We know "Cyber Monday" is nothing but marketing BS, right?

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

We know "Cyber Monday" is nothing but marketing BS, right?

Postby BFVet » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:43 am

I can't believe the online retailers have actually gotten the news media to buy into this crap. There may be some sales available, but the discounts are nothing compared to Black Friday deals. For example, the Cyber Monday page of BFads featuring the "hottest hand-picked deals" currintly lists a Sceptre 32" LCD TV for $179. Seriously? That's a deal? When Kmart & Sears had 32" TVs for $97 on Friday? And you could get a 39" TV at multiple stores for around that same $179 price tag?

Cyber Monday is just another day. Move along folks... nothing to see here.

thejoseph5
Black Friday Pro

Re: We know "Cyber Monday" is nothing but marketing BS, righ

Postby thejoseph5 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:47 am

I thought it was just me getting confused by all the numbers. Trying to find a new TV and the Cyber Monday price is the same as a regular sale price.

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:48 am

For me, Cyber Monday is just a cold dark slap to the face that 1) Black Friday is over and 2) back to work.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:07 pm

i see people all the time say "you can find much better deals on cyber monday" but i've never experienced that.
the deals are nothing compared to black friday.

it confuses me when people say that.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:08 pm

drinkgreen wrote:For me, Cyber Monday is just a cold dark slap to the face that 1) Black Friday is over and 2) back to work.

ditto. i had some massive anxiety on saturday thinking that the next day was monday and i had to go back to work lol

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:20 pm

yeah but there are some that don't have friday sales that are having sales today. I know my co is doing up to 60% off of a bunch of products today, but we didn't have anything on Friday. American Girl had a great sale @ 6 am, by 10 it was a pretty good sale(some accessories were 65% off) most outfits were half that were included in the sale. certainly not a bad deal....
ON had a bunch of their BF pricing listed on the website, but with code CYBER take another 30% off of your purchase....means those jeans i like that were 19 all weekend today were just under 14.
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

jjbronk
Black Friday Newbie

Postby jjbronk » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:44 pm

I found a couple of good deals today, but nothing major.

$15 dresses at Gymboree
ipad for my nephew, refurbished, free shipping
lightening deals on amazon for some toys

HoundAbound
Black Friday Pro

Postby HoundAbound » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:30 am

:roll: It is hype...I made it a point to compare the pricing for Cyber Monday and check out the sites that flooded my inbox...nothing that you won't find any other "sale" day of the year...in fact, I found many sites that were using CM to "extend" their discounts that were supposed to be "BF only" sale prices...LMAO...really? It's like one big "3-cup" game at the carnival....and the carnie always wins! :?

rapidturtle
Black Friday Pro

Postby rapidturtle » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:40 pm

I totally agree here. I saw nothing even close to the BF deals, on Cyber Monday. I see better sales in any given Sunday flier.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:45 pm

I did find one score and that was some adidas pants for 12 total. There must have been something though since the total spent was 1.5bil.

Chevyman22
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Chevyman22 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:09 pm

Thing is though at $97 they had what 3-5 actually in stock per store if that ?

While I agree Cyber Monday is a gimmick to a point and BF sales do tend to be better it seems Brown Thursday is turning into the new BF and that's where the best deals were had and I see no reason why that won't continue for years to come.

I can't wait to see the lines next Thanksgiving when the new game systems hit. People will be lining up the day after Halloween. LOLROF

MegaBlue
Black Friday Pro

Postby MegaBlue » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:40 am

Next year is when everybody is finally going to have the Wii-U in stock with enough for everyone to get one, or those Wii consoles from this year will only be $69 at Walmart. Forget whatever new PlayStation or Xbox is coming: 2013 will be the official year of the Wii-U. Maybe they'll have a red one that they'll bundle NSMBU with!

BF364
Black Friday Pro

Postby BF364 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:34 am

Frankly there aren't that many 'great deals' the entire Thanksgiving day weekend...I stumble into many more better deals before Halloween and after January than I do from Grey Thursday to Cyber Monday.

So arguably both are 'marketing BS'

That said most of the 'good deals' I found for these 5 days were at smaller non-chain stores (the local book fair, some tiny online sellers I know, some foreign websites, a few auction site deals going cheap, etc).

It's nice that some of the big national chain stores have pretty much the same stuff on sale every T-Day weekend (so I can stock up on boring everyday things like cheap batteries, warm socks, and suet cakes for the bird feeders) but really how often do I need to buy a big screen TV or fancy clothes or this year's impossible to get toy/video game system/phone/tablet anyway?

We're all different, have different needs & wants, different people to buy for etc. Some of what you and I might think is a 'bad deal' (and who cares what day it is available on) is someone else's 'big score'. There is stuff that I don't like or want at all for myself that I end up buying because it is someone else's hearts desire and would make them happy to get it. If I could find some other way to make them that contented believe me I would. But that's what they want so that's what I do.

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:45 pm

Don't know what your smoking but I got crazy deals for cyber monday.

JrdnJstn
Black Friday Pro

Postby JrdnJstn » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:58 pm

Those Cyber deals might be great for people who don't want to deal with the crowds on BF or those who might have to work.

Anyways I'd say half of the tv's on sale during BF are crap brands you never heard of until BF. They know people will buy a $97 tv. I'd rather spend a little more for a good quality tv with features I want and something that will last awhile.
The biggest lie I tell myself is... "I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it."

Return to “Rants and Raves”