Anyone else having an empty feeling this BF season?

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

iamkristen
Black Friday Pro

Re: Anyone else having an empty feeling this BF season?

Postby iamkristen » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:05 am

Hi All,

I have felt the same this year. However, I've tried really hard to appreciate the fact that there is very little I want or need at this point in my life. I've tried to reiterate that to family and friends who could better spend the money on something they truly do need (or even want)! There are so many people out there that need a lot of help and so many people (kids in particular) that don't even get the chance to ask for something they want. I try to remember that when I'm feeling down or frustrated.

(I hope this doesn't come off as a lecture, that's certainly not my intent at all!!) And don't get me wrong, there's always something new or improved that I wouldn't mind to have. When I'm feeling upset, I just really have tried to remind myself that I have so much to be thankful for and not having any major "needs" is definitely one of them!

If you're in that place in your life too, there's so many people that could really use some of these BF items that you are overstocked on! As we've been going through the foster/adoption process, we've learned so much more about the foster care system. This year, we decided to focus on helping kids in our local foster care system. They are usually not allowed to bring anything with them when they are taken from their home. We have chosen to buy for one 16 year old, and 2 college students who did not get sponsors. (They can be in foster care until they're 21! That means they are away from home trying to focus on school and have absolutely nobody.) :(

I've already gotten almost everything I need for their goody bags. And because I'm working less hours this year, we are keeping it fairly simple and don't have a whole lot extra to "go overboard" with. The $8 oversized throws at Kohls were perfect! I've also gotten (pre) BF deals (and steals!) on all kinds of stuff that will hopefully make their Christmas just a little brighter!

So, if you're able to, consider going out for the hunt to get a few things that you can share! You don't have to obligate yourself to anything either. You can pick up what you can get, and just bring general items to your dept. of social services., homeless shelter, animal shelter, nursing home, or even head start/preschool etc. It's a win-win situation for all!! :)

Captain_Canada
Black Friday Pro

Postby Captain_Canada » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:17 am

I think alot has to do with the fact that there isn't really anything good being offered. Where are the stellar deals? There really aren't anything. Ya, we picked up a couple odds and ends this year, but nothing to get excited over.

Best part of TG is the fact we get to spend it with our families, and hopefully all are in good health with roofs over our heads..... that's the important thing.

BF364
Black Friday Pro

Postby BF364 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:14 am

jamizer wrote:I miss standing outside the mall at 4:00am waiting for the doors to open. Then hitting the stores as they opened at 5:00am, 6:00am. and 7:00am Friday morning. Now that is all gone. Like others have said, what is the fun of going to Walmart at 6:00pm on Thanksgiving evening????

I really think they need to push the starting time now to EARLY Thanksgiving morning. Then get the stores all closed by noon. Get the shopping done...then go eat turkey. I could go for that :)

Not that I'm a huge fan of dragging myself out into the cold at 0-dark-thirty on any day but I think the evening hours stink...I have a parent with mild to moderate Alzheimers (and I am the primary caregiver) and you definitely can't take someone like that out shopping at night due to 'sundowning' or an increase in bad behaviors because they've hit their limit for the day dealing with what to them is an increasingly confusing world. Add to that the 'knockout games' young hooligans these days want to play, video and upload (and the elderly being great targets for that game) and well, going out for the odd hour sales is just a terrible idea. When the sales were early in the AM the thrill seeking kids were crashed out somewhere but in the evenings they're out on the prowl in their prime time.

An early morning sale might give him a chance to get out & do some shopping himself, but it's best for me to shop either online or in the off season (well before or after November - January) to get the best deals on things he could use or would like to give to others as gifts.

That said some of you veterans with mad BF shopping skills could do someone else a solid favor and go out and BF shop for either a person with dementia or their primary family caregiver (believe me my family time and personal time has become way more important than saving every last penny). I have never been a big fan of the holidays (too much pressure crammed into too little time), I prefer to give presents on my schedule, and I think it's fun to give well-priced gifts when you find them and surprise people when you want to do so (or when you think they most need a pick me up in their mood). But as I'm in the minority, I get that this is how things are going to evolve because too many others like it this way now. I have to evolve with the times and with my parent and so BF has definitely changed for me.

jamizer
Black Friday Pro

Postby jamizer » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:14 pm

Now it is 8:00pm on Thanksgiving. My 2013 Black Friday shopping is complete...yet Friday isn't even here yet. Between the stores opening at 6 or 8 on Thanksgiving, and most stores offering the sales online hours before the store opens...what is left to buy on Friday?!?!?

thejoseph5
Black Friday Pro

Postby thejoseph5 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:46 am

I agree, what is left to buy in stores that I really need.

deborah37
Black Friday Newbie

Postby deborah37 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:10 am

:D :D So I am done except for two things.
I did all my shopping online except for the recliner I just bought at big lots.
I need one thing at big lots, and I now have the $10 big lots bucks.
I need a dress shirt for my son, I have $30 in Kohls cash.
So I will get those next week.

