Stores were Dee-E-Dee Dead! during traditional BF hours

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

wwefk
Black Friday Pro

Re: Stores were Dee-E-Dee Dead! during traditional BF hours

Postby wwefk » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:43 pm

when I was in retail, we referred to this as the "lull" we actually planned for it as a time to get things back in order and restock before the "second wave" at about 7am. I remembered the first year this happen it was like "I guess black friday isn't a thing anymore" then at about 9am it was line around the store again.
Decorating the tree
(Gardening)
Wiring all of the lights
(Electrical contracting)
Wrapping up packages and writing out cards
(Office work, out of sight!)

lilmac0168
Black Friday Amateur

Postby lilmac0168 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:24 am

My DH had thrown me a curve ball this year and I was going to have to go to Best Buy - which I have always avoided as even 3 hours into the sale it's a zoo but he wanted me to grab two Kindle Fires which were on the front page. I got there at 5:05 found a parking spot in front walked in grabbed the Kindles, walked the entire store grabbed movies, flash drive. The line to pay was 6 people in front of me so maybe 5 mins. and back in my car paid at 5:25. Headed to Walmart across the street and was thinking why didn't I walk I'll never get a parking spot - found one in less than 5 mins of driving the lot. I stopped going to this Walmart 3 years ago because the store always hit capacity and as the sale would start I'd have to wait to get in about an hour or so. This year found the pallets I wanted stayed in front of one till 6, grabbed what I wanted headed to the next 3 pallets, wandered the store checking other stuff out because I didn't think I would get in so hadn't really paid much attention to the ad paid and was back in my car with a semi full cart in 45 mins. Headed to Target got what I needed except one thing ordered it online while I was paying and that line which usually snaked through the twelve rows before the check out was two rows and I was checked out in 10 mins. When I called my husband at 10ish I was done what I thought would take me till at least 1 or 2 am and was trying to figure out what to do as the next store I needed to go to didn't open till 5 am. Went back to Walmart bought a couple dvd's and parked at Home Deopt and watched them in my car. I have to let you know I live in a small town so I had driven to Bellingham, WA which is about an hours drive (but two international border crossings away) so going home wasn't an option. I had told my husband I should be home around noon - stopped for breakfast and was home by 8. The stores were empty....

headbanger783
Black Friday Pro

Postby headbanger783 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:38 am

teknoge3k wrote:I don't know if it was in stores, or online, or both. I would imagine both. I know all stores around here were PACKED. But based on the areas that people have posted here, I'd imagine people shopped online there. I'd guess both..

Yeas the article states it was both. Online sales are up. But actual shopping on BLACK FRIDAY (Friday not Thanksgiving) were down 13.2% from 2012. It also says that analysts are expecting "lackluster" holiday sales this year, despite dropping gas prices etc.

midmofan
Black Friday Pro

Postby midmofan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:15 pm

While the lines in front of the stores have gotten much smaller since sales have spread out over the week and the rise of on-line, it appears that many of the stores in central Missouri did very well on BF and Thanksgiving. I did not go out until Friday but many friends and relatives did hit the Thanksgiving openings.

Target was clobbered. Friday it looked like a bomb had gone off and shelves were empty of many items.

Didn't ever go to into Walmart, but relatives that got there in early AM said was steady-busy but that they still had plenty of of the sale items left.

JC Penny on Friday afternoon had higher priced doorbusters left but the smaller items had all sold out.

The stores that waited until Friday to open up appeared to do very well. According to management, this was the best BF that our Menards has ever had, up $25,000 from last year. I did not get there until 9am and, while it was busy, by then there were no long lines at checkout and all but one of the items I was getting (and I had a big list) were still there. Even the popular cheap tools and electronics were still available, although you could see they would not be lasting until noon as they were getting down to the last several of each item on the pallets. Friends that got there right at 6 said that the mad scramble at Menards was for wrapping paper and pet toys. Those apparently sold out very quickly.

Lowes on Friday was cleaned out of a lot of items by the time I got there to look at the live trees. I had bought an very nice artificial tree on Wed at the BF price (it was already that price on-line so, although it was not marked on sale yet, they gave it to me at the discount). On wed they had a huge supply of the fake trees in boxes stacked next to the display. Walking by the artificial tree section on Friday afternoon, almost all of the boxes were gone and they obviously sold most of the display models as well. It must have been a tree buying frenzy. I was told that there was a line of about 50 people when the doors opened up.

Best Buy had a line of about 30 people camped out before their opening. This is down from when they used to open early on Friday, but the employees all said sales were very good with people buying more than doorbusters.

Several store employees that I talked with all had the same impression: The crowds at the door-openings were smaller than in previous years but it was more steady throughout the day and people were spending more, not just grabbing the one doorbuster and leaving. Also they all said the crowds were more orderly and the stores had more things organized.

As much as I hate to suggest it, it could be that the stores' strategy is working at least in our town. By having the door-openings spread out more, people are not just grabbing one or two door busters then rushing to the next location. Instead they are shopping for other items as well so fewer people are spending more.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:50 pm

The weather was super shitty in certain areas too so I wonder if that had a small factor on in-store sales.
I feel like our crowds were down but it was rainy.... and COLD and on the verge of freezing rain.

midmofan
Black Friday Pro

Postby midmofan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:26 pm

Yeah, the weather was bad here as well. Rainy off and on Thanksgiving and pouring down Fri morning. I'm sure it hurt some.

ced1106
Black Friday Pro

Postby ced1106 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:48 pm

Big thanks to teknoge3k who helped me find dog toys to my new oversized puppy! :D

Thanksgiving evening had the crowds at Walmart and Target. Friday morning itself had no lines in Mountain View, and stores besides Walmart and Target were open regular hours.

CNN Cyber Monday article: http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/30/news/co ... index.html

Return to “Rants and Raves”