my package got stolen

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

User avatar
Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 1912
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:50 pm

Re: my package got stolen

Postby Sparkle2217 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:29 pm

bfaddict wrote:oh wow, that's crazy!!!
might not be a bad idea to see if you can contact your local UPS and alert them that you think people might be following their trucks so the drivers can be more aware.
not that they can sit with the packages until someone picks them up.. but if they're suspicious of someone they could maybe call the cops.



I agree. Maybe contact your local police department as well to let them know. Or call your local news station. Maybe they can make a little announcement about it.

User avatar
micknkids
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:42 am
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida

Re: my package got stolen

Postby micknkids » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:58 pm

JrdnJstn wrote:So I got my package yesterday. I followed the tracking also. This time UPS sent it out and the guy knocked on my door, as soon as he knocked I went and got it.

I sat down at my computer which is next to a window that faces the street so I can hear cars if they are parked in front of my place. Well i heard a car and it was not going anywhere so i got up and went outside and he took off. I don't know if he was maybe following the UPS guy or what but he came maybe 2min after UPS knocked on my door. I'm thinking this guy was following UPS truck and then waited for UPS truck to leave and then pull up to my walkway and was going to get out and snatch the package


:shock:

Maybe get one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8910W-Ne ... rds=Foscam

I'd wait till they go down in price though. I've seen them go for $49.99, next time they drop that low we're buying two.

User avatar
Kaelha
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 1029
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:30 pm

Re: my package got stolen

Postby Kaelha » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:58 pm

JrdnJstn wrote:So I got my package yesterday. I followed the tracking also. This time UPS sent it out and the guy knocked on my door, as soon as he knocked I went and got it.

I sat down at my computer which is next to a window that faces the street so I can hear cars if they are parked in front of my place. Well i heard a car and it was not going anywhere so i got up and went outside and he took off. I don't know if he was maybe following the UPS guy or what but he came maybe 2min after UPS knocked on my door. I'm thinking this guy was following UPS truck and then waited for UPS truck to leave and then pull up to my walkway and was going to get out and snatch the package


It happens a lot. You should report it.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... -packages/

happyfan
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:21 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: my package got stolen

Postby happyfan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:40 pm

shopmom30 wrote:I live in the country and have a lot of land and a long drive way off the road. Our guys tends to leave our packages in all kinds of places so I try to be home when I know something is coming. I was not to happy about our new laptops being left on the windsheild of my minivan! I know the dude didnt know what was in the boxes but geezzz. I have had packages on my car, put in plastic bags and hung from a tree in my driveway. Boxes sat in the same tree and placed in my barn. I had to hunt down a package one time that was placed in the seat of the lawn mower in my barn. It was a gift sent to me by my brother so I had no clue when it would be sent so it sat there for 2 days before I noticed it.

I am glad they replaced your package.


Been there and done that. It's sort of like hide and seek. They've hid them in bushes before, off a tree, under a truck (with a note on the windshield with the location, which I was lucky since I just jumped in, started it up, and was getting ready to back up when the note caught my eye), in the bed of truck previously mentioned, in the garage (that guy was a ninja....only way in is a door and it stays locked during the day...only thing I can figure is he wedged himself in through the window the best he could and slipped it onto the bench), in the basement (one guy just walked in, sit it on the table, and left....don't worry, I checked to make sure nothing was stolen....all beer and bacon accounted for!), and a package BALANCING ON A FENCEPOST THAT WAS "SECURED" THERE WITH PACKING TAPE (that was Fedex).
Now a days, like someone else said, I signed up for and use MyUPS and reroute it to the backdoor instead of the Oak tree. Can't see it from the road, driveway, or highway.

User avatar
Vols44
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 1323
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:14 pm

Re: my package got stolen

Postby Vols44 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:26 pm

Some crazy storied in this thread. I love unlocked storm doors. If it fits behind the door and isn't visible from the street or sidewalk is relatively secure. Knowing the neighborhood is the key. The P.O. doesn't want liability issues so nothing beats the ability to place a parcel in the receiving party's hands if they're home.

I've seen notices phoned, messaged or written by customers wanting to pick up their items at a local office.

The biggest no-no is leaving fruit (Harry and David et al). On a porch with freezing weather in the forecast. In wet weather conditions a wet parcel is an unhappy one.

