my package got stolen

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Re: my package got stolen

Postby lwmjr » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:23 pm

jeanerz13 wrote:Vols44 -- reading this thread it looks like you're a postal worker... so... my turn to ask a question! Do the flat rate envelopes go through the same process as normal mail envelopes? I'm mostly wondering if it's going to get stamped (so that an item would get smushed in the process). I have something to send that isn't fragile, but it could get kinda smushed out of shape. I was planning to fill the inside with something and wrap stuff around it to help hold the shape.. but I was wondering if that is gonna be good enough. Maybe I'll have to use a box instead... hmm...

There are the padded mailing envelopes you can buy, like the ones Amazon, and others, use to send small parts in
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:42 pm

lwmjr wrote:
jeanerz13 wrote:Vols44 -- reading this thread it looks like you're a postal worker... so... my turn to ask a question! Do the flat rate envelopes go through the same process as normal mail envelopes? I'm mostly wondering if it's going to get stamped (so that an item would get smushed in the process). I have something to send that isn't fragile, but it could get kinda smushed out of shape. I was planning to fill the inside with something and wrap stuff around it to help hold the shape.. but I was wondering if that is gonna be good enough. Maybe I'll have to use a box instead... hmm...

There are the padded mailing envelopes you can buy, like the ones Amazon, and others, use to send small parts in

Thought about those, but usually I see them in packs of 10 or something and I only want one. I'll have to check walmart though.

HanShotFirst
Black Friday Newbie

Postby HanShotFirst » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:48 pm

What an informative thread.

Vols44, or anyone else, I need to send a package to Jordan. Usually the package goes to the UK every year and have never had an issue with it's arrival and clearing customs. The postal worker last year told me I could use fairly generic terms such as "Stationary" for a calendar, notepad, and greeting cards, but as I said last year the package went to the UK. Just wondering if I needed to be more specific on the customs form for a package going to Jordan. My friend tells me the post is unreliable there anyway so I've been dragging my feet on sending it hoping she would change her plans and head home to the UK for the holidays but doesn't seem like she is. At this rate, it will be Valentine's Day before she gets her Christmas gifts.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:30 pm

if you are shipping something that needs to keep a shape, i would send it in a box. an envelope can get smooshed lots of ways, like being delivered around in the carrier's bag/cart/tub, whatever they are using to haul their mail around in.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:30 pm

Because of the volume of mail increased significantly in November, Priority mail is processed before First class. Flats of either kind one half inch or less are machined if it has a printed label or metering strip. Stamped and all other flats are handled manually.

To directly answer your question I would look at padded envelopes at office supply stores if your item s sturdy. Non machined flats are handled the same as parcels which mean it could end up under a a seventy pound parcel.

I would use a box twice the size of the item and immobilize it with bubble wrap surrounded by heavy butcher type paper so it won't move around inside the box. In sufficiently packed parcels get smashed edges during shipment. The corners and taped seems are the weak points of most parcels.

As far as postage, the weight costs more than the size so your primary concern should be towards the safety of the item instead of the size of the box, or flat. Cylinders seem to be the best way of sending something. USPS has something called a small tube which is an excellent way to ship. Many customers have cut the tube to size and I can't remember ever seeing a damaged one for delivery. Here is a link: https://store.usps.com/store/browse/usp ... iorityMail

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:41 pm

HanShotFirst wrote:What an informative thread.

Vols44, or anyone else, I need to send a package to Jordan. Usually the package goes to the UK every year and have never had an issue with it's arrival and clearing customs. The postal worker last year told me I could use fairly generic terms such as "Stationary" for a calendar, notepad, and greeting cards, but as I said last year the package went to the UK. Just wondering if I needed to be more specific on the customs form for a package going to Jordan. My friend tells me the post is unreliable there anyway so I've been dragging my feet on sending it hoping she would change her plans and head home to the UK for the holidays but doesn't seem like she is. At this rate, it will be Valentine's Day before she gets her Christmas gifts.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I would prepare PS Form 2976 and pay for postage online to print a form with a barcode on it. If this ins't possible prepare the 2976 and take it to a USPS window or contract station. It's important that no hand written customs forms are prepared since they will no longer be accepted. Priority Mail International to Jordan is price group 8. Here is a link with lots of mailing information: http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/il_011.htm

Because of their infrequent use any postal outlet will have plenty of international envelopes and boxes on hand. If you need ten they should arrive on your doorstep within three days: https://store.usps.com/store/browse/sub ... ernational

Happy shipping.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:22 pm

jeanerz13 wrote:
lwmjr wrote:

Thought about those, but usually I see them in packs of 10 or something and I only want one. I'll have to check walmart though.

