The Thrill

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: hiker, ikey2

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

The Thrill

Postby Sparkle2217 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:59 am

Okay, being a die hard BF fan I must admit the thrill has slowly been dying for me. Last year the ads in my personal opinion just stunk and this year I must admit they are a whole lot better and some are even good bringing back the good old BF feeling. However, because BF is changing so much especially with the store opening times its as though BF isn't really BF anymore. I am having more of a thrill coming to the forums everyday and interacting with you guys then waiting for the ads to come out and plotting. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME LOL :lol: ? Am I the only one feeling this way? Yes, things change over the years that's just life but when it comes to certain things, they don't need to change. I am feeling the same way with Cyber Monday too. Now it's like you don't have to wait until CM to get good deals online because there are deals for the whole month and so forth. I guess I just miss the old BF and CM when just about everything happened on those two days and the weekend (BF, sat, sun, CM)...Sigh and tears :cry:

pooks
Black Friday Pro

Re: The Thrill

Postby pooks » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:14 am

I couldn't agree with you more. This year I just don't have the BF butterflies in my tummy like I used to. It's kinda heartbreaking. I totally miss the days when BF was actually on FRIDAY and not Thursday; the whole thing just kind of outrages me. I'm so bummed the retail stores have ignored the voices and pleas of their die hard/loyal BF customers when we complain about open hours being earlier. To them it's all about the bottom line and greed. To us, its a sentimental tradition we looked forward to every year but now, with things as they are, we'll be less inclined to participate. So sad.

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:36 am

pooks wrote:I couldn't agree with you more. This year I just don't have the BF butterflies in my tummy like I used to. It's kinda heartbreaking. I totally miss the days when BF was actually on FRIDAY and not Thursday; the whole thing just kind of outrages me. I'm so bummed the retail stores have ignored the voices and pleas of their die hard/loyal BF customers when we complain about open hours being earlier. To them it's all about the bottom line and greed. To us, its a sentimental tradition we looked forward to every year but now, with things as they are, we'll be less inclined to participate. So sad.

It's a catch 22. We love to shop especially if there is a good deal so if stores said they will open on Wednesday with great deals there will still be plenty of people in them shopping and getting deals. While some us prefer certain times there will always be people who prefer others so the stores go with majority rules to make money.

Shopper X
Black Friday Pro

Postby Shopper X » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:58 am

pooks wrote:the retail stores have ignored the voices and pleas of their die hard/loyal BF customers when we complain about open hours being earlier. To them it's all about the bottom line and greed.

When stores open earlier they get more customers than before. That would indicate that people are telling stores, "Thank you for opening earlier. It is more convenient for me."

I agree that Black Friday is different now. The thrill of doing things the old ways are gone because Black Friday is now basically a different game. However, I'd argue that thrill is still there, and it is actually the same as before. It's always been the thrill of maximizing your holiday shopping power. It's just that, in light of the new shopping landscape, the tactics are different. And, it still requires the same amount of planning, which is where BFAds.net comes in. Actually, it probably requires more planning now than it ever did.

Think of how retailers must have thought about Black Friday a few years ago...
"Wow, Black Friday has changed. It used to be you would put out a secret ad in the Thanksgiving newspaper with a few doorbusters to make things fun. People would come in on Friday and do all their shopping in your store, putting you in the black. But, now things have changed and the thrill is gone. Now ads leak on the internet, and there is a small number of people who swoop into your store at opening, buy up all the doorbusters (which we lose money on), and then leave to go on to the next store. Shoppers have ignored the voices and pleas of their die hard/loyal BF stores when we complain about ads getting leaked. To those shoppers, it's all about the bottom line and greed. To us stores, it's a sentimental tradition we looked forward to every year but now, with things as they are, we'll be less inclined to participate. So sad."

Blondie22
Black Friday Pro

Postby Blondie22 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:59 am

I couldn't agree more. It's the store opening times for me. I have 2 families to celebrate with. My mom is die hard BFer and is planning on changing her schedule to be able to make it to Walmart by 6. My in laws, not so much. There are several things I need/want but know there is no way I can make it anywhere before 9 pm. We live out of state and we haven't been home in 3 months as it is, so I am not willing to miss out on time with my family. Hopefully my mom can scoop some stuff at Walmart for me and Sears will have the Nook online. I like the deals this year, but knowing I can't get there to get them bums me out.