User avatar
bfaddict
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 4808
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:19 pm
Contact:

Re: my package got stolen

Postby bfaddict » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:13 pm

i try to have as many shipments as possible sent to my work since there is always someone here and if it's coming via usps they either have to delivery it (if it's too big to fit in the mailbox) or it goes into the locked mailbox.

the only issue with this seems to be when i want to order expensive camera equipment. lensrental.com is great because i just had to verify my that my work address was actually me. but i ordered a new camera through cameta and the only way i could get them to ship to my office was putting my work address on my bank account. ummm yea, dont' think that's gonna fly! so i had to have it delivered to my house but thankfully once i found out it was from fedex i was able to reroute it to the nearest fedex store. but if i didn't have a fedex store near me i would have been pretty po'd.

User avatar
john.daggett
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 1388
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:15 am
Location: Branford, CT
Contact:

Re: my package got stolen

Postby john.daggett » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:45 pm

bfaddict wrote:i try to have as many shipments as possible sent to my work since there is always someone here and if it's coming via usps they either have to delivery it (if it's too big to fit in the mailbox) or it goes into the locked mailbox.

the only issue with this seems to be when i want to order expensive camera equipment. lensrental.com is great because i just had to verify my that my work address was actually me. but i ordered a new camera through cameta and the only way i could get them to ship to my office was putting my work address on my bank account. ummm yea, dont' think that's gonna fly! so i had to have it delivered to my house but thankfully once i found out it was from fedex i was able to reroute it to the nearest fedex store. but if i didn't have a fedex store near me i would have been pretty po'd.

I wish they would at least disguise the box. I love how they just ship things and it reads Expensive Crap Inside lol

User avatar
bfaddict
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 4808
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:19 pm
Contact:

Re: my package got stolen

Postby bfaddict » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:37 pm

john.daggett wrote:
bfaddict wrote:i try to have as many shipments as possible sent to my work since there is always someone here and if it's coming via usps they either have to delivery it (if it's too big to fit in the mailbox) or it goes into the locked mailbox.

the only issue with this seems to be when i want to order expensive camera equipment. lensrental.com is great because i just had to verify my that my work address was actually me. but i ordered a new camera through cameta and the only way i could get them to ship to my office was putting my work address on my bank account. ummm yea, dont' think that's gonna fly! so i had to have it delivered to my house but thankfully once i found out it was from fedex i was able to reroute it to the nearest fedex store. but if i didn't have a fedex store near me i would have been pretty po'd.

I wish they would at least disguise the box. I love how they just ship things and it reads Expensive Crap Inside lol


yea and in a small easily to grab and run box!
granted i think they needed signature but we all know they sometimes leave it without.

User avatar
Vols44
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 1323
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:14 pm

Re: my package got stolen

Postby Vols44 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:46 pm

I can see how it would seem easier to lift a UPC parcel since they're inn a neighborhood for a brief amount of time. The mail person is likely to walk loops of the same areas at least five times a week. I've noticed people, things and out of the ordinary situations in a moments notice. If my gut tells me something's wrong I won't hesitate to safeguard an item or person in need from another person, dog or weather. I'm not a narc and consider 99% of what happens non of my business, but crimes or attempted ones cross the line of restraint.

User avatar
Vols44
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 1323
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:14 pm

Re: my package got stolen

Postby Vols44 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:25 am

I'll cast out a line via this thread since it has a catchy title.

I'll put up a disclaimer up front and say while I work for USPS my statements and opinions are not as a spokesperson of the company and my words are not the policy of the company across the globe. Nor will I have anything to say about my employers competitors.

I am here to assist posters with any and all postal questions, especially with parcel deliveries. If I can't help you directly I will PM you public information on who can. Reading and understanding the 1736 page, 200mb pdf Domestic Mail Manual is a daunting exercise. :D

So flame, flail, flutter, fluster or fawn away at "United States Parcel Scanning".

User avatar
Kaelha
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 1029
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:30 pm

Re: my package got stolen

Postby Kaelha » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:34 am

Vols44 wrote:I'll cast out a line via this thread since it has a catchy title.

I'll put up a disclaimer up front and say while I work for USPS my statements and opinions are not as a spokesperson of the company and my words are not the policy of the company across the globe. Nor will I have anything to say about my employers competitors.

I am here to assist posters with any and all postal questions, especially with parcel deliveries. If I can't help you directly I will PM you public information on who can. Reading and understanding the 1736 page, 200mb pdf Domestic Mail Manual is a daunting exercise. :D

So flame, flail, flutter, fluster or fawn away at "United States Parcel Scanning".



Cool!

My complaint isn't about USPS, though we still get mail for our son Jack, who doesn't exists, my FIL, who has a different name and lives in Oregon, and once got a large bag of medication meant for an elderly lady with the same last name who lives 20 minutes away.

