Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Re: I am NOT participating in Dark Thursday shopping

Postby lwmjr » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:16 am

Shopper X wrote:A Bradlees "After Thanksgiving Sale" TV ad from 1995:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P96iwvFJAGU

Just eat Thanksgiving dinner like the family in the ad, and you'll be all set for this year's Thursday shopping hours.

Get the food packs, the astronauts use :lol:
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:52 pm

lwmjr wrote:
Shopper X wrote:A Bradlees "After Thanksgiving Sale" TV ad from 1995:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P96iwvFJAGU

Just eat Thanksgiving dinner like the family in the ad, and you'll be all set for this year's Thursday shopping hours.

Get the food packs, the astronauts use :lol:

LOL!!! That's hilarious!!! But uh... I don't think I'd want to be that extreme LOL!!

buynstuff4fun
Black Friday Pro

Postby buynstuff4fun » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:29 pm

I am a 20+ year veteran of Black Friday. Every year, I would look forward to being in line at 2 or 3am, ready for the big day. But, this year, I'm only shopping online. No amount of money is worth leaving my family mid-day to go stand in line. I think for those of us who are BF old timers, and remember the old days, it's a sad state of affairs.

Wouldn't it be cool if one of the large retailers did a marketing campaign that said they were holding out for Black Friday to support families!? I bet they would make a mint from people who wanted to support the store that stood against the tide. I know I would be there!

If the BF Thursday approach works for you - great. I know change is inevitable, but I miss the good 'ol days!

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:11 pm

buynstuff4fun wrote:I am a 20+ year veteran of Black Friday. Every year, I would look forward to being in line at 2 or 3am, ready for the big day. But, this year, I'm only shopping online. No amount of money is worth leaving my family mid-day to go stand in line. I think for those of us who are BF old timers, and remember the old days, it's a sad state of affairs.

Wouldn't it be cool if one of the large retailers did a marketing campaign that said they were holding out for Black Friday to support families!? I bet they would make a mint from people who wanted to support the store that stood against the tide. I know I would be there!

If the BF Thursday approach works for you - great. I know change is inevitable, but I miss the good 'ol days!

I am really old school, T Day is Football, eating, and napping :lol: I thought getting up at 4 for a 5 O'clock opening at Sears was crazy. Like it or not, times are changing. As of now, My first stop will be Friday morning when Home Depot opens. If people want to stand in line for hours and even days, what can I say. except they be craaaazzzy :lol:
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

buynstuff4fun
Black Friday Pro

Postby buynstuff4fun » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:04 pm

I hear you! The only store I am going to is Fred Meyer (I am located in the Northwest US). They are opening at 5am on Friday, and I'm supporting the fact that they haven't turned to the dark side :lol: Otherwise, it's all online for me.

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:49 pm

Is that what 1995 looked like? I remember 1995 more clearer than that lol :mrgreen:

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:12 pm

I predict that next year most stores will be closed on Thanksgiving, including ones that will be open that day this year. Instead, what will happen is that Black Friday sales will start on Wednesday (or possibly Tuesday, or possibly the weekend before).

stacykay4
Black Friday Pro

Postby stacykay4 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:14 pm

Halloween maybe??? lol

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:17 am

Shopper X wrote:I predict that next year most stores will be closed on Thanksgiving, including ones that will be open that day this year. Instead, what will happen is that Black Friday sales will start on Wednesday (or possibly Tuesday, or possibly the weekend before).

I disagree.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:14 am

Shopper X wrote:I predict that next year most stores will be closed on Thanksgiving, including ones that will be open that day this year. Instead, what will happen is that Black Friday sales will start on Wednesday (or possibly Tuesday, or possibly the weekend before).

That kinda already happened this year. Some of the things that I wanted to get; my must haves, I have already gotten with these pre bf deals. I think more and more stores will go that route; cater to those who don't want to go out in the cold, or whine about the times and then leave the real hunt to the die hard bf shoppers on bf. Win win for everyone!

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:39 pm

The sales became like a tangled mess a week before BF. Whereas in previous years, it was very structured in that you had Holiday sales that ended right before Black Friday sales, Walmart opened a Pre-BF sale a week early. All the other stores quickly followed suit to compete. By Tuesday and Wednesday, I couldn't tell if the sale price was a Holiday sale, a Pre-Black Friday sale, an online Sale or a Early Black Friday price.

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:20 pm

I'm not sure. I am interested in seeing the sales numbers, but judging by the crowds, I think the evening of T-Day store openings were successful.

harleygirl6363
Black Friday Pro

Postby harleygirl6363 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Kaelha wrote:I'm not sure. I am interested in seeing the sales numbers, but judging by the crowds, I think the evening of T-Day store openings were successful.

I think they were as well my walmart when i got there at 6:15 there was no where to park in front, back, side walks, medical centers across from the walmrt, the sonic it was PACKED it was horrible

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:19 pm

harleygirl6363 wrote:
Kaelha wrote:I'm not sure. I am interested in seeing the sales numbers, but judging by the crowds, I think the evening of T-Day store openings were successful.

I think they were as well my walmart when i got there at 6:15 there was no where to park in front, back, side walks, medical centers across from the walmrt, the sonic it was PACKED it was horrible

The Wal Mart we went to is on the northside of town well away from all the other big stores. I always go there every year. We arrived about 4:45pm, and the store was already really really busy. It's been really busy before but I've never seen that many people there before.

Sadly, I do think this is the 'death' of Black Friday. They should just call it the Thanksgiving Day sales.

Return to “Rants and Raves”