It is over!

7 years ago I sat outside Best Buy with the kids, in lawn chairs, with a tarp over us. Started at midnight, some people were in tents. After shopping we went to Dunkin Donuts, then went to the movies for a matinee. Then home to sleep.

I do miss it. But kids are grown.

It is absolutely different. But then again, really, it was cold and drizzly out back then. So.........

Chris04626
Black Friday Pro

Postby Chris04626 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:05 pm

i do my shopping online, and i have yet to buy anything. Just nothing has popped out at me. Walmart has things where you can save $3- or $4 of some items woohoo

Nothing has excited me enough to buy

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:32 pm

I am with you. I don't need a TV, Computer, or anything electronic every year so for me black friday has gone down hill in the past few years. I went to wally world last night with a friend to help her get PJ's and then went to walmart this morning to just walk around and it was so dead in there it did not feel like black friday because it was done the night before. I know things change as the years come and go but gosh.

I must admit though it was nice to just stay home and watch movies and pig out.

Skillet9886
Black Friday Pro

Postby Skillet9886 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:35 pm

I am with you all. I always look forward to BF...my brother and I have shopped together every year we've done Thanksgiving together since we were in high school, and have since incorporated his wife and my fiance into our tradition.

I just cannot get behind Thanksgiving evening shopping, no matter how good the deal is. We loved eating a huge dinner, getting out the circulars, planning a route, taking a nap, and embarking on our 3AM adventure. Last year we did actually go out around 10PM and stayed out until Home Depot opened at 6. That was a lot of fun, but I still prefer early morning openings. This year we "boycotted" by not leaving the house until midnight so it was officially Friday. We went to all the usuals...Target, WM, BB, the mall, etc. I was shocked at how many of the doorbusters were still available. My fiance and I wanted a new TV, so I grabbed the 55" LG from bestbuy.com earlier in the day while the turkey was in the oven. I was just curious, so I asked about it when we hit BB at about 3AM and they still had some available! I think they still had all their doorbusters then. It just takes the thrill out of it. :(

I really miss waking up in the middle of the night and shopping through 2PM to coordinate all the early morning store openings. We were eating dinner when most of the big box retailers opened! Most anticlimactic BF ever.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:16 pm

I zero in on the few things we actually need, identify the items in ad scans for a shopping trip, search the web on T day to see if I can save some trips and call ahead to secure PM'ing. It seems to get easier each year. Less to buy, more sources to choose from and price wars to pick the best deal.

jamizer
Black Friday Pro

Postby jamizer » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Talk about doorbuster items still left over...I made another stop at Walmart shortly after midnight on the 29th. They still had different doorbuster items available and a good selection of the discounted DVD's, CD's, and Blu-Rays. I stopped at an Ace hardware on the evening of the 29th. They had almost all their doorbusters still in stock.

Honestly, I thought most of the sales weren't very attractive. A number of stores I have shopped at in the past: Kohls, Staples, Big Lots, etc. I just didn't find anything appealing. I remember when Staples use to have tremendous bargains. But of course, that was back in the day when they had competition. Now I rarely visit Staples at all.

Well on to Cyber Monday. 90% of what I bought this year has been through online anyhow....so time for more cyber shopping.

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:56 am

I have everything I need most years. This year and probably next will be a bit busier as we try to settle into our new house.

Besides the that, finding gifts for my kids and family and the "thrill of the hunt" finding a good deal that suits my hobbies is what keeps me from retiring from BF

rapidspeed
Black Friday Newbie

Postby rapidspeed » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:42 am

I feel the same way. I get excited when I see the 50+ inch T.V's going for under $500, but I don't need anymore T.V's. I just grab a few video games and movies, a few kitchen items and such, but I am grateful that I have all of the big ticket items already, and life is good. :D

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:16 pm

I wouldn't say empty, it just seemed different this year.
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

mabrey
Black Friday Pro

Postby mabrey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:30 am

I definitely had an off feeling this year. I did a majority of my shopping online, so the need to have to hurry to get to the next place didn't exist (I only had 3 retail stores to go to). There also was that special feeling that you would get setting the alarm for 2am to go wait in those lines. Yes there are lines now, but it just feels like any other day for some reason & I'm not sure why.

Return to “Rants and Raves”