Best Buy

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Best Buy

Postby tinytim35 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:24 pm

RANT RANT RANT!!!!

so much for letting the turkey settle before having to get out.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Re: Best Buy

Postby sportymonkey » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:52 pm

I've never tried BB on BF, this year even more. The earlier the times get, the more newbie teenagers venture out. I'm not that of an old fart but I have a gut feeling we'll see more ruckus this year bc of it.

happyfan
Black Friday Pro

Postby happyfan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Clearly the exec's at BB are on the bath salts.
I'm sure plenty of people were happy for the 8 or 10 p.m. store sales (I was). BUT (and that's a big but) earlier than that? Nah, I know people who are still visiting families or tidying up or even sitting down to eat around 5-6 p.m. I'm sure some people are just peeing themselves with glee but I have a feeling this is the beginning of the end for Turkey day sales. Consumers are going to draw a line and this may be it.

I imagine it's now a "leap frog" contest between WM and BB for start times. But here's some questions (SPOILER- slap on a tin foil hat before proceeding):

1. Could that be why the WM BF ad isn't released yet because they were waiting on BB to see what time they would start? Which brings us to:

2. Does WM have multiple ads printed, each with varying start times? One of those "CYOA" deals?

3. If WM does indeed go even earlier than BB (say 5 or even 4 p.m.), just how many customers will they lose to Amazon? People may be willing to go later in the day but not when it interrupts their plans. Instead, those same people can simply log-in, click to order, wait a few days, and not have to sacrifice their holiday.

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:15 pm

happyfan wrote:Clearly the exec's at BB are on the bath salts.
I'm sure plenty of people were happy for the 8 or 10 p.m. store sales (I was). BUT (and that's a big but) earlier than that? Nah, I know people who are still visiting families or tidying up or even sitting down to eat around 5-6 p.m. I'm sure some people are just peeing themselves with glee but I have a feeling this is the beginning of the end for Turkey day sales. Consumers are going to draw a line and this may be it.

I imagine it's now a "leap frog" contest between WM and BB for start times. But here's some questions (SPOILER- slap on a tin foil hat before proceeding):

1. Could that be why the WM BF ad isn't released yet because they were waiting on BB to see what time they would start? Which brings us to:

2. Does WM have multiple ads printed, each with varying start times? One of those "CYOA" deals?

3. If WM does indeed go even earlier than BB (say 5 or even 4 p.m.), just how many customers will they lose to Amazon? People may be willing to go later in the day but not when it interrupts their plans. Instead, those same people can simply log-in, click to order, wait a few days, and not have to sacrifice their holiday.

I think you are right on this one. I hated leaving the house at 8 last year to go to WM....I'll still be eating leftovers at 6!!

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Best buy can do what they want, I won't be there
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

newkirk32
Black Friday Pro

Postby newkirk32 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:01 pm

Well, the only good thing about the earlier start times mean, by 12am, everyone will have been to all the stores and scavenging can begin earlier.

I know last year after we did our primary DB run and got home and caught a nap, by the time 6am rolled around and out to World Market for some freebies, Best Buy, Wal Mart and Target were dead, but gave us the opportunity to hunt through all the leftovers like cheapie dvds and what nots.

I think 6pm is really pushing yet -- Will next year be OPEN TDAY at NOON?? I guess then you can get all your shopping done my 3pm, and then go home and have a later dinner

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:14 am

With all of these start times, I hope Amazon pulls a fast one and matches all the prices. If Amazon does well this year, then they beat the brick and mortar at their own game.

However, that depends on what Amazon chooses to do with the doorbusters.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:43 am

happyfan wrote:Clearly the exec's at BB are on the bath salts.

I bet WM does have multiple ads on file ready to be printed, that would be a smart thing.
One thing that does pop up in my mind though is that there is now a lull between 5pm and 7pm right? So why not 6pm?
With their fiasco this past week with the error on the prices; their loss prevention total should be pretty high. I would bet that they want to not compete in time frames to get back what was lost and have happy little shoppers all to themselves.

krazymop
Black Friday Pro

Postby krazymop » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:42 pm

Just open at 8am on Thursday and be done with it. That way we can shop and then gather with family after. Makes more sense than opening at 5pm or whatever.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:27 am

krazymop wrote:Just open at 8am on Thursday and be done with it. That way we can shop and then gather with family after. Makes more sense than opening at 5pm or whatever.

Cat out of the bag. way to go krazymop, your a year ahead of your time. jk

I see 8am openings so shoppers will be home by the Lions kickoff and have a peaceful t day dinner with shopping bags and gifts put away (and hidden) til company goes home so the clean up can begin with gift wrapping afterwards.

inthedark
Black Friday Pro

Postby inthedark » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:36 am

Vols44 wrote:
krazymop wrote:Just open at 8am on Thursday and be done with it. That way we can shop and then gather with family after. Makes more sense than opening at 5pm or whatever.

I see 8am openings so shoppers will be home by the Lions kickoff and have a peaceful t day dinner with shopping bags and gifts put away (and hidden) til company goes home so the clean up can begin with gift wrapping afterwards.

Go Lions!!!!!!

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:15 am

inthedark wrote:
Vols44 wrote:

Go Lions!!!!!!

:) beat the packers
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

Debs1973
Black Friday Pro

Postby Debs1973 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:05 am

jediknight wrote:With all of these start times, I hope Amazon pulls a fast one and matches all the prices. If Amazon does well this year, then they beat the brick and mortar at their own game.

However, that depends on what Amazon chooses to do with the doorbusters.

I would be ecstatic!!!!!

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:33 am

Noooo opening at 8am lol I am usually cooking, no way I could leave! I usually hit Kmart at 6am that morning, and have to be home by 7am to start cooking. Eat about 2pm.
I don't want to be up all night cooking, and too exhausted to shop.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:24 pm

Don't see anything there I want

Return to “Rants and Raves”