the nearest highway for your favorite deals duh!

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:57 pm

HighwayForFriday wrote:You shouldn't expect order status updates to be up to date........from ANY SITE.

Even Amazon doesn't update their shipping status. I ordered a package that came on Sunday but the status of the package wasn't updated until the next day.

That sounds like feedback from a shipper who got their 4-1-1 from the shipping company.

I know for a fact USPS has real time updates on it's barcoded items. The GPS on the phone paired with the scanner can tell a customer where the parcel is on a route every two minutes.
Last edited by Vols44 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:57 am

I think they mean from the shipper, not the courier. The courier is up to date. I believe FedEx is every minute updates, UPS is in realtime. When the UPS guy is in my driveway, almost the instant he scans the item(s), I get the email on my phone that my package(s) have been delivered.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

digby723
Black Friday Pro

Postby digby723 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:12 am

HighwayForFriday wrote:You shouldn't expect order status updates to be up to date........from ANY SITE.

Amazon is normally really good IMO, but I ordered from jane.com for the first time every last week, got a shipment notification on Monday and low and behold it was in my mailbox yesterday evening. Some sites just aren't as good as updating, hence why I never really go by it anymore. I know jane is basically a "host" for people to sell their items through (kinda like an ebay, sans bidding), so the individual seller is the one at fault here, but again, doesn't bother me, I'll get it when I get it!

Return to “Rants and Raves”