Black Friday is officially DEAD.

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: ikey2, hiker

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Black Friday is officially DEAD.

Postby g-man430 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:10 pm

I live in a fairly large metro area and decided to drive by several national retail stores around 5pm. Here is what I saw:

-No more than 15 people at Target
-No more than 30-40 people at Best Buy and Toys R Us
-Nobody at Belk's, Macy's, Dick's, Kohl's, Academy, Home Depot, Lowe's or even Sears
-Didn't bother with Kmart or Walmart as they are already open

Remember how busy this forum was a few years ago? Now look at it. Sad it has turned into this all thanks to stupid retailers. I have shopped on Black Friday every year since 2005 until now.. :( There is just nothing I see that says "this a great deal....buy me."
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Re: Black Friday is officially DEAD.

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:17 pm

i agree about the forum - it's super dead this year compared to previous years :(

however, people around here don't line up that early for stores. i'd be shocked if there were people at target or kohls right now.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:37 pm

Shoppers are smarter, have more options and not much more money than they did ten years ago. They'll pick and choose waht they need, not what's going to end up in a storage locker.

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Vols44 wrote:Shoppers are smarter, have more options and not much more money than they did ten years ago. They'll pick and choose waht they need, not what's going to end up in a storage locker.

This is true especially considering many things you have to fight to get in the store you can get online.

nippythedog
Black Friday Pro

Postby nippythedog » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:14 pm

I totally agree,G-man. :(

desiredusername
Black Friday Amateur

Postby desiredusername » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:55 pm

It's incredibly frustrating how many of those people are even standing in line to buy the "hot" items of Black Friday just because they're marked down. These people aren't even doing their research on what the hell they're buying. Like that 50" Emerson TV at Wal-Mart for $298? Emerson? Seriously? People are either incredibly blind and willing to drop money for the hell of it, or they're smart and doing their research first.

Black Friday is a way for companies to push merchandise that is crap. It's nothing but a purge to get rid of old merchandise. I guess working in retail for so many years has left its mark on me, but I'm not at all surprised to see this decline.

Shopper X
Black Friday Pro

Postby Shopper X » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:21 pm

What's wrong with buying a 50" Emerson television for $300? If I could get that deal, I think that I would go for it. As long as it works, the price is right.

desiredusername
Black Friday Amateur

Postby desiredusername » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:32 pm

It will last 2 years, if you're lucky. You might as well put that $300 towards a TV that will last. If people are so clever with their money on Black Friday, you'd think they'd be able to figure that out (not directed at you).

Skyshade
Black Friday Pro

Postby Skyshade » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:35 pm

Wow, really? That bad here in Greenville? I should have gone out to Walmart and grab the Skylanders: Giants starter kit.

Grabbed it in Amazon Lightning Deals instead, but I would prefer pay the tax and the kids can play it tonight. Just thought there would be a big crowd so decided to try Amazon instead. :?

fred1967
Black Friday Amateur

Postby fred1967 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:09 pm

Actually, while I'd been weening myself off of Black Friday the past few years, I'm back this year and bought about as much as the most expensive year I've had before, but then again, my own personal situation has changed for the better recently.

I'm glad people aren't lining up like they used to... the whole concept has gotten nuts, and now we completely ignore the holiday as stores open earlier and earlier, and now we don't even really have a holiday anymore... BF overshadows it, and I think that's terrible.

I don't see the point of stores opening at midnight or 4 or 5am... they compete with each other on a daily basis opening at reasonable times, there's no reason that should carry over to BF. Think about it... people know what the deals are ahead of time, if they want what's in your store, then they want what you've got... either they'll go at the normal hour or not.

In fact, I think it might be beneficial... let other stores get the crazy mobs who, when disappointed they didn't get one of the five TVs that 400 people showed up for, come to your store.

I don't think BF is dead - it's just moving more and more online. I got some very good deals today, I'm very happy (one thing I missed was pretty disappointing, but by and large it all went well).

BF364
Black Friday Pro

Postby BF364 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:42 pm

I'm finding better deals online, and I'm loving stores that let me pay online & then pick it up later in store (thank you Lowes!). Of course I'm one of those nuts who plans way far ahead and buys gifts for others all year long (in stores and online) so this time of year BF deals really have to be amazing. So far I'm underwhelmed but then again there's not a lot I need or want to buy for myself or others so that maybe part of why the BF deals don't seem so 'great' to me.

Giraffe34
Black Friday Pro

Postby Giraffe34 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:06 am

Well here in my area, things were really crowded; the Best Buy line was just clownishly long for there to be NOTHING that they offered that was great this year. My friend and I went to that Walmart further away and had a great experience; she got what she wanted, I got what I wanted. When we got, people were already filling up buggies with stuff and the employees were laid back and helpful. We got kinda paranoid when we walked in and saw so many people with stuff already, but we were a great team. She managed to get the trampoline; I didn't go for anything that big, but I had a cart full. This Walmart was the best Walmart I've been to for BF. And to top it all off, we were on our way home with everything by 9:15 pm.

MegaBlue
Black Friday Pro

Postby MegaBlue » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:02 pm

I don't know how our local Best Buy was last night, but they were still wall-to-wall cars in the parking lot at about 7pm tonight. The same goes for the plaza that the Westlake, OH OfficeMax is in - wall-to-wall cars at 3:15pm today - so I'm not seeing how Black Friday is dead.

The cashier at Walmart tonight told me that last night must have brought in "the entire city of Avon." Supposedly, the cops were called out to help smooth things over. (Personally, I don't know, since my all-nighter overnight Wednesday resulted in me falling asleep by 4pm yesterday and waking up at 1:00 this morning...)

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:08 pm

I agree. I left the house at 4:45 because I was awake and figured why not. Went to Sears, Kohls, and Lowes. No lines, no people. The only place that was crazy was Menards and we were there at 11 am because we are remodeling our bathroom and finally decided on a light fixture and it was the one we saw at Menards. Had to wait for a parking spot and ran it grabbed the light and weaved in and out of people with huge carts full of junk and then snuck through the checkouts in the garden center. Lines were 30+ deep at each register. I'm sorry but Menards black friday deals are pretty much junk.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:34 pm

I noticed it as well. We had decent weather 60 and falling to 30 by midnight. We got to TRU at 5:15 on the dot for their 8pm opening. I had thought that there would be more people at the door already but we ended up being 63rd which is not bad; closest I have ever been there. As we were waiting it took up until 30 minutes before the lines really started to wrap around the parking lot. By that time last year they were wrapped around the parking lot and down to the other strip mall. It was half of the turnout it had seemed.
Same went with Walmart. My friend was getting a fews items for me there and was standing by the video game pallet. It was only her and maybe 5 other people. She actually had time to sit there and talk to me on which ones to choose from. Years prior you could never ever do that plus score as many of them as you want without being pushed into them. I remember gobs of people standing in line like 50 at each pallet. This year there was only 20 per pallet. Eventhough the 2nd rush got really chaotic it wasn't jammed packed of carts and not being able to move. We got what we wanted and were in and out faster than I can with groceries.
I seen a downslide in the mall as well. We waited outside at midnight and when we finally got in the mall part there really were a rush of people like before. You could run skip jump, flip or have a flash mob dance if you wanted to and wouldn't have to worry about bumping into people. The mood was calm. I think alot of people this year were disappointed and just kinda went with the flow. I'm glad that I was able to get everything I was hoping to get and then some, but I'm saddened that the rush and the need for a great sale is probably going to go by by.

Return to “Rants and Raves”