Ifyou want the best deals, they're in store only

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: ikey2, hiker

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Ifyou want the best deals, they're in store only

Postby BFVet » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm fed up with getting up at 2:00am / 3:00am / 4:00am / 5:00am all night on Thursday morning to find out when online sales are going live... only to find out that all the best deals are in-store only. Kmart, Sears, Best Buy... all the great TV deals aren't available online. If they aren't going to offer them online, then say so in the ads, please.

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Re: Ifyou want the best deals, they're in store only

Postby g-man430 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Amazon is your friend. :mrgreen:
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:46 pm

g-man430 wrote:Amazon is your friend. :mrgreen:

If only Amazon had a sub-$200 40" TV or a sub-$100 32" TV.

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Postby g-man430 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:12 pm

BFVet wrote:

They're going to have a 32 inch tv for $97.
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

Tony
Admin

Postby Tony » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:14 pm

BFVet wrote:

Sub $200 40" TV
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-40E220U-4 ... B0075Z2SMG

edit: sold out 319pm pst

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Possession is nine-tenths of the law. You won't get everything you want online, but you'll get everything you'll see in person. Black Friday (soon to become Black week) isn't for the meek.

headbanger783
Black Friday Pro

Postby headbanger783 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:32 pm

i ordered a sub $200 ($179 to be exact) 42 inch tv from amazon about 3 hours ago....they're are PLENTY of deals...a 32 inch LED for $147 coming up at 9pm EST

BF364
Black Friday Pro

Postby BF364 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:31 pm

I don't know...I have been seeing pretty good deals for many months now on TVs both in stores (Costco's clearance prices locally have been pretty good) and online. A lot of it has to do with how Japanese TV makers got their heads handed to them by Korean & Chinese makers (Japanese had higher list prices, yen has been stronger than Chinese yuan/renminbi and Korean won, then March 2011 tsunami, then flooding last fall in Thailand where Japan outsources a lot of manufacturing to). This is probably a good time to get a good quality TV cheap because so many Japanese makers are dropping out of big screen TV making (Panasonic being the biggest to quit). I guess they are even partnering up with each other or with other country's firms to make next generation TVs like OLEDs. I don't know if this will be true of BF2013 but now if you spend $50-$100 more you get a much better TV for that extra $.

As far as the best deals being in store only I'm finding a lot of what I might want to buy of the national chain stores BF deals I can order & pay for online and either pick up in store or have shipped to me but then again I'm not out for big pricey stuff this year. To me the Lowes tools are looking that much more attractive if I can buy em now and pick em up later tomorrow or even after this weekend!

raymacfla
Black Friday Pro

Postby raymacfla » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:10 am

buchajo wrote:
Vols44 wrote:Possession is nine-tenths of the law. You won't get everything you want online, but you'll get everything you'll see in person. Black Friday (soon to become Black week) isn't for the meek.

Yea... maybe.... and maybe not.... you might have to give up your Thanksgiving and wait 6 hours in line just to be able to have that door buster in your hand at the brick and mortar stores. That's not worth it to me.

Glad I got my TV online a few days ago. Pressure is off. Now, I'll shop for less important stuff in the brick and mortar stores while others scramble for the 3 left of the important items.

Nothing beat the Toshiba 50 inch LED that Sears and Best Buy had. $300/$400 respectively. I got one for $320.

lwmjr
Forum Moderator

Postby lwmjr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:27 am

BFVet wrote:I'm fed up with getting up at 2:00am / 3:00am / 4:00am / 5:00am all night on Thursday morning to find out when online sales are going live... only to find out that all the best deals are in-store only. Kmart, Sears, Best Buy... all the great TV deals aren't available online. If they aren't going to offer them online, then say so in the ads, please.

They want you in the store, so you will buy other stuff, while you are there.
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:06 am

This really isn't always the truth anymore. Last year when Premier Silver went live for BB I got a couple of deals online that were not in store.

Also as a redcard member @ Target there were emails with special offers, so there are always bonuses to keep an eye out for.
And with preorders going live Wed night rather than Thurs night, we had shipping notifications before a single store opened so we knew that particular items were on the way and we didn't have to worry about them.

Steff
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

lwmjr
Forum Moderator

Postby lwmjr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:40 pm

steffj89 wrote:This really isn't always the truth anymore. Last year when Premier Silver went live for BB I got a couple of deals online that were not in store.

Also as a redcard member @ Target there were emails with special offers, so there are always bonuses to keep an eye out for.
And with preorders going live Wed night rather than Thurs night, we had shipping notifications before a single store opened so we knew that particular items were on the way and we didn't have to worry about them.

Steff

Your right, there were some, online only deals last year. From a couple different stores.
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

headbanger783
Black Friday Pro

Postby headbanger783 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:12 am

got a 40 inch tv from amazon last year for $179, works great no issues. If you know how to coupon online, use sites like ebates and shop sales the deals are better online than they are at the store 95% of the time. I haven't shopped bf in store sin years. I buy online and look at the flyers and buying online almost always beats shopping in store.

I do stil like to go out for the fun of it though, and its a lot more fun not HAVING to buy certain items!

raymacfla
Black Friday Pro

Postby raymacfla » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:17 am

headbanger783 wrote:got a 40 inch tv from amazon last year for $179, works great no issues. If you know how to coupon online, use sites like ebates and shop sales the deals are better online than they are at the store 95% of the time. I haven't shopped bf in store sin years. I buy online and look at the flyers and buying online almost always beats shopping in store.

I do stil like to go out for the fun of it though, and its a lot more fun not HAVING to buy certain items!

You are definitely in the minority! I am glad that you are getting what you want. For most, it is impossible to catch the online deals. I remember back in the days of lining up for the CompUSA computer deals. there was no online component back then. You generally had to figure out when the first guy got there, which usually was a college kid, and then ask a lot of questions of the other shoppers who also beat you in line. You used that experience to plan for the next year. If you got good Intel, you could conceivably be first if you could commit to a 8 plus hour window. So you commit, and find out that another person had re-calibrated his arrival time and beat you to the punch. You were now #2 in line, but the store always seemed to have only one $100 computer. The next ones available were always 3 to 6 times that much. So now, you have 2 years experience on the line and again you adjust your arrival time. It is then that you realize that getting what you want takes time, patience, and shifting of priorities which are not in the psyche of the average American consumer.

By the time the online component became a reality, I had come to understand that stores employ the same tactics and only supply limited quantities of the hottest items to the masses, but this time everyone with a fast connection is your nemesis. You are right, the fun is in the stores, and the odds are a whole lot better if you plan accordingly.

headbanger783
Black Friday Pro

Postby headbanger783 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:21 pm

That's why I go to places like amazon. The tv was literally in stock for over an hour. I wasn't sure I was going to get it, thought about it went back and it was still there. Had it shipped in 2 days. I remember back in my high school days (late 90s) waiting in line. There were no tickets your just rushed the store. That was fun. Now that they hand out tickets and you HAVE to be in line hours and hours before hand has just kind of killed it for me. The mad rush was the fun of it all!

Return to “Rants and Raves”