That said! Amazon contacted me last week stating that FedEx couldn't deliver the package I ordered to my address. First off, Our mailbox is clearly labeled and we live in the middle of nowhere. I called the number and the guy looked up my address and told me he had no idea why that pkg couldn't be delivered, after all, we live "in the middle of nowhere" he said. Maybe the driver was scared of the gravel road? Got a call from the local hub an hour later telling me the package was on the way. Packaged delivered 30 minutes later. The lady who delivered it was apologetic and told me she had a sub that day. So dumb sub got lost in the country and couldn't figure out our address. Doh.

We do have a storm door that we keep unlocked and have packages delivered. There is very little risk of theft here. Back in Oregon, the mailman would leave packages in the old car we had sitting in the driveway. UPS left them on the porch. Never had a package stolen, but once had our German shorthair puppy decide she hated Dusty Springfield and chewed up the entire collection after it was delivered by UPS. I was able to save one disc with "Son of Preacher Man" on it. Only one tooth mark in the center :lol: Same dog broke my thumb but that's another story and I still love the old girl.

User avatar
steffj89
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 4288
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:52 pm
Location: OK
Contact:

Re: my package got stolen

Postby steffj89 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:56 am

LMAO Kaelha

Our dogs apparently hate halloween costumes and can smell them thru the boxes. every time i have ever had them delivered the box and costume has been shredded ....
steff
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

User avatar
Kaelha
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 1029
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:30 pm

Re: my package got stolen

Postby Kaelha » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:01 pm

:lol:

..and the neighbors wonder why you're always dressed like zombies in shredded clothing.

User avatar
lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted
Posts: 12986
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Virginia, Norfolk area

Re: my package got stolen

Postby lwmjr » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:17 pm

Kaelha wrote::lol:

..and the neighbors wonder why you're always dressed like zombies in shredded clothing.

:lol: too funny
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

User avatar
Vols44
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 1323
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:14 pm

Re: my package got stolen

Postby Vols44 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:59 pm

Kaelha wrote:
Vols44 wrote:I'll cast out a line via this thread since it has a catchy title.

I'll put up a disclaimer up front and say while I work for USPS my statements and opinions are not as a spokesperson of the company and my words are not the policy of the company across the globe. Nor will I have anything to say about my employers competitors.

I am here to assist posters with any and all postal questions, especially with parcel deliveries. If I can't help you directly I will PM you public information on who can. Reading and understanding the 1736 page, 200mb pdf Domestic Mail Manual is a daunting exercise. :D

So flame, flail, flutter, fluster or fawn away at "United States Parcel Scanning".



Cool!



My complaint isn't about USPS, though we still get mail for our son Jack, who doesn't exists, my FIL, who has a different name and lives in Oregon, and once got a large bag of medication meant for an elderly lady with the same last name who lives 20 minutes away.

That said! Amazon contacted me last week stating that FedEx couldn't deliver the package I ordered to my address. First off, Our mailbox is clearly labeled and we live in the middle of nowhere. I called the number and the guy looked up my address and told me he had no idea why that pkg couldn't be delivered, after all, we live "in the middle of nowhere" he said. Maybe the driver was scared of the gravel road? Got a call from the local hub an hour later telling me the package was on the way. Packaged delivered 30 minutes later. The lady who delivered it was apologetic and told me she had a sub that day. So dumb sub got lost in the country and couldn't figure out our address. Doh.

We do have a storm door that we keep unlocked and have packages delivered. There is very little risk of theft here. Back in Oregon, the mailman would leave packages in the old car we had sitting in the driveway. UPS left them on the porch. Never had a package stolen, but once had our German shorthair puppy decide she hated Dusty Springfield and chewed up the entire collection after it was delivered by UPS. I was able to save one disc with "Son of Preacher Man" on it. Only one tooth mark in the center :lol: Same dog broke my thumb but that's another story and I still love the old girl.


Most Rural Regulars deliver on weekdays. Junior regulars have weekdays off and have to work Saturday. Just about every delivery office will honor a customer's request for specific placement of parcels. A special instruction card will be cased with the non letter mail, and accompany the delivery person six days a week.

My rule of thumb regarding parcels is if it can't be seen from the sidewalk/street it won't be stolen. Placement between a storm and front (side or back) door is considered a "secure" delivery when there is no answer at the door. I do count to fifteen if I don't see a garage door up, vehicle in the driveway or lights on in case it's an elderly person who can't get to the door quickly. In fact, a lot of elderly customers I don't know personally have notes about response time(s) and if their doorbell is functional or not.

Thanks for the story, I enjoy them all.


Return to “Rants and Raves”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest