Unaccompanied teens banned from Black Friday!

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Unaccompanied teens banned from Black Friday!

Postby Shopper X » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:02 pm

It looks like the Mall of America is banning unaccompanied teenagers on Thanksgiving night and Black Friday. The mall already bans teens on Friday and Saturday evenings:
http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... ack-friday
http://www.startribune.com/local/west/179825111.html

The ban is partially due to the riot that took place last holiday season in the Mall of America where hundreds of teens started fighting each other (the linked article has video of the riot):
http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/12/ ... iot-video/

Anyway, maybe more malls and stores should ban teens from Black Friday, to make a more pleasant experience for shoppers? The Mall of America ban only applies to kids under the age of 16, which seems a bit low of an age. You would think that including older teenagers in the ban might be more effective.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Re: Unaccompanied teens banned from Black Friday!

Postby jeanerz13 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:15 pm

Shopper X wrote:It looks like the Mall of America is banning unaccompanied teenagers on Thanksgiving night and Black Friday. The mall already bans teens on Friday and Saturday evenings:
http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... ack-friday
http://www.startribune.com/local/west/179825111.html

The ban is partially due to the riot that took place last holiday season in the Mall of America where hundreds of teens started fighting each other (the linked article has video of the riot):
http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/12/ ... iot-video/

Anyway, maybe more malls and stores should ban teens from Black Friday, to make a more pleasant experience for shoppers? The Mall of America ban only applies to kids under the age of 16, which seems a bit low of an age. You would think that including older teenagers in the ban might be more effective.

Well they could only go up to 17... 18 is adult. I wonder how much they'll enforce it. Are they going to card everyone at the door?

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:28 pm

Love the Filmer's choice of words at the end to describe the scene "Oh SH!T, F***)"

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:15 pm

I know that when we visited a few months ago, they were enforcing the rule. I saw security speaking to groups of teens on a few occasions.

According to an article I read, anyone 21 years or younger should be prepared to show valid ID. lol I have a SIL who stands all of 5'1 and has a baby face to go with it, she's just gotten used to being carded all the time.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:25 pm

I wish they would do that at our mall!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:36 am

mall of american normally has a curfew so it's not really surprising to me.

i'm not sure how much it's enforced though.

there used to be a show on some channel about the security at the mall of america. they take their job pretty seriously!

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:44 pm

Lol my bed time's 9pm lol

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:12 am

Get the teens out of the way.

PlutoIsTheBest
Black Friday Pro

Postby PlutoIsTheBest » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:30 am

That's a good idea. All stores should impliment that rule. What are teens doing out in the middle of the night in a mass of people anyway?

topaz3
Black Friday Pro

Postby topaz3 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:23 am

PlutoIsTheBest wrote:That's a good idea. All stores should impliment that rule. What are teens doing out in the middle of the night in a mass of people anyway?

They could be shopping for gifts trying to get the deals like us.Teenagers have jobs and their money is just as good as ours. What if their parent is ill or has little kids and they can't shop I personally would be proud of any stand up teenager out there trying to make sure that their struggling family can still make sure there's presents under the tree for the little ones. We have no idea what their family situation is and I say if they are not causing trouble and are being respectable let them do it. my husband and I both agree that we will not shop anywhere where they will not let them spend their money there. When we were both teenagers we both had jobs and I never asked my mother to take me shopping for a gift for her. I went to the mall myself and shopped for her and my siblings grandparents anyone and everyone I had to shop for and never caused any trouble. In the many years of black Friday shopping that I've experienced the only trouble ever caused in any of the lines I've stood in have always been from inexperienced stupid rude obnoxious ADULTS. We've all seen them the first time black Friday shopper who's seen too many movies like Jingle all the way and thinks it's cool to scream holler and plow through everyone and their actually proud of themselves, and the teenagers are just standing there like everyone else just minding their own business, and if there are a few disrespectful ones it shouldn't ruin it for them all, there's always LOTS of disrespectful adults does that mean no one gets to shop now? Sorry so winded but I feel very strongly this is wrong. If they're being good kids leave them alone.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:17 am

I think in general teens are not all bad. I do think if a city or location has a curfew it should be enforced. Most malls in our area have a rule that teens are not allowed to congregate and roam the mall in groups larger than about 3 because of issues with graffiti and violence.

steff
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:35 am

I'm glad to see this. Yes, it's unfortunate that some teens ruin things for more responsible teens, but given the flash mobs and violence that seem to be happening more frequently, it's the best policy. I would much rather shop at a place that has these policies than one that doesn't. FWIW I have two teens and tween.

sajero2
Black Friday Amateur

Postby sajero2 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:20 pm

I live near the MOA. They do enforce it; you can't get in the door without an adult. People are stationed at all the entrances during curfew times and they check everyone.

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:23 am

I love that MOA does this. We try to go on a Friday or Saturday evening just to avoid the mall rats. :D

It is a great place to get out of the house and walk around at in the middle of winter.

topaz3
Black Friday Pro

Postby topaz3 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:08 am

packers wrote:I love that MOA does this. We try to go on a Friday or Saturday evening just to avoid the mall rats. :D

It is a great place to get out of the house and walk around at in the middle of winter.

Isn't a mall rat just someone who's just walking around not really doing anything? Yes many teenagers will do that but there's nothing wrong with it as long as they're not doing anything wrong. Also many just want to shop like the rest of us especially at this time of year they have loved ones they want to get presents for too. It's age discrimination, their money is just as good as ours and we shouldn't punish all of them because of the bad ones. We don't punish all adults because of the bad ones. How is a teenager suppose to turn into a respectable young adult if we spend all their teen years treating them like dirt.

Return to “Rants and Raves”