Stop YELLING at me :(

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Re: Stop YELLING at me :(

Postby azerigold » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:20 am

I am very careful about posting on FB for this very reason! I did mention something about not liking the store opening hours, and was worried there would be an onslaught of comments, but surprisingly there weren't many. It ended up turning into a discussion on how early the stores started playing Christmas music/putting out Christmas decorations/etc.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:42 am

OMG I am sooo tired of it. I stopped after just one post bc of all the guilt trips about how it should be family time, blah blah blah. Why is it that you have to spend time with family on just one day? We have family time all of the time. It's like saying if you go to church on just Easter your a big christian, etc. I worked in the healthcare field for 11years; so having a 'carved out' time for Thanksgiving was never our thing. My mom is still in the nursing field so I know that she'll probably have to work as well. 1) if you want to shop instead of pining over a dead bird and try to make peace with not so nice relatives; go for it. 2) you do what you do to make you happy; it's your life so live it. You only get one so don't sweat the small stuff. 3) if they whine, let them. They probably whine about alot of petty stuff anyways.

In short it's like those 30 days of giving thanks but b!tch the other 335. :roll: People are going to complain no matter what; just make sure you have some good ammo to fire back at them. :twisted:

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:43 am

Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

gadgetgirlz
Black Friday Pro

Postby gadgetgirlz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:18 pm

That drives me nuts too! There has always been at least one person in my family that works on Thanksgiving (many times including me). We rarely have Thanksgiving on Thursday. It's usually Wed, Fri, or Sat. So I don't want to hear crap from someone who is working retail but doesn't want to work on a Holiday.

I also hate the comments about consumerism and not buying from big corporations. Sure I support local businesses all the time and I agree that it's important but that doesn't mean that I want to boycott all other companies. I do what I feel is right. I am fine with my conscious. I don't need some holier than thou speech from anyone.

Of course I'm much nicer when confronted with these things but sometimes it really gets under my skin.

Thanks for giving me this opportunity to vent. ;-) It's nice to hear that I'm not alone.

tattsb4u
Black Friday Amateur

Postby tattsb4u » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:27 pm

It's the first time that we are actually having Thanksgiving at our house (just got married) and I sent out an email yesterday to everyone telling them we are eating at 2 p.m.....and you can consider it lunch if you want too LOL, but I am shopping!

Everyone knows I Black Friday shop....so we will eat at 2 p.m. and if they want to hang with the hubby for pie all 15 of them are more than welcome...or maybe they will come shop with me and my daughter :lol:

It was my daughters first year shopping with me last year...the two of us had such a blast. Sometimes the teen/mom relationship is more arguing than laughing....but last year we laughed our butts off....I had so much fun with her freezing, standing in line with our blankets and when the doors opened, she was all on it! The early morning/midnight openings is what I will miss.....BUT I will still shop and my family will just need to deal with it.....after all I am buying them gifts right? :shock:

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:25 pm

I've been seeing the 'Boycott stores on Thanksgiving day' stuff all over FB and am so fed up with it!
I asked a store a question on FB, and a family member happened upon my post and started to rant about them being open, etc.

So.... I wrote this on my wall....

Ok for all my FB friends and all who are posting about boycotting stores who open on Thanksgiving day. Your not going to like my opinion, but I am going to give it anyway.
1. There are always stores open on Thanksgiving day, this is not something new. In fact, I can't remember anyone boycotting or making a big deal out of it all the years I've worked in retail/grocery. Kroger has always been open until 5pm, and walmart is 24 hours. Walgreens especially 24 hour stores. Sure Walgreens is also a pharmacy, but they always have big sales when they could just open up drive through and only have pharmacy people there right?
2. People who work retail KNOW what they are getting into. If they don't then that's their problem. Doesn't matter what kind of pay you are getting, you still KNOW what your getting into. The stores have always been competitive this time of year, we all know it. Even if the stores were closed you better believe there are crews there getting ready for the Friday sales...
3. Unless things have changed so dramatically, then most stores offer holiday pay to regular employees who are past their probation period.
4. Temporary/holiday employees again KNOW what they are getting into, and know they probably won't be getting holiday pay.
5. Going back to #1... If you work retail YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO.

I do not agree with the Black Friday sales start times, but I'm guessing last year was a big success and that is what is pushing the times forward more. For everyone that complains and boycotts, there will be at least 5 people to take their place. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. The stores aren't going to hurt even if 1 in 5 stay home this year.

I also think this is a push for online shopping. I myself, would much rather go into a store, make contact with real people and buy local, so at least those people will still have jobs! Online really does hurt the stores....

'Nuff said?

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:20 am

azerigold wrote:I've been seeing the 'Boycott stores on Thanksgiving day' stuff all over FB and am so fed up with it!
I asked a store a question on FB, and a family member happened upon my post and started to rant about them being open, etc.

