I am NOT participating in Dark Thursday shopping

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

I am NOT participating in Dark Thursday shopping

Postby drinkgreen » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:46 am

I have not been happy with the start times of Black Friday creeping into Thanksgiving night, but I have still got out there to bust doors at 10pm. I've noticed over the past couple of years that 1) there is a big lull that's been created between the door busting at 10pm and the main Black Friday crowds arriving at 7am.

Around the time of 1am when all the college kids and grandmothers who don't normally shop this late have gone home, the stores are much easier to get in and out of, and the stores have been RESTOCKING door busters for the 7am crowds. Twice I have gotten an item that was SOLD OUT at 11pm but was in stock at 5am. Hmm, you mean I didn't have to miss Thanksgiving dinner and wait in a long line for 12 hours to get this item?

Now the stores are going to open even earlier. And this year, I'm saying NO to Dark Thursday Shopping.

I will be out there with everyone else from 11pm-8am, but I'm not going to jump through hoops for the retail giants especially when they restock the door busters.

Keep Black Friday on FRIDAY! :mrgreen:

ikey2
BFads Tin Man

Re: I am NOT participating in Dark Thursday shopping

Postby ikey2 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:51 am

drinkgreen wrote:I have not been happy with the start times of Black Friday creeping into Thanksgiving night, but I have still got out there to bust doors at 10pm. I've noticed over the past couple of years that 1) there is a big lull that's been created between the door busting at 10pm and the main Black Friday crowds arriving at 7am.

Around the time of 1am when all the college kids and grandmothers who don't normally shop this late have gone home, the stores are much easier to get in and out of, and the stores have been RESTOCKING door busters for the 7am crowds. Twice I have gotten an item that was SOLD OUT at 11pm but was in stock at 5am. Hmm, you mean I didn't have to miss Thanksgiving dinner and wait in a long line for 12 hours to get this item?

Now the stores are going to open even earlier. And this year, I'm saying NO to Dark Thursday Shopping.

I will be out there with everyone else from 11pm-8am, but I'm not going to jump through hoops for the retail giants especially when they restock the door busters.

Keep Black Friday on FRIDAY! :mrgreen:

Not to rude or anything but you state " I'm saying NO to Dark Thursday Shopping" But in the next statement you contradict adn say you will be shopping from 11 pm which is still Thursday. So not really sure i understand the reason for the post if your just going to shop on Thursday?

Again not picking a fight or being rude.
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Also, I don't know about where you're at, but college students shop late here. Families tend to go home a little earlier as do the grandparents that you noted. Of course, all bets are off on the weekends.

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:57 am

Not to rude or anything but you state " I'm saying NO to Dark Thursday Shopping" But in the next statement you contradict adn say you will be shopping from 11 pm which is still Thursday. So not really sure i understand the reason for the post if your just going to shop on Thursday?

Again not picking a fight or being rude.

If a store opens at midnight, I will be in line at 11pm. What I meant was that I won't be actually shopping on Thursday, or waiting in lines on Thursday that cause me to miss my Thanksgiving, which is over by 8pm usually.

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:01 am

guitarist19862005 wrote:Also, I don't know about where you're at, but college students shop late here. Families tend to go home a little earlier as do the grandparents that you noted. Of course, all bets are off on the weekends.

I would think so too. However, in the years before all the Dark Thursday sale times, my wife and I would have a tradition where we would go to an IHOP to drink coffee and eat breakfast at 2am before charging into a 4am sale. Usually the only people there are late night delivery drivers and other Black friday shoppers, which were maybe a handful of Soccer Moms and 1 table of college kids.

I think it was two years ago, we went to the same IHOP and it was PACKED with kids of all ages, grandparents, and college kids. No seating available. That year was probably our worst Black Friday.

PokeMeg
Black Friday Pro

Postby PokeMeg » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:33 am

I'm not a fan of the Thursday sales either--but what is with the grandma and college kid hate??

