Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

K Mart Hours

Postby lwmjr » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:13 am

Saw this headline.

Kmart's T-Day hours (open 41 hours straight) spark outrage
8 hrs ago

When Kmart decided to open at 6 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day and stay open through Friday, (that's 41 hours straight) they probably didn't expect this much anger. People have threatened to boycott to store for not allowing employees to go home and spend the holiday with their families. In the past, Kmart still opened 6 a.m., but let employees go home at 4 p.m. to have dinner. When they announced they weren't doing that this year, people filled Kmart's Facebook page with messages calling the company "greedy," "heartless," and "morally bankrupt." Kmart says they'll staff each store with volunteers and seasonal employees where possible, and that the decision came after customers indicated they wanted more flexible holiday shopping hours. — By Nick Mangione [Source]
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Re: K Mart Hours

Postby mechimpaired » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:52 am

I saw this too but if you compare Kmart to Toys R us facebook pages it seems more people are upset over toys r us than Kmart. I find it odd the media has not picked up the TRU thing yet.

I mean KMart has always been open on Thanksgiving

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:00 am

Give them time, I'm sure there will be plenty of stories and debates :lol:
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

BFriGirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFriGirl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:01 am

I think more people are upset about TRU because it is harder to get out in the afternoon, when you are traditionally supposed to be with family than in the morning before anything starts happening. A lot of people are probably more upset that they will have to miss their holiday if they want to shop than they are concerned about the employees. It is weird that the media hasn't picked up that more people are angry at TRU though.
BF nut in training!

pdavis
Black Friday Pro

Postby pdavis » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:24 am

mechimpaired wrote:I saw this too but if you compare Kmart to Toys R us facebook pages it seems more people are upset over toys r us than Kmart. I find it odd the media has not picked up the TRU thing yet.

I mean KMart has always been open on Thanksgiving

Yeah it was on my news here in L.A. and I thought the same thing about kmart always being open thanksgiving day
I'm addicted!

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:09 am

BFriGirl wrote:I think more people are upset about TRU because it is harder to get out in the afternoon, when you are traditionally supposed to be with family than in the morning before anything starts happening. A lot of people are probably more upset that they will have to miss their holiday if they want to shop than they are concerned about the employees. It is weird that the media hasn't picked up that more people are angry at TRU though.

Exactly.

Like I said somewhere (I dunno. Been ranting alot :mrgreen: ) If we are going to keep creeping up the hours, let's just make it Dark Thursday and bust doors at 4am-6am on Thanksgiving morning. That way we can be done in time to still enjoy Thanksgiving dinner.

The 5pm opening is crap because that really means you need to be in line no later than 12pm-1pm if you want a chance at a doorbuster.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:21 am

drinkgreen wrote:
BFriGirl wrote:I think more people are upset about TRU because it is harder to get out in the afternoon, when you are traditionally supposed to be with family than in the morning before anything starts happening. A lot of people are probably more upset that they will have to miss their holiday if they want to shop than they are concerned about the employees. It is weird that the media hasn't picked up that more people are angry at TRU though.

Exactly.

Like I said somewhere (I dunno. Been ranting alot :mrgreen: ) If we are going to keep creeping up the hours, let's just make it Dark Thursday and bust doors at 4am-6am on Thanksgiving morning. That way we can be done in time to still enjoy Thanksgiving dinner.

The 5pm opening is crap because that really means you need to be in line no later than 12pm-1pm if you want a chance at a doorbuster.

its getting ridiculous,

ikey2
BFads Tin Man

Postby ikey2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:40 am

The thing that gets me is half the people that will complain on Facebook never had any intention to shop on BF in the firstplace.
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:11 pm

Regardless of the hours, most employees will only work a half shift (usually 4hrs). Even if they work their entire shift, it's only an 8hr shift for most employees. If they go in at 6, they will get off at either 10a or 2p, depending on how many hours they work. 2p will get off at 6p or 10p. It's not like they are there that whole entire time.

Plus like has been mentioned on many other threads, why get mad because KMart is open? Kmart has been open all day on Thanksgiving for years!

Hospitals, Public Safety (Police/Fire/Rescue), Water companies, electric companies, movie theaters, convenience stores, call centers, 24x7 restaurants (Denny's, IHop), truck stops, long-haul truck drivers, hotels/motels, etc. Lots of places are always open on Thanksgiving, AND Christmas. At least most Black Friday stores are closed on Christmas. The above mentioned is even open on Christmas.

When you get hired into retail, you expect to work on holidays.
When you get hired into the above mentioned, you KNOW you're going to work holidays.

The senior employees usually rotate who's working what days. (Work Thanksgiving, be off Christmas. Work This Thanksgiving, be off next Thanksgiving, etc.)

If you don't like the hours, don't go out. It's just one less person to be in the way and leaves more product for the rest of us who will be out.
Obviously people DO like the hours, because there were more people out last year (at the earlier times) than I have EVER seen on Black Friday in my history of BF shopping.

Sorry, caught me in an 'off' mood. This wasn't directed at anyone.

I need beer.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

ikey2
BFads Tin Man

Postby ikey2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:18 pm

teknoge3k wrote:Regardless of the hours, most employees will only work a half shift (usually 4hrs). Even if they work their entire shift, it's only an 8hr shift for most employees. If they go in at 6, they will get off at either 10a or 2p, depending on how many hours they work. 2p will get off at 6p or 10p. It's not like they are there that whole entire time.

Plus like has been mentioned on many other threads, why get mad because KMart is open? Kmart has been open all day on Thanksgiving for years!

Hospitals, Public Safety (Police/Fire/Rescue), Water companies, electric companies, movie theaters, convenience stores, call centers, 24x7 restaurants (Denny's, IHop), truck stops, long-haul truck drivers, hotels/motels, etc. Lots of places are always open on Thanksgiving, AND Christmas. At least most Black Friday stores are closed on Christmas. The above mentioned is even open on Christmas.

When you get hired into the above mentioned, you KNOW you're going to work holidays.

The senior employees usually rotate who's working what days. (Work Thanksgiving, be off Christmas. Work This Thanksgiving, be off next Thanksgiving, etc.)

If you don't like the hours, don't go out. It's just one less person to be in the way and leaves more product for the rest of us who will be out.
Obviously people DO like the hours, because there were more people out last year (at the earlier times) than I have EVER seen on Black Friday in my history of BF shopping.

I need beer.

No harm glad that lots of people still see the truth like you and filter out all the lame people that cry about anything now a days.
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:24 pm

I spent a lot of holidays over seas, serving our country. just glad to be home intact.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:54 pm

teknoge3k wrote:Regardless of the hours, most employees will only work a half shift (usually 4hrs). Even if they work their entire shift, it's only an 8hr shift for most employees. If they go in at 6, they will get off at either 10a or 2p, depending on how many hours they work. 2p will get off at 6p or 10p. It's not like they are there that whole entire time.

I need beer.

pdavis
Black Friday Pro

Postby pdavis » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:45 pm

I need beer.

I agree. Mom worked as a 411 information operator for years. She was scheduled many holidays. Sometimes the "kids" at the job would switch schedules with her so that she could spend the day with the family, but once in a while she had to work a holiday. Working retail, you know what to expect, especially when you get a job at a store that has been open on Thanksgiving for YEARS!
I'm addicted!

BFriGirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFriGirl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:47 pm

lwmjr wrote:I spent a lot of holidays over seas, serving our country. just glad to be home intact.

BF nut in training!

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:02 pm

lwmjr wrote:I spent a lot of holidays over seas, serving our country. just glad to be home intact.

That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Return to “Rants and Raves”