I am NOT participating in Dark Thursday shopping

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

ikey2
BFads Tin Man

Re: I am NOT participating in Dark Thursday shopping

Postby ikey2 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:43 am

bfaddict wrote:mcdonalds isn't open on thanksgiving?? wow... i seriously did not know that lol

Don't think i have ever seen any McDonald's closed on Thanksgiving since what the 80's.
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:59 am

the mcdonalds thing must be regional, cause when I lived on the east coast it wasnt a big deal, but around here they are not open. not till 6 am friday, and that goes for damn near every single rest/fast food joint. IHOP and Waffle house are it till after 6.
Pizza hut is open from like 3-10 thurs here....
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

BFriGirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFriGirl » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:21 am

steffj89 wrote:the mcdonalds thing must be regional, cause when I lived on the east coast it wasnt a big deal, but around here they are not open. not till 6 am friday, and that goes for damn near every single rest/fast food joint. IHOP and Waffle house are it till after 6.

The Mcdonalds on Douglas in MWC is usually open. There is also a restaurant, somewhere around here, that is famous for serving Thanksgiving dinner but I don't remember where. All the Chinese restaurants usually stay open too. :D Other than that I don't know because I usually don't get hungry after tday dinner.
BF nut in training!

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:02 pm

If McDonald's closes... There will be blood

JrdnJstn
Black Friday Pro

Postby JrdnJstn » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:45 am

drinkgreen wrote:
jediknight wrote:When I spoke to employees they said there were big lulls in the action from when the store opened until the next "deal time"

BIG lulls. We hit TRU last year at around 3am. There was hardly anyone there and we got everything we wanted. Its exciting for the first few hours I'm sure but they spend all the down time cleaning and restocking for the next wave, which is usually early Friday morning.

I work in retail and all Black Friday items usually come on pallets of just that items, most stores will just park the pallet out somewhere...few do get stocked but some do. I bet they do more cleaning up and returning things people decided not to get and just tidying up. Waiting and hoping for another mass crowd.

The store I work at lost money last year because we decided to open on Black Friday at 4am. Most people went home and to sleep after being up since maybe 9pm the previous night. Makes it better for some because they get what they want with no lines :D
The biggest lie I tell myself is... "I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it."

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:42 pm

i nearly LOL'd at the best buy announcement.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:03 pm

bfaddict wrote:i nearly LOL'd at the best buy announcement.

:lol: I'll do it for you :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

happyfan
Black Friday Pro

Postby happyfan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:03 pm

If WM does indeed go for the 5 p.m. start time (as mentioned by another poster in another thread), I'm out. I could care less about the BB debacle as there isn't a BB around for 60+ miles. But 5 p.m. is creeping to close to comfort for me. I may wonder out later around 7 or 8 to browse the scraps left over but there is nothing I need so badly as to interrupt my holiday for. I can swing by GameStop at midnight to get Assassins Creed for $40 and other games on my shopping list. But I may try this whole new fangled thing called "online ordering". Heard good things about it.

Although I will be partaking in the Lowe's early morning sale because I'll probably be out that way any ways.

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:17 am

happyfan wrote:If WM does indeed go for the 5 p.m. start time (as mentioned by another poster in another thread), I'm out. I could care less about the BB debacle as there isn't a BB around for 60+ miles. But 5 p.m. is creeping to close to comfort for me. I may wonder out later around 7 or 8 to browse the scraps left over but there is nothing I need so badly as to interrupt my holiday for. I can swing by GameStop at midnight to get Assassins Creed for $40 and other games on my shopping list. But I may try this whole new fangled thing called "online ordering". Heard good things about it.

Although I will be partaking in the Lowe's early morning sale because I'll probably be out that way any ways.

I agree...but most retailers would love to be open all day on Thanksgiving I am sure...however, online shopping should not be overlooked at all this year. With all these stores trying to get the one up on each other for the betterment of the shopper, Amazon could choose to match all the doorbusters ( I know they normally match but I think it depends on how deep the prices seem to go).

What could be seen as a new Dark Thursday could bring about an even stronger surge in online sales.

HoundAbound
Black Friday Pro

Postby HoundAbound » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:51 am

:lol: I'll be interested to see how many peeps who have stuffed themselves silly on rich foods at noonish blow chunks upon running around frantic on an early release BB T-Day evening...BB may change their earlybird minds when they see their floors and LCDs covered in previously chewed turkey and stuffing! :shock:

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:26 pm

HoundAbound wrote::lol: I'll be interested to see how many peeps who have stuffed themselves silly on rich foods at noonish blow chunks upon running around frantic on an early release BB T-Day evening...BB may change their earlybird minds when they see their floors and LCDs covered in previously chewed turkey and stuffing! :shock:

Don't forget the cranberry sauce to make it look more like a crime scene.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:43 pm

sportymonkey wrote:
HoundAbound wrote::lol: I'll be interested to see how many peeps who have stuffed themselves silly on rich foods at noonish blow chunks upon running around frantic on an early release BB T-Day evening...BB may change their earlybird minds when they see their floors and LCDs covered in previously chewed turkey and stuffing! :shock:

Don't forget the cranberry sauce to make it look more like a crime scene.

:lol:
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

shiftyjedi
Black Friday Pro

Postby shiftyjedi » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:40 am

steffj89 wrote:the mcdonalds thing must be regional, cause when I lived on the east coast it wasnt a big deal, but around here they are not open. not till 6 am friday, and that goes for damn near every single rest/fast food joint. IHOP and Waffle house are it till after 6.

It's not a regional thing. McDonald's have a lot of franchisee locations. Their corporate locations might be closed, but they let the Franchisee choose. It might also be that all are suppose to be open, but a franchisee can chose to be closed. Last year, the McD's next to WM (a Rock n' Roll McDonald's) that my Mom and I stopped at was open and BUSY! If I was an owner, I'd offer double time just for working those six to seven hours.
2018 Video Game Comparison Spreadsheet Link (this compares video game item in a grid format)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IrC66il_gdV2fjT4CSwmG3v9zHPuwt_wkBcPNsfUXH8/edit?usp=sharing

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:10 am

I don't like the store hours, and wish they'd push them back to the 8-10pm times no earlier. I know they want to change the 'crowd' and get more people to spend $$, but they need to have a line that won't be crossed. What was so wrong with 4-6am store opening times? Were there really so few people out shopping? geesh lol

As for restaurants, I honestly can't remember what is open/closed here. I do know years ago nothing was open until about 6am, I think Waffle House was the only thing I saw open.

I know some don't take the tradition seriously. Usually it's just my hubby, kids and I, and my BIL/his family come over in the evening to eat/visit.
This year with family planning to come in, it makes shopping complicated. I guess for those that get to see your families regularly, etc. it's not a big deal. I see my family maybe 3-4x a year. So with having my brother/his family and possibly my dad/step mom coming here, it's a huge deal to spend time with them. I've seen my brother 2x this year, and my dad 1x.

I also know I absolutely have to depend on the BF sales for my kids and for things we need in our home. Like the WM bath towels. Most of our towels got ruined when trying to clean up water during a major water leak in the house in Sept. I've been holding off replacing them until BF.
My kids plan on getting things with $$ they earned, so I want the best deals they can get to make their $$ go further. Then Christmas for the kids & my oldest has a birthday coming up.

I'm at the point I really wish BF was on BF this year. Would make life so much easier.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:07 am

A Bradlees "After Thanksgiving Sale" TV ad from 1995:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P96iwvFJAGU

Just eat Thanksgiving dinner like the family in the ad, and you'll be all set for this year's Thursday shopping hours.

Return to “Rants and Raves”