Black Friday is officially DEAD.

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: hiker, ikey2

Skyshade
Black Friday Pro

Re: Black Friday is officially DEAD.

Postby Skyshade » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:10 am

This is funny. Walmart is offering Skylanders: Giants Starter Pack at (yesterday 8pm) door buster price again. Maybe another sign that BF is dead because they apparently have hard time selling stuff?

Virginiaboy
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Virginiaboy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:40 am

The deals just didn't seem good this year so I didn't bother to go and I have for years. On top of that I was just plain bothered by all the openings on Thanksgiving Day. I decided no way I am leaving my family or a nice day at home to go out in the evening. Sounds like many others have the same thought. It was bad enough to stay up all night for early Friday openings. So I relaxed and went to Kohls on Friday at about noon and the line was still so long here it was at least an hour or more to check out at the cash registrars. I left without buying my few things..it wasn't worth that time. I live in Northern Virginia outside of Washington DC.

kowen
Black Friday Pro

Postby kowen » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:06 am

sportymonkey wrote:I noticed it as well. We had decent weather 60 and falling to 30 by midnight. We got to TRU at 5:15 on the dot for their 8pm opening. I had thought that there would be more people at the door already but we ended up being 63rd which is not bad; closest I have ever been there. As we were waiting it took up until 30 minutes before the lines really started to wrap around the parking lot. By that time last year they were wrapped around the parking lot and down to the other strip mall. It was half of the turnout it had seemed.
Same went with Walmart. My friend was getting a fews items for me there and was standing by the video game pallet. It was only her and maybe 5 other people. She actually had time to sit there and talk to me on which ones to choose from. Years prior you could never ever do that plus score as many of them as you want without being pushed into them. I remember gobs of people standing in line like 50 at each pallet. This year there was only 20 per pallet. Eventhough the 2nd rush got really chaotic it wasn't jammed packed of carts and not being able to move. We got what we wanted and were in and out faster than I can with groceries.
I seen a downslide in the mall as well. We waited outside at midnight and when we finally got in the mall part there really were a rush of people like before. You could run skip jump, flip or have a flash mob dance if you wanted to and wouldn't have to worry about bumping into people. The mood was calm. I think alot of people this year were disappointed and just kinda went with the flow. I'm glad that I was able to get everything I was hoping to get and then some, but I'm saddened that the rush and the need for a great sale is probably going to go by by.

I heard that people were running down the hallways yelling and screaming at the mall. LOL Or so says my boss....I didn't work until later in the day.

CkyTx
Black Friday Pro

Postby CkyTx » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:03 am

For the Austin Tx area, its the other way around, it seems with each year, counting the past 5 or 6, it seems to get more crowded.

HoundAbound
Black Friday Pro

Postby HoundAbound » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:12 am

Time to vent....maybe this will get coal in my stocking but I don't care anymore....
:twisted: Wal-mart: dumbest scenario I've ever seen...the 8am opening included most of the electronics except tvs...my oldest son lined up for the PS3 and at our "superstore" had only 20 but he got one...he then went to the DVD area and video games area...
DVD: they lined up everyone single-file with an armed guard and 5 employees and basically allowed the first 5 people (resellers) to casually go thru and load their carts to the top and emptied the pallets where the whole rest of the line walked away...there has never been a problem before with the DVD area and when the pallets were just regularly opened, it gave everyone a chance to grab a few cheap DVD's....so much for that...GOOD THINKING WALMART :evil:
Video Games: My son then went to this area...NO EMPLOYEES WATCHING, a MOB of kids attacked the pallets, my son personally saw one kid get smashed in the nose gushing blood, two get their armloads of games purposely knocked away the games flying everywhere and one girl screaming that someone groped her....GOOD WORK WALMART! :x
--and where was I during all this? well, I was in line to get my son a tv, so you had to stand there, could not leave the isle line with your tickets until 10am and listened to everyone else grabbing Black Friday sale items....and in that line, you were forced to cram against one side of the isle, and sit trapped like a rat....GOOD IDEA WALMART! :? i HAD A TICKET, WHY COULD i NOT LEAVE TO SHOP????? :?:
I'M DONE WITH BLACK FRIDAY.... :x