These are very handy when sending multiple items over time.

Jeanerz13, I saw your PM and responding accordingly.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:39 am

Well, I'm hoping the only 2 packages I am expecting show up.
One was supposed to be here the 13th. Something I ordered from a friend. It shows it was received, and dispatched to sorting at her post office, but that's it. She called yesterday to complain, so we hope they find it. It's some home made goats milk soap that she makes, I have been wanting to try it as I hear such good things about it, plus give some as part of Christmas gifts. It's a special scent, and she doesn't have anymore since it's a holiday scent :(

I ordered a few things from Cafepress, it said estimated delivery was the 16th. It was shipped on the 11th I believe, so hopefully it comes today. It's their stocking stuffers, so I hope they get here soon so I don't have to worry about not getting those.
Both were sent USPS. The Cafepress order gave a tracking option, but when you click on it, it just brings up a blank page.
I did contact them about it as a precaution...

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:51 am

USPS is being REAL funky this year. priority 2-day mail is taking 4-5 days.... first class tracking isn't updating correctly..... I dont remember things being this 'off' last year.
i'm shipping out a bunch of orders today. all priority 2-day mail (so says the label) and i'm just praying they all get to their destinations by Christmas since I believe they are all orders for xmas gifts.
Last year I remember shipping stuff on the 20th and not having to worry at all. This year I guaranteed shipping by the 19th but even that was making me nervous so I took a day off from work yesterday so i could get all of my orders done and shipped out today.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:22 pm

I hear everyone about parcel fretting. The explosion in the numbers of items from last year is stunning. Our local processing facility asked that First Class be separated from Priority for the first time in years. Barcoded items get the most attention. The sheer numbers should delay 2-3 day Priority Mail by a day for the rest of the month. Consolidated facilities are feeling the heat as adjustments were made in the summer when the volume was light.

I'd keep pounding the local offices on where and why shipments have stagnated. The more they hear from customers the more they'll act to satisfy.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:23 pm

My order from Cafepress finally did come, although I am not completely happy with the items, but..my girls will enjoy them anyway.

The other order is apparently lost :( My friend is going to refund my $$ as she is going to put in an insurance claim.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:29 pm

azerigold wrote:My order from Cafepress finally did come, although I am not completely happy with the items, but..my girls will enjoy them anyway.

The other order is apparently lost :( My friend is going to refund my $$ as she is going to put in an insurance claim.

I'd like to know what the local claims office said. If it's been scanned as accepted or arrived at unit they're liable and have to find the item.

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:05 am

JrdnJstn wrote:So I got my package yesterday. I followed the tracking also. This time UPS sent it out and the guy knocked on my door, as soon as he knocked I went and got it.

I sat down at my computer which is next to a window that faces the street so I can hear cars if they are parked in front of my place. Well i heard a car and it was not going anywhere so i got up and went outside and he took off. I don't know if he was maybe following the UPS guy or what but he came maybe 2min after UPS knocked on my door. I'm thinking this guy was following UPS truck and then waited for UPS truck to leave and then pull up to my walkway and was going to get out and snatch the package

I never thought of that one! I guess that would be a good scam for them though.

My UPS and USPS always hit the doorbell and keep running. That is fine. It just alerts me. I was mailed a turkey coupon from my work and it never arrived. I have received everything else from them but this. Oh well I guess. Things happen.
It just isn't Black Friday when it is Thursday.......

inthedark
Black Friday Pro

Postby inthedark » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:33 am

My UPS and USPS always hit the doorbell and keep running.

I dont even get a knock, package comes while I am home and I dont know it until I go to leave and its blocking me from opening the screen door.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:44 am

Vols44 wrote:
azerigold wrote:My order from Cafepress finally did come, although I am not completely happy with the items, but..my girls will enjoy them anyway.

I'd like to know what the local claims office said. If it's been scanned as accepted or arrived at unit they're liable and have to find the item.

Yeah it was accepted, I'll copy/paste the info:

Postal Product:
Priority Mail 2-Day™

Features:

$50 insurance included

USPS Tracking™

Date & Time

Status of Item

December 10, 2013 , 5:27 pm

Dispatched to Sort Facility .

SHELOCTA, PA 15774

December 10, 2013 , 4:49 pm