Stores were Dee-E-Dee Dead! during traditional BF hours

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Re: Stores were Dee-E-Dee Dead! during traditional BF hours

Postby Vols44 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:01 pm

I'll have to check what Academy Sports' opening time was because I got gas at Sam's at 7am and the Academy lot was full and people were still streaming in to the point it overflowed into Sam's (next door).

jt4703
Black Friday Pro

Postby jt4703 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:17 pm

I went out Thursday morning to Meijer to grab some last minute food items for dinner and pick up some socks and one of the electric blankets on the Thursday only sale. There were about 30 people in the electronics area getting the doorbuster specials, a few women picking over the fancy scarves, and everyone else was in grocery. By the time I was ready to check out the traffic had picked up but nothing like a regular BF sale.

On my way home from dinner I hit WM at 7:30pm to pick up some of the clothing items and the store was busy but not too bad. They set up the 8 station self check area for customers who were paying with credit/debit and didn't have any 1-hour guarantee items and kept calling people from the back of the line to get them through faster so I wasn't in the store more than 20 minutes and most of that time was spent locating where all the clothing items were in the display boxes. BB and Staples had somewhat full parking lots but I didn't need to visit as I grabbed my big ticket items online before dinner.

On my way to Menards at 4am Friday, driving past a couple BB, WM and Staples, the parking lots were mostly empty. The line was longer than last year at the same time, but once we all got in the store, everyone seemed to be pretty calm and there weren't too many traffic jams like previous years. The Menards guys did a good job controlling the line/crowd to avoid cutters and kept the flow steady at the door.

Probably the most uneventful and 'boring' BF shopping trip I have taken, but I suppose it's my own fault buying the big items online instead of jousting for them in the stores. Next year I'd like to see more stores do early Thanksgiving day hours and then close at 9-10am until 10pm-midnight, or better yet 3-4am Friday. I like having different sets of deals for different hours/days but I do not want to miss family dinner to stand in line for a deal and I don't think employees should need to miss out on the normal dinner time either.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:39 pm

Sales continued to climb this year. They rose 2.3% from last year!

http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/30/news/ec ... ?hpt=hp_t2
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

kowen
Black Friday Pro

Postby kowen » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:30 pm

teknoge3k wrote:Sales continued to climb this year. They rose 2.3% from last year!

Are those numbers for online and in store? I know some people said that crowds were normal for them, but I experienced the opposite. Walmart didn't even fill its parking lot here for the 6 and 8pm sales, and it usually overflows into neighboring lots. Target usually has a huge line inside to check out, and the line was only about half as long as normal. I had next to no waiting at Kohls at 11, and even at that time in years past, it has been to the back of the store. Anyone else noticed less people in the store?

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:44 pm

kowen wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:Sales continued to climb this year. They rose 2.3% from last year!

Are those numbers for online and in store? I know some people said that crowds were normal for them, but I experienced the opposite. Walmart didn't even fill its parking lot here for the 6 and 8pm sales, and it usually overflows into neighboring lots. Target usually has a huge line inside to check out, and the line was only about half as long as normal. I had next to no waiting at Kohls at 11, and even at that time in years past, it has been to the back of the store. Anyone else noticed less people in the store?

Sears was pretty empty at 9am on BF.
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

happyfan
Black Friday Pro

Postby happyfan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:03 am

Walmart, KMart, and a few others were pretty vacant Friday morning. Went to WM about 8:30 for the discount trees and almost parked in the first spots. Maybe 30 or so cars. Real quiet too. Just a handful of shoppers looking over the leftovers. I think most were there just for their weekly shopping trip.
KMart was just dead. Lowe's had a solid crowd.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:23 am

I don't know if it was in stores, or online, or both. I would imagine both. I know all stores around here were PACKED. But based on the areas that people have posted here, I'd imagine people shopped online there. I'd guess both..
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

kowen
Black Friday Pro

Postby kowen » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:44 pm

teknoge3k wrote:I don't know if it was in stores, or online, or both. I would imagine both. I know all stores around here were PACKED. But based on the areas that people have posted here, I'd imagine people shopped online there. I'd guess both..

Yeah it may just be a regional thing. Most people said that it was busier than normal where they went shopping.

LSUduck
Black Friday Newbie

Postby LSUduck » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Not to bump an old thread but I am new here and I thought I would share my thoughts.

Family and I went out after midnight last year. We went to Target, Best Buy and then to JCPenney's/Macy's at the mall before arriving at Cost Plus at 8am.

Target was quite busy but still had everything I wanted even though they had been open all night. Same with Best Buy. All the movies I wanted were still there. I was thrilled.

The mall was quiet at around 2am-3am. Completely dead. Not crowd even for the mid-morning snowglobes at JCPenneys. Not surprised Best Buy and the mall around here are both saying "screw this" to being open between 1am-6am this year. Judging from last year, there was no point.

Testing my luck again this year. Not going out before midnight as a matter of personal principle. If it worked out last year why not this year?

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:30 pm

Cause almost everything is available to buy online. BF has turned into a Cyber week, from Wednesday thru Sunday.. then rinse and wash it off and label it Cyber Monday.

Next year all of the BF sales will simply start ONLINE on the Tuesday before and in stores on Wed... stores find they don't need to wait until Thursday.

I agree that it's weird how there are "1000's of doorbusters" online now.. Home Depots entire catalog is "on BF sale", target too, walmart..etc.. they just took 5-10% off the price.

A few gems here and there, but you gotta know what you want

buynstuff4fun
Black Friday Pro

Postby buynstuff4fun » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:47 pm

This is a very interesting post. I had the exact same strategy! I did a lot of my shopping online Wednesday night, hit a few stores on my way home from Thanksgiving but was in bed by 10pm, and then hit BF on Friday at 3am. Hit Macy's first and the store was empty! I was the only shopper I saw there!!! Walgreens, Joann's were also dead. Mall was as busy as a regular weekend day, but not crazy. I don't think I waited for a register once during the entire shopping day. I think that so many people are taking advantage of online sales, that there just are not as many bodies at the retail stores anymore.

Kento87
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kento87 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:41 pm

We ordered about 75% of our list online as early as 2 weeks before for some legos on sale at TRU. Had TD dinner and left the house are 5:10. our Walmart was somewhat packed at 5:30 when we got there. at 6 they started the sale but there was no loud roar or anything. I waited in line to get the $99 xBox 360 when my wife wheeled up with the 3 legos sets then gave me that as she ran off to get the other stuff on our list. about the same time as I paid for the xBox she arrived with all the items except 1 DVD. We were home by 6:50. went to bed got up around 8 am, ordered our 6 gift cards from target online and had breakfast. Left to go to the mall around 1 and let the kids get moms gifts there. Not very crowded and very civil, Shopping BF in the afternoon is a lot more relaxing :) Then off to TRU for the kids to get something for each other. Wal-Mart was packed but manageable, the MALL was busy but not heavy. TRU was very light.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:15 am

I think they said in-store sales were down a little bit this year and most news reports were saying it was because of the hours. Will be interesting to see what the store hours do next year... go back to last year or keep getting earlier?

raymacfla
Black Friday Pro

Postby raymacfla » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:26 pm

I heard a different WM about 10 minutes away had EVERYTHING left because they had a sewage backup incident and everyone kept walking in and instantly leaving it was so bad.[/quote]

I wish that was my Walmart! i do not have a sense of smell and I would have cleaned up!

techgirlable
Black Friday Newbie

Postby techgirlable » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:18 am

I felt the same way! Even going out when the deals started the line was pretty small and things moved really smoothly. I think p[eople just werent as excited this year.

Return to “Rants and Raves”