I am NOT participating in Dark Thursday shopping

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

chaddenise
Black Friday Pro

Re: I am NOT participating in Dark Thursday shopping

Postby chaddenise » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:57 pm

I feel sorry for the workers that have to work earlier then the sale start times as they deserve to have family time on thanksgiving day....hold off to Friday so everyone gets to celebrate with family!

ikey2
BFads Tin Man

Postby ikey2 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:12 pm

chaddenise wrote:I feel sorry for the workers that have to work earlier then the sale start times as they deserve to have family time on thanksgiving day....hold off to Friday so everyone gets to celebrate with family!

Not everyone has families and some might not actually do something on Thursday. Now at the end of the day it will never change back when its is obvious more people took advantage of these hours. Like has been said over and again why is it people that work at retail that people feel sorry for what about all the other people and job that don't close. Factory workers, Call Centers, Movie store, Theaters, Broadway shows, and the plethora of other jobs
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:11 pm

The day of everything being closed on Thanksgiving and everyone being off is in the history books. Just like some people think everything should be closed on Sundays.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:01 pm

Giving McDonald's props for saying no to opening on t day. Corporate pressured franchise owners to turn on the lights and many in my area said no. A couple of years ago the local paper was in the machine outside McD's. I was there T day morning ding my thing for two minutes tops and half a dozen coffee of b fast seekers drove around the closed restaurant.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Last year every fast food chain was closed, it sucked because I was hungry while waiting on Walmart sales to start. I ended up going to Sheetz and getting something from MTO.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:49 pm

teknoge3k wrote:Last year every fast food chain was closed, it sucked because I was hungry while waiting on Walmart sales to start. I ended up going to Sheetz and getting something from MTO.

IHOP is our go-to, although its been crowded lately with the earlier start times.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:54 pm

teknoge3k wrote:Last year every fast food chain was closed, it sucked because I was hungry while waiting on Walmart sales to start. I ended up going to Sheetz and getting something from MTO.

You don't keep a sandwich in your pocket for emergencies :shock:
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

nikkigirl01
Black Friday Pro

Postby nikkigirl01 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:19 am

This is actually a concern for me this year and I am doing my rough plan with stops at QT/other food type places. My partner will be shopping with me this year and while I can "gogogo" without food, she is a diabetic and needs frequent snacks to keep her blood sugar well managed.

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:02 pm

Growing up in Wisconsin, you don't celebrate Thanksgiving because most of the family members are out deer hunting. Thanksgiving has never been a big deal to me. Actually my husband and I now go on vacation the week of Thanksgiving. I have done Black Friday in Georgia and online in Key West. This year it will be Charlotte NC. Since most things are closed on Thanksgiving and the Packer game will only take up 4 hours, I will most likely go shopping - and hope that someone is open so I can get food!! We are driving so I can easily buy stuff and bring it home... plus it will be much warmer than here in MN!

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:58 pm

For those without food, I suggest either pack some left overs with a cooler or grill (depending on if you are camping out) or maybe just some dry snacks to tide you over. They sometimes do the trick.

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:00 pm

packers wrote:Growing up in Wisconsin, you don't celebrate Thanksgiving because most of the family members are out deer hunting. Thanksgiving has never been a big deal to me. Actually my husband and I now go on vacation the week of Thanksgiving. I have done Black Friday in Georgia and online in Key West. This year it will be Charlotte NC. Since most things are closed on Thanksgiving and the Packer game will only take up 4 hours, I will most likely go shopping - and hope that someone is open so I can get food!! We are driving so I can easily buy stuff and bring it home... plus it will be much warmer than here in MN!

Sorry for the double post, but that is really interesting depending on what side of the country you are in. That's pretty neat you guys go on vacation...and at least you get to run around in warmer climates now :P

iamkristen
Black Friday Pro

Postby iamkristen » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:05 pm

rosie0815 wrote:Stores can not open Thanksgiving day in Massachusetts, well atleast not without a fine and so they don't really.....If I do any shopping on Thanksgiving its at CVS or Walgreens cause they can be open on Thanksgiving because they are Pharmacy and so hey have their loophole....LOL...any other shopping on Thanksgiving is online for me....But I will be out at the stroke of midnight....!!!!

That's really interesting! Did not realize that! If you don't mind me asking, which part of Massachusetts are you in? I'm slightly considering applying for a position in the Boston area. However, I've been in SC for the past 3.5 years, so it would be a major change for me! I actually don't know much about the state at all.... except that now I know stores cannot be open on Thanksgiving! :)

ANGWife
Black Friday Pro

Postby ANGWife » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:00 am

Most people around here don't want to shop on Thanksgiving because of the retail workers that are forced to work and can't be with their families. We are a military family and have had many holidays without my husband. Unfortunately it's the nature of some jobs.

That said, I'm ok with some 9pm-Friday shopping cause my kids are in bed by then.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:00 pm

mcdonalds isn't open on thanksgiving?? wow... i seriously did not know that lol

nikkigirl01
Black Friday Pro

Postby nikkigirl01 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:36 am

bfaddict wrote:mcdonalds isn't open on thanksgiving?? wow... i seriously did not know that lol

They are open here, but without SERIOUS modifications that food is HORRID for a diabetic. I will be bring a small cooler for at least the first part of our shopping.

Return to “Rants and Raves”