Your first time out on BF

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

happyfan
Black Friday Pro

Your first time out on BF

Postby happyfan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:34 pm

Somebody mentioned it in another thread so I figure why not make a thread about it. Sure, they may be another thread around here but with all the necroing of 3 year old threads, I figured a new thread was in order (plus the search feature is for squares). When, where, and how was your first BF?

For me, it was in 2002. I had never had any chance to go because I always had to work the day after Thanksgiving. Truck out at 1 in the morning to hit the WM before it was a supercenter. Was maybe 20th in line. Starts snowing about 2 then around 4 it started to ice. Then back to snow. Clothes were frozen and my freshly started beard resembled more of a popsicle. Around 5, some of the employees came out and passed out tickets for the first 50 in line for some gift card drawings. Won a $50 gift card and the soon to be wife won $100. Guy in front of us won the $500. By 5:30 a.m., the parking lot was full.
But what was so shocking was everybody filed in quietly, rushed to get their stuff, and nobody made a fool of themselves. Got what we came for (home stuff since we were getting married in just a couple months) and checked out. Got some breakfast and enjoyed the rest of the morning just browsing different stores. Went home, grabbed a nap, showered, and decorated the tree while munching some left overs. After we finished, went back to see if anything was left and bought more worthless junk. :lol:

Kind of miss the old days of BF before all the idiots took it over.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Re: Your first time out on BF

Postby sportymonkey » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:02 am

I will try to not make this long. My first experience was in 04. I was intrigued about the free snowglobes at Penny's. My mil was looking for any excuse to go shopping. LOL. We ventured out and got our globes. We noticed the mall was open so though why not. Our jaws dropped when we came to the Disney Store bc everything was 40% off on top of already sales. That is where we got our magic and tradition. We killed that store. Back then my oldest 2 were the only grandchildren and a tad bit spoiled by grandma. I think I spent like 60 bucks but saved 300. It was great. We stayed out and shopped for 6 hours and slept. We made it a tradition to go to those 2 places first every year. She was so hooked that we even went in 07 before her dialysis appt. She passed 6 months later.
However, in the turn of things, my oldest dd is now carrying on in her place. Although we haven't really found that magic store yet that is our go to every year; it's still a tradition that we do know matter what.
:sniff: Now I'm going to go cry. LOL!

happyfan
Black Friday Pro

Postby happyfan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:24 am

:cry:

That's awesome you had that time with your MIL. As far as you and the DD, I imagine she enjoys it more than you'll ever realize. I wish I had the same opportunity when I was younger. I'd of been excited as heck to spend that quality time.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:52 am

geez...couldn't give you an exact year, but I used to go with my mom and my aunt about 30 years ago.
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:55 am

Yep, I'm with steff on this. I can't remember the exact year, but I was young and it was 20+ years ago. If we count Thanksgiving day at KMart, it was closer to 30 years ago. That was always a tradition in our family, and I believe I was somewhere around 5 or so when I started doing the KMart thing with the rest of the ladies while the men watched football. As for Black Friday, it wasn't long after that until my mom started taking me with on her shopping treks. I was fairly young yet. I remember she used to get on my dad's case because he would do the Christmas Eve rush thing to buy all of us kids' gifts. Do you guys remember when that was a thing? A lot of stores would stay open until almost midnight on Christmas Eve for a last minute, late night shopper thing? Boy, am I aging myself now... :oops: :lol:

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:00 am

I remember the xmas eve rush thing as well. i want to say that stopped in the mid-late 80s while there was an abundance of church-going renewal....
steffsbags@ymail.com

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:05 am

I remember the open late shopping on Christmas Eve. My mom was one of those frantic Cabbage Patch finders. Guess she didn't find it bc my grandmother made us one.

pandagirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby pandagirl » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:11 am

sportymonkey wrote:I remember the open late shopping on Christmas Eve. My mom was one of those frantic Cabbage Patch finders. Guess she didn't find it bc my grandmother made us one.

My aunt was one of the sneaky employees. She grabbed one for me off the truck from gold circle, where she worked!