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:19 pm

I second your statement OP. I may sit this year out. Every deal I thought was a deal this year is either available at the same bf price today from the internet or the savings is poor. Nothing spoke to me this year. I like interacting with all yall

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:08 am

john.daggett wrote:I second your statement OP. I may sit this year out. Every deal I thought was a deal this year is either available at the same bf price today from the internet or the savings is poor. Nothing spoke to me this year. I like interacting with all yall

You are right about that John. Before BF really used to be about getting great deals. Now it's just like you said with the prices. I am still hoping to get some money so I can at least go to family dollar and get the buy 1 get 1 70% off on toys for my 5yr old. I always love the interaction I have with everyone on the forums. That's why i said I am getting more of thrill interacting with you guys LOL. We are a weird family here on the forums and I love it :lol:

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:07 am

SPARKLE2217 wrote:
john.daggett wrote:I second your statement OP. I may sit this year out. Every deal I thought was a deal this year is either available at the same bf price today from the internet or the savings is poor. Nothing spoke to me this year. I like interacting with all yall

You are right about that John. Before BF really used to be about getting great deals. Now it's just like you said with the prices. I am still hoping to get some money so I can at least go to family dollar and get the buy 1 get 1 70% off on toys for my 5yr old. I always love the interaction I have with everyone on the forums. That's why i said I am getting more of thrill interacting with you guys LOL. We are a weird family here on the forums and I love it :lol:

But a Family, none the less!!!

I feel anxious inside because I have nothing to take this energy for the hunting of deals away. I mean yeah I could just go buy the TV at sears (Toshiba 50" LED 299$) But I don't need or want it. At this point I may buy something just to get a deal and then sell it lol. Not one thing has captured me and stopped me dead in my tracks. I'm sad in regards to that.

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:11 pm

One thing I see if I actually wanted it would be the 32 inch tv at kmart for $97.00. My children still have the old school box tv so I would get that for them or use it for a computer screen since we still have the old school desktop computer screen

JrdnJstn
Black Friday Pro

Postby JrdnJstn » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:24 pm

I agree.

My kids are getting older so I really don't have anyone to buy for. I also think I might have to work on BF and I have no money anyways
The biggest lie I tell myself is... "I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it."

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:25 pm

I base my thrill on the most efficient trip(s) to a store (or stores) to pick up items withe a smart plan and minimal checkout wait.

This year I don't have any must items and less money to spend on excessive things.

I think the earlier start times has a lot to do with the old Friday 5-11am rush. Not many people will go to a store for the first Thursday 8pm sale and still be shopping when things warp up at 11am the next day.

HoundAbound
Black Friday Pro

Postby HoundAbound » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:03 pm

:? With all the staggered start times on Thursday, I'm not even sure what time ahead of those times to line up...it seems so confusing now...in the past, you just lined up for an all nighter at TRU...now everything has 2 hour start stagger times and that's not long enough to go from one area to another to line up...so old and confused now.... :cry:

rapidturtle
Black Friday Pro

Postby rapidturtle » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:23 am

Used to have Pie and coffee after Thanksgiving dinner and look at all the flyers to make a plan.Now I guess they want us to skip dessert. It has just gotten to ridiculous with them cutting into a major holiday. I feel bad for all of the poor workers who have to go deal with the crazy crowds on Thanksgiving day.

Paul06tc
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Paul06tc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:00 pm

I still have the thrill to go, but it's a little worse now because an 8pm start time. It was so fun going to sleep for a short time and get up and mess around with sleep ridden people. I know walmart put theirs out so early because they wanted everyone to change their plans to come to their store. I am happy there are some stores that are keeping with tradition, but I can only hope with this early start time people value family over items.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:56 pm

I had the butterflies until today. We have a pretty strict budget or atleast I try to keep it that way. Well after paying for the home ins deductible, 250 in plates, 200 in silly band fundraiser stuff that these people will not pay for ( UGH!!!), 170 in parts because my mechanic husband is ludacris, and bills we will have zip, zero, nadda again this year.

I was soo hoping that this year would be the one. The one where I could shop freely without having to scrutinize every single penny. I had it set out in black and white. Ohh forgot to tell you I bought plates, Oh crap I just broke the truck. Gee thanks honey. The one stinking day of the year that I hold so precious is gone through the drain.

Sorry to vent. But boy do I soo now how you feel on loosing the thrill this year in another sense. Maybe I will get a thrill out of smacking my husband upside the head with a frying pan. :lol:

Return to “Rants and Raves”