Stop YELLING at me :(

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Re: Stop YELLING at me :(

Postby Vols44 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:37 am

I like the stories about people who talk/yell without thinking. I use to fight fire with fire, but I've adopted a silence that makes them look and feel like a turd for bringing the hate, amplified tone and general "cluelessness" to a conversation.

BFriGirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFriGirl » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:02 pm

Sorry guys, I'm pretty sure I posted this last year and then disappeared because I got completely overwhelmed with school and mommy hood. Didn't mean to just leave it hanging. Glad to see I wasnt alone though. I did go shopping regardless of all the flack I got. I plan to again this year too. Looks like start times are going to be even earlier this year, however. Time to break out the ear plugs and open the bird cage. :P
BF nut in training!

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:40 pm

I am right there with you. Although I love my family dearly. Sigh, they think I'm a miracle worker. I have 4 kiddos and taking them 3 different places with tummies full as can be just isn't cutting it anymore. Last year I said the heck with it and we had our own thanksgiving dinner. I have a family of my own now so why can I not do that for mine? And like last year I will still get the rundown of who will have the better turkey, who will have it done quicker so we can get their first, and how i don't love them bc I'd rather go shopping. I'm glad they have upped the shopping times bc that gave me more of a kick in the butt to do what I've wanted to do for a long time... to finally do it my way. As I said, I love them and I see them all the time but it's time I start my own family traditions ( this will be the 4th year me and my dd go bf shopping).

JrdnJstn
Black Friday Pro

Postby JrdnJstn » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:58 pm

I work every holiday and yes I get sick of it but hey it's time and a half for me. The only reason I get sick of it is because I'm a single mom and my son is at home by himself. He has missed out on plenty holidays and I feel like a failure most times.

Thanksgiving is not so bad for me because I don't have family where I am. I usually end up at a friend's house or just stay home.

I hate working Christmas though because I have to postpone it to around noon.

My son is older now but I still feel like a failure because I have to work and I can't show him how great it feels to be around family during these times, even though family is far away.

I know many companies force their employees to work and others ask for people to volunteer to work.

I don't complain to much because it's not like I'm working 24 hours. If you want to shop then go shop :D
The biggest lie I tell myself is... "I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it."

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:32 am

JrdnJstn wrote:I work every holiday and yes I get sick of it but hey it's time and a half for me. The only reason I get sick of it is because I'm a single mom and my son is at home by himself. He has missed out on plenty holidays and I feel like a failure most times.

Thanksgiving is not so bad for me because I don't have family where I am. I usually end up at a friend's house or just stay home.

My son is older now but I still feel like a failure because I have to work and I can't show him how great it feels to be around family during these times, even though family is far away.

First off ((((((HUGS))))! You are not a failure. You are doing what you have to do and there is nothing to feel like a failure about. Secondly, family is not just a one way street. If they haven't noticed you working hard and wanting to try to come to you, then maybe you don't need them in your life anyways. If I knew a few years down the road that one of my children was busting their tail to do what is right; you better believe I would be coming to them for the holidays. Sorry; I am not bashing your family by any means so please don't take it that way. I just hope that you get to have some joy and find the silver lining in all you do.

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:29 pm

Just shop if you want to. That's it. I would love if the majority of businesses were closed on Thanksgiving though and that those who did work got paid tons (and I mean more than time and a half for a retail job).

The whole working system of my country should be examined with 5 day work weeks etc., but that conversation is for another day. :mrgreen:

BFriGirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFriGirl » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:53 pm

JrdnJstn wrote:I work every holiday and yes I get sick of it but hey it's time and a half for me. The only reason I get sick of it is because I'm a single mom and my son is at home by himself. He has missed out on plenty holidays and I feel like a failure most times.

I know many companies force their employees to work and others ask for people to volunteer to work.

I don't complain to much because it's not like I'm working 24 hours. If you want to shop then go shop :D

My husband has had to work many holidays and I know he feels similar. He actually has this thanksgiving off because he has to have Thursday for my school but otherwise he would be working. This year he is at a restaurant instead of retail but that's the only difference. So, that being said please don't feel like a failure. The sheer fact that you are working so hard to better yours and your sons lives makes you anything other than a failure. It makes you awesome. I really don't think places should be open until at least 6 in order to give everyone time on the holiday TBH.

On the other hand I have zero intention of shopping anywhere that opens before 6. I think that is too early because at 6 pretty much everything besides the dishes is done but any earlier and it cuts right into the middle of the holiday.
BF nut in training!

Return to “Rants and Raves”