What are your predictions on where Black Friday is going?

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

What are your predictions on where Black Friday is going?

Postby BFVet » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:22 pm

I think we're going to move to a point where pretty much every store is opening on Thanksgiving - and possibly being open normal hours. We got pretty close to that this year. But the change I think we'll see is that stores are going to be closing and then re-opening at some point Friday morning. I think we're going to see a dead "no shopping" period between around 1:00am and 5:00am. The stores have already been dead during those hours for the past 2 years, and I just see them making the decision to close and save on staff time, while also having the opportunity to restock.

What that is going to lead to is, essentially, two different black Friday sales. Stores are going to get closer and closer to the Kmart model of having a Thanksgiving Sale and a Black Friday Sale. The big question for me is how the best deals are going to be distributed? Will they be evenly distributed between the two days? Or, will we get back to a more traditional Black Friday where Thursday will have one or two hot items, but the largest quantity of really blockbuster deals will be at the 5:00am openings on Black Friday? I hope that's where we go.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Re: What are your predictions on where Black Friday is going

Postby lwmjr » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:07 pm

From a business standpoint, the best deals should be spread over a couple days, The more customers you bring in the more you sale, I may be wrong, but I think the strategy of most people is to hit as many stores, in a short period of time. To get the items on their list and not browse while they are there.
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Given the fact that more and more deals are being offered online, I think we'll see that continuing. This year Kohl's opened their Black Friday sale online really early and I see this progressing. I mean, it's Saturday night and we're seeing Cyber Monday deals show up. I think this helps on the amount of people in the actual stores while the businesses are still getting tons of sales.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Sadly, I think 'Black Friday' will be a thing of the past :( It looked as though the hours this year brought out huge crowds. The stores I go to are usually busy, but this year whew! Walmart especially, I'd never seen so many people there before, it was absolutely crazy. Not in a bad way, but I can imagine it probably got worse after we left.

I agree that the stores need a better strategy. They did okay spreading out the sales a little, but it wasn't enough to get me back in the stores yesterday. IMO they need to try a LOT harder.

I do think this was also a push to get people to shop more on line this year...

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:00 pm

Kmart started their sale at 6am, but didn't have exciting deals. I think Thursday online sale will drive the train and when a person can't order it from their PC they'll hit the store in the evening to close the deal(s). I expect 5-7pm to be the norm for the big boxers if this year's numbers look good.

midmofan
Black Friday Pro

Postby midmofan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:57 am

blueredzone
Black Friday Pro

Postby blueredzone » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:42 am

I for one kind of like the late thanksgiving day start times. This means I can hit the stores during there "dead" times. I did most of my shopping between midnight and 6am. Got everything on my list. Stock levels were good on the items i wanted, and since there was a lull in people shopping, I got in and got out quickly.

digby723
Black Friday Pro

Postby digby723 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:52 pm

I think more stores will open even earlier next year. I anticipate Best Buy pushing their opening to 4 pm vs 6 pm, and the 8 pm retailers going to 5 or 6 pm. I think more malls will open Thanksgiving day also (although my sister's store was so slow they sent her home 4 hours early on Black Friday).

I think stores will go earlier and earlier until the demand just isn't there because they're doing more online shopping instead. This is the trend though. It started back in 2010-ish when stores started "midnight madness" openings. Every major mall/outlet mall in my area opens at midnight, if not early for BF, and I've got about 5 of them w/in 25 miles.

bfshoppermom
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfshoppermom » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:34 pm

I think they will continue to push up start times/days with online sales. I would wager that quite a few "traditional" shoppers turned to online this year. I would rather deal with online myself for the "chance" at a grab and go item versus trying to fight for it at a pallet. This year I didn't go to any major retailer for store opening...I went to a smaller business that had a giveaway at the store and you were guaranteed at least a $5 voucher (which is all I got.)

I can't see too many retailers really trying to open Thanksgiving morning - I expect 6pm start time will be pretty much the norm and the staggered saletimes to try to get people to return to same store 3 or more time from Thurs into Friday may become more popular.

midmofan
Black Friday Pro

Postby midmofan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:14 pm

If the rest of the world was like our town, I would expect Menards and Lowes and Bass Pro to keep the Friday morning openings. They were huge successes and much better than last year. No doubt they got both the folks that did the Thursday evening openings (then went home and rested up) as well as those that could not/would not shop on Thanksgiving.

All three were packed deep into Friday. I am certain the managers here would want it to stay the same.

Dillards here also benefited from its Friday opening, but I could see a store like that following the pack if the mall itself opened Thursday.

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:11 am

More stores are staying closed on Thursday this year than last year. I think this trend will continue until it steadies out. Some stores will always open at 6pm, others 9-10pm, and the rest on Friday at 6-8am.

I think the midnight opening is largely going away.

Kento87
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kento87 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:12 pm

What I think would be awesome is a Wed Evening/Night sale with t-day being closed and then a Traditional BF 5AM start on Friday. I think closing on Tday would give a retailer a lot of street cred!

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:04 pm

I think we are going to continue to head in the direction of online sales. It makes sense. It keeps stores from being packed. They can ship from a warehouse and avoid extra transportation costs. It just makes sense and you do not have to worry about people complaining about start times. You just start them at 5 am EST on Friday morning and you're good.

Return to “Rants and Raves”