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:20 am

HoundAbound wrote:Time to vent....maybe this will get coal in my stocking but I don't care anymore....
:twisted: Wal-mart: dumbest scenario I've ever seen...the 8am opening included most of the electronics except tvs...my oldest son lined up for the PS3 and at our "superstore" had only 20 but he got one...he then went to the DVD area and video games area...
DVD: they lined up everyone single-file with an armed guard and 5 employees and basically allowed the first 5 people (resellers) to casually go thru and load their carts to the top and emptied the pallets where the whole rest of the line walked away...there has never been a problem before with the DVD area and when the pallets were just regularly opened, it gave everyone a chance to grab a few cheap DVD's....so much for that...GOOD THINKING WALMART :evil:
Video Games: My son then went to this area...NO EMPLOYEES WATCHING, a MOB of kids attacked the pallets, my son personally saw one kid get smashed in the nose gushing blood, two get their armloads of games purposely knocked away the games flying everywhere and one girl screaming that someone groped her....GOOD WORK WALMART! :x
--and where was I during all this? well, I was in line to get my son a tv, so you had to stand there, could not leave the isle line with your tickets until 10am and listened to everyone else grabbing Black Friday sale items....and in that line, you were forced to cram against one side of the isle, and sit trapped like a rat....GOOD IDEA WALMART! :? i HAD A TICKET, WHY COULD i NOT LEAVE TO SHOP????? :?:

This just shows how Walmart varies from city to city. From reading everyones post, Walmart seemed to be the best place to shop this year, and in fact was the case for me as well. No chaos or anything what-so-ever. I am sorry you had a bad experience at your Walmart. Maybe next year they'll have their stuff together and you can enjoy it again!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:00 pm

Lexington, Ky did not get the memo that BF is dead.

It was busy but it definately did not rival last year as the worst busy wise.

However, Kentucky always seems behind the national "norm" on anything.

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:10 pm

HoundAbound wrote:Time to vent....maybe this will get coal in my stocking but I don't care anymore....

I honestly don't know why WalMart even bothers with black friday sales. They clearly aren't interested in stocking properly, which leads to the mass riots at multiple pallets around the stores we hear about year after year. Either that, or they have something going on sale at 8:00pm and have zero in stock come 8:00pm because the shelves were cleared off at 6:00pm. I honestly don't know how it is legal for them to advertise that "item X will be on sale for $4.99 starting at 8:00pm while supplies last", and then have none of that item in stock at 8:00pm.

It is clear to me that WalMart's entire black Friday strategy is to offer a bunch of "special order" items at bargain prices to get people in the store; but then have low quantities of those items on hand in hopes that people will buy other regularly priced items instead when the sale items aren't available. I don't know why anyone bothers going to WalMart of black Friday anymore.

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:40 am

This was an off-year for us. We just had our baby a couple of months ago, and my daughter didn't have a definite list of things she wanted. The wife and I got new cell phones for our Christmas gifts.

That said we did go out there for family gifts and we stopped by stores during the off times. Walmart was pretty easy to manage about 3 hours after its 8pm launch and Toysrus significantly less crowded than normal at around 1:00am. Between 1:00am and 5:00am, it seemed the streets and stores were just dead.

Will be interesting next year when we will be heavily shopping for a 1yr old

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:49 pm

drinkgreen wrote:
Will be interesting next year when we will be heavily shopping for a 1yr old

1yo are so much fun to buy for. Most of the time just buy something with a bigger box and they will spend more time playing in the box than the toys. :lol:

JrdnJstn
Black Friday Pro

Postby JrdnJstn » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:55 pm

I live in Austin,TX and I did not see that here.

I saw massive crowds and more crowds then previous years. Opening on Thanksgiving did not stop anyone here
The biggest lie I tell myself is... "I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it."

tomkat775
Black Friday Newbie

Postby tomkat775 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:08 pm

I don't know if it was because we live in a small town, but our Walmart was crazy as ever. I got everything I wanted, but I certainly didn't notice any less people. I hope people get sick of Black Friday. It will make it easier for me!! :wink:

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:22 pm

There are more and more people each year!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Well for my particular wal mart, either the crowds were much bigger, or they had less stock, because I have always been able to go in like today and still get as many as I want of like the kids jammies, and sweats etc....NOT 1 in the store anywhere, and I LOOKED! They had womens jammies with the price on the fronts of the boxes blacked out and 13.96 written above it.

other than that NOTHING in store....I was shocked, we have always been able to snag little deals here and there for weeks afterwards.
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:36 am

teknoge3k wrote:There are more and more people each year!

The mild weather we've had here in OKC the past two years isn't helping. Next year if they have similar opening times, I'm hoping the weather will be back to normal November temperatures. Send some of these grandmas and BF amateurs back home where it's warm.

Return to “Rants and Raves”