Ok for all my FB friends and all who are posting about boycotting stores who open on Thanksgiving day. Your not going to like my opinion, but I am going to give it anyway.
1. There are always stores open on Thanksgiving day, this is not something new. In fact, I can't remember anyone boycotting or making a big deal out of it all the years I've worked in retail/grocery. Kroger has always been open until 5pm, and walmart is 24 hours. Walgreens especially 24 hour stores. Sure Walgreens is also a pharmacy, but they always have big sales when they could just open up drive through and only have pharmacy people there right?
2. People who work retail KNOW what they are getting into. If they don't then that's their problem. Doesn't matter what kind of pay you are getting, you still KNOW what your getting into. The stores have always been competitive this time of year, we all know it. Even if the stores were closed you better believe there are crews there getting ready for the Friday sales...
3. Unless things have changed so dramatically, then most stores offer holiday pay to regular employees who are past their probation period.
4. Temporary/holiday employees again KNOW what they are getting into, and know they probably won't be getting holiday pay.

I do not agree with the Black Friday sales start times, but I'm guessing last year was a big success and that is what is pushing the times forward more. For everyone that complains and boycotts, there will be at least 5 people to take their place. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. The stores aren't going to hurt even if 1 in 5 stay home this year.

I also think this is a push for online shopping. I myself, would much rather go into a store, make contact with real people and buy local, so at least those people will still have jobs! Online really does hurt the stores....

'Nuff said?

LOOOOVE IT!! However I think I want to share and make it more of a pg13 version. I'm just so sick of hearing it. Everytime I post a deal I have some little dipwad posting about how it's family time. If they don't like it block me; I will be happy your little whiney 2cents are gone. :twisted:

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:31 am

I posted a not-so-PG13 version on my Facebook the other day. I don't think it would be forum appropriate, or I would share. :wink:

In a nutshell, I basically told people that if they don't like it, they can unfriend me, but not in so nice of words lol. They should all know by now that I shop on Thursday, because I've been posting pictures of myself and other friends/family doing just that for years now. I even shot a video a few years ago of my friends and I being goofy in Walmart at 2am. They're all so against me doing the shopping, yet they're quick to like my videos and pics and tell me how hilarious they are. SMH... :roll:

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Haha...I thought my version was pretty 'PG-13' ??? :lol: I try to keep it clean & nice as I know there are teens who see my posts.

I understand that many wish for it to be like the old days when nothing was open on Thanksgiving. But times are changing :(

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:37 pm

I won't yell at you :)

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:41 pm

azerigold wrote:Haha...I thought my version was pretty 'PG-13' ??? :lol: I try to keep it clean & nice as I know there are teens who see my posts.

I understand that many wish for it to be like the old days when nothing was open on Thanksgiving. But times are changing :(

I do wish for the old days, but that is for a different forum...BF will never be the same again. If any of the sales as of late indicate anything, BF is dead to what it used to be for good. There are so many "pre-BF deals," "BF deals now," "price matching BF prices now" going on and each store trying to get the one-up on the other...with Amazon seeming to match them all. Its almost to the point of messiness but there are some deals to be had that are even better than BF. Nothing to yell over...just retail doing anything it can to try and get sales.

Vigge86
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Vigge86 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:36 pm

azerigold wrote:I've been seeing the 'Boycott stores on Thanksgiving day' stuff all over FB and am so fed up with it!

'Nuff said?

Great post! :) :) Did anyone of your friends and family comment on it? And I very much agree on that online shopping really hurts the stores..and the employees.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:43 pm

Vigge86 wrote:

'Nuff said?

Great post! :) :) Did anyone of your friends and family comment on it? And I very much agree on that online shopping really hurts the stores..and the employees.

Some did and comments were positive, but obviously the people doing all of the complaining didn't comment LOL :lol:

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:31 am

jeanerz13 wrote:I think the worst is the butt-insky that has to lecture you on shopping Black Friday at all. I commented on a friend's (from work) post last year... can't remember exactly what he said... maybe didn't have plans or something and I just kind of playfully responded something like "only X days until Black Friday". And this other co-worker, who I barely interact with at work (friend on this other guy's list but certainly not on MY friend list) went into this tirade about consumerism and how I should be spending my time at an old folks home or something instead of shopping. Nothing to do with shopping on Thanksgiving day or whatever (which I didn't anyway). Kind of annoyed me. And since it was someone that works in the same office, I made sure to keep my internal filter on ;)

Internal filter...............I need to learn that. That is a good one! :)
It just isn't Black Friday when it is Thursday.......

Kento87
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kento87 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:42 pm

YELLING @ YOU!!!!!

:mrgreen:

Return to “Rants and Raves”