Everybody has a right to go out shopping--regardless if it ruins your plans or not.
"Every flight begins with a fall", the crow said. "Look down."

rosie0815
Black Friday Pro

Postby rosie0815 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:35 am

Stores can not open Thanksgiving day in Massachusetts, well atleast not without a fine and so they don't really.....If I do any shopping on Thanksgiving its at CVS or Walgreens cause they can be open on Thanksgiving because they are Pharmacy and so hey have their loophole....LOL...any other shopping on Thanksgiving is online for me....But I will be out at the stroke of midnight....!!!!

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:04 am

PokeMeg wrote:I'm not a fan of the Thursday sales either--but what is with the grandma and college kid hate??

Everybody has a right to go out shopping--regardless if it ruins your plans or not.

Don't read too much into my "dislike" of the people. It's not the people really, just the loss of tradition.

Black Friday 7am and after has always been for everyone, but Black Friday 12am-6am was for those who were ready for the sacrifice. We were the crazy, elite ones but we got the best deals.

It's kind of like here on the boards. There are people who only come on here about a week or so before BF and then disappear after for a whole year. But those of us "crazies" check in and post throughout the year.

Not sure if I'm painting a good picture. Just know that I don't hate the people, just don't like the new changes.

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:09 am

I don't like the changes either. I was very frustrated about it at first and I still don't like, but realize I can't change it.

I will continue with my own routine and if I miss out on something...so be it.

rosie0815
Black Friday Pro

Postby rosie0815 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:25 am

I think if Thanksgiving is important to you then it will remain that way....I have a very scheduled thanksgiving of which I include Black Friday sales ads into it...but I also include my children into that making Christmas lists with the ads....Everything is doable and when its not anymore then you will make do with what you can control.....

PokeMeg
Black Friday Pro

Postby PokeMeg » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:07 pm

drinkgreen wrote:
PokeMeg wrote:I'm not a fan of the Thursday sales either--but what is with the grandma and college kid hate??

Don't read too much into my "dislike" of the people. It's not the people really, just the loss of tradition.

Black Friday 7am and after has always been for everyone, but Black Friday 12am-6am was for those who were ready for the sacrifice. We were the crazy, elite ones but we got the best deals.

It's kind of like here on the boards. There are people who only come on here about a week or so before BF and then disappear after for a whole year. But those of us "crazies" check in and post throughout the year.

Not sure if I'm painting a good picture. Just know that I don't hate the people, just don't like the new changes.
I can understand. I remember going as a young girl with my Mom and it only being a handful of people. Now it's a thing that almost every family does...
"Every flight begins with a fall", the crow said. "Look down."

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:47 pm

My wife and I do not celebrate Thanksgiving and BF is a day we splurge on ourselves, so it's a day that we look forward to all year. When Walmart started their sale at 8pm last year, I was in the store by 4:30, knew where everything was, and was ready to go! Everyone started getting stuff around 7:15, and checked out around 7:30-7:45. I was out of the store with my truck loaded before 8pm. I personally LOVE the earlier start times!!!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:07 pm

My wife and I scope out the stores throughout November, coming up with a battle plan. We then visit the day before Thanksgiving to see if and where they have moved items we want. (BTW, we were at Kohl's late on Thanksgiving Eve two years ago that they started putting out the Black Friday prices while we were still there. We got most of our BF Kohl's list on Wednesday. Score!)

As a personal rule we don't "doorbust" Walmart anyway. It's too crazy, usually unorganized, and here locally, they have plenty of doorbusters still available at 6am and later.

Jealys777
Black Friday Pro

Postby Jealys777 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:27 am

It has actually made me shop online last 2 years & I think my hubby likes that much better :)

raymacfla
Black Friday Pro

Postby raymacfla » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:31 pm

Jealys777 wrote:It has actually made me shop online last 2 years & I think my hubby likes that much better :)

If that works for you, great! People are upset with a dead issue now. It is the people who actually want to shop during this time that are to blame.
they drive the market. Give it another year or two to sink in and this will be a long forgotten issue.

Return to “Rants and Raves”