I went out in 02 for the first time, but it was just at 5 am to get a DVD player. In 04, I did the all night thing with a bunch of my family. We arrived at best buy around 8 pm and waited in line all night. I remember wearing my grandpas hunting gear that was way too big, but pretty warm! I don't think they opened til 5 am and I got a tv for our new house (we had gotten married that summer). Ever since then, I've been going some place or another with a group of my cousins and we hit a lot of stores! I think we have more fun planning our night together.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:17 am

omg...cabbage patches...i was 11. my mom didn't work so she was the mom who worked with all the other moms making sure we all got them...then in spring, TGY was going out of business so they had tons of midnight madness sales. My mom drug us girls to several of them I won a 12 speed bike at one and my sister won 3 diff cabbage patches over the ones we went to.
steffsbags@ymail.com

harleygirl6363
Black Friday Pro

Postby harleygirl6363 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:48 am

I believe the first year I went out was in 1999 with my mom and my two sisters. we originally went for the snow globes. we shopped as long as we could before i had to go to work at 8am :( Since that year I take off of work every year and go out on my own or with someone doesnt matter to me. I know my family is out shopping as well so we are together in spirit

nikkigirl01
Black Friday Pro

Postby nikkigirl01 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:16 am

I was 8 yrs old on my first BF. I went shopping with my grandmother (who raised me) in downtown Philly. I can't tell you what we bought, but I can tell you that the "magical feeling" of that day has never left me. We did BF together until the year she died (I was 22.) Even now, before I go to my first store on "officially" Friday (after midnight), I take a shot of whiskey and thank her for giving me all those years of time together. (My grams always took a shot of Jack...or 4..LOL...to stay warm when we were waiting in line... )

I miss her terribly...every day...but on BF more than others.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:20 am

nikkigirl01 wrote:I was 8 yrs old on my first BF. I went shopping with my grandmother (who raised me) in downtown Philly. I can't tell you what we bought, but I can tell you that the "magical feeling" of that day has never left me. We did BF together until the year she died (I was 22.) Even now, before I go to my first store on "officially" Friday (after midnight), I take a shot of whiskey and thank her for giving me all those years of time together. (My grams always took a shot of Jack...or 4..LOL...to stay warm when we were waiting in line... )

I miss her terribly...every day...but on BF more than others.

Grams left you with fond memories :) cherish them
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

az1wyldcat
Black Friday Amateur

Postby az1wyldcat » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:14 pm

My first year was in 2005. I was going to go to the gym at 5 am and I said forget it!!!! So I went shopping all by myself..boy was that rough! None the less I was hooked.....So much so that the next year I had surgery 5 days before black Friday and was not supposed to drive so I had my mother drive me...AND I still had my surgical drains sticking out of my abdomen so I just tucked them in a fanny pack and I did my thing!!!! Love black Friday!

harleygirl6363
Black Friday Pro

Postby harleygirl6363 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:21 pm

az1wyldcat wrote:My first year was in 2005. I was going to go to the gym at 5 am and I said forget it!!!! So I went shopping all by myself..boy was that rough! None the less I was hooked.....So much so that the next year I had surgery 5 days before black Friday and was not supposed to drive so I had my mother drive me...AND I still had my surgical drains sticking out of my abdomen so I just tucked them in a fanny pack and I did my thing!!!! Love black Friday!

Thats some hardcore dedication and I LOVE IT!!!

MegaBlue
Black Friday Pro

Postby MegaBlue » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:16 am

My earliest BF memories were YEARS ago - early '90s, maybe? - when we'd all stand in line at 3am outside Value City Department Store for the free $20 gift certificates. I didn't even know WHAT I was going to buy with that magical $20, but it was free, and my math brain - at that tender young age - could figure it out and come pretty close to that $20 limit. Oh, and who could forget standing in line outside Hills and Kmart for whatever they'd be giving away to the first so-many customers?

Once I started to drive, then all bets were off. I'd be out there, year after year, spending myself into the poorhouse for one day, but it'd be worth it.

Nowadays, the deals really aren't there anymore. Sure, I'd love a new 32" TV for my bedroom for only $98, but I'd have to sacrifice over a week of my time to park myself in line outside of Best Buy (or was that at Walmart? Either way, the point stands) in order to have a chance of getting one. It's gotten SO MUCH WORSE since the video game companies started pushing the game systems out at Christmastime. It went from "I can go to Toys "R" Us at 3am, get breakfast at the BP/McDonald's across the street, and be one of the first dozen people in line for when the store would sneak-attack open at 5am because they were rebels" to "I can get there at 3am and get in line a half-mile down the plaza because 576 people think they're going to get the exact same thing that's on sale." Oh, you'd think that there would be a location that would be out-of-the-way enough that nobody would go there, but no... The more stores they build, the more people tend to magically appear alongside them. Now, of course, the recession killed off about a dozen or so different store chains (depending on where you live), so all of those shoppers have to congregate somewhere, right?

I keep thinking about the Walmart ad, and the only thing that pops into my mind is the poor cashier I talked with on Friday afternoon last year, when he told me that the entire city of Avon must have turned up for the sale. I want to go to Walmart, but I don't want to face the crowds. I'll likely venture out at around 10 and hit the 5-6pm opens first, just to pick through what's left. If I get a deal, great! If not, then I still have my sanity about me.

Return to “Rants and Raves”