Am I Getting Too Old?

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: hiker, ikey2

HoundAbound
Black Friday Pro

Am I Getting Too Old?

Postby HoundAbound » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:23 am

Wow...again BF in a few weeks...my boys are now mostly in college with one left in the roost and he's not into "toys"...sigh...many years ago, it was a thrill to stand in line outside TRU all night and rush from item to item...then the boys were into video games, DVD's and electronics, so then it was WM and Target for that stuff...now it's just WM for the last few BF's...and now I look at the BF ads and see everything they already have and wonder if it's still something I should bear through...wow...am I really getting that old already? :(
I know they still need gifts, but electronic shopping has become so prevalent and easy...and my wife no longer wishes to have to rescue small children getting crushed by rabid shoppers going for the cheap towels...
Is it the economy that has me feeling down? I realize that I don't have the usual cash for Christmas and I refuse to melt a plastic card just for gifts....or is it just me? Am I really getting old?
Sigh~
My wife says to hang on and one day we'll have grandchildren to buy toys for again...my worry is, will I still be able to handle a BF by then....I've seen what happens to older/elderly people when they stagger during a door opening...and it's not pretty....
:?

heatherbade
Black Friday Pro

Re: Am I Getting Too Old?

Postby heatherbade » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:10 am

Wow your wife is nice to rescue someone on BF :shock: lol

I'm kinda in the same boat. My kids 12 & 16 just want clothes. How boring is that?? :lol: I think I just wanna go to Walmart to get stuff for myself!!

They want clothes from the outlet mall.....OUTSIDE :evil: Last year just about killed me and they are talking snow!!!

HoundAbound
Black Friday Pro

Postby HoundAbound » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:52 am

:shock: Ouch, yes, I've read horror stories of trying to wait outside in areas with rough weather...
The rescue story is as this: while i stood at WM near the DVD pallets, my wife decided to brave the line for the big pallet-box of cheap bath towels...she said a young mother 3rd in line decided to bring her 4 year old and had him STANDING when the box was opened so she could dig for towels...as you can imagine, the mob pushed hard to get into that box and my wife standing a few people back heard the baby scream and pulled him up and stood him in her cart, alerting the mother to both her child's needs and the necessity to hire a babysitter for BF.... :roll:
I then had to hear how horrible that experience was for her the rest of BF day...sigh~
I learned two things that day: Do NOT bring little ones to BF and the cheap bath towels are not worth it! :lol:

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:54 am

Not just you and I think it's a natural progression. We've had the experiences. We've been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt lol. Now our kids are older and we no longer have that urge to stand in freezing weather and then fight the crowds.

Kudos to your wife.

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:55 pm

Once my daughter grew up I started shopping for myself on BF. But last year and the year before we used Thanksgiving week to go on vacation so I had to do online only. I checked out the stores in GA and FL and no way was I waiting in those lines. The lines here in MN were always much shorter. Going to help my 20 yr old daughter out this year and wait in a line for a tv for her.

busylilnurse
Black Friday Pro

Postby busylilnurse » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:01 pm

Not older just wiser lol. Last year I just stayed up late and got what I needed online...worked out great. And I was always the black friday nut of the family. But yes the kids are getting older and I dont need to stand outside in lines anymore. I think I will enjoy relaxing this year :)

Mom22
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Mom22 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:05 am

I really don't care if I make it out this year. There are a few things I'd like to purchase, but the way the sale times are spread out from early Thanksgiving morning and onward, I'd rather stay in and shop online. I work full time, am in the dissertation phase of my PhD, and have two kids (a toddler and a teenager). I like the crazy burst of traditional BF times, but the staggered sales just tire me out. However, my 15 year old son is stating his case as to why he and I need to go. I'll probably take him while my husband stays home with the little one.

mabrey
Black Friday Pro

Postby mabrey » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:32 pm

HoundAbound wrote:Wow...again BF in a few weeks...my boys are now mostly in college with one left in the roost and he's not into "toys"...sigh...many years ago, it was a thrill to stand in line outside TRU all night and rush from item to item...then the boys were into video games, DVD's and electronics, so then it was WM and Target for that stuff...now it's just WM for the last few BF's...and now I look at the BF ads and see everything they already have and wonder if it's still something I should bear through...wow...am I really getting that old already? :(
I know they still need gifts, but electronic shopping has become so prevalent and easy...and my wife no longer wishes to have to rescue small children getting crushed by rabid shoppers going for the cheap towels...
Is it the economy that has me feeling down? I realize that I don't have the usual cash for Christmas and I refuse to melt a plastic card just for gifts....or is it just me? Am I really getting old?
Sigh~
My wife says to hang on and one day we'll have grandchildren to buy toys for again...my worry is, will I still be able to handle a BF by then....I've seen what happens to older/elderly people when they stagger during a door opening...and it's not pretty....
:?

Yes I feel that way too.......but I look at the sales and there are so many good deals for the household that I can't resist going out. I will try to do most of it online, if I can. Has anyone done Walmart online for Black Friday? Not sure if that would work or not.

HoundAbound
Black Friday Pro

Postby HoundAbound » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:09 pm

...on top of the beat-down feeling, my college son asked if I would stand with him to get a tv and DVDs from WM...trouble is, I don't even know how to calculate stand time to start as there are so many staggered start times from Thursday thru Friday, there's no going to another area to get something because those lines will already exist...Thurs 6pm, 8pm, 10pm, 12am, 4am, 5am, 8am, and on and on....ARRRGGHHH.... :?

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:17 am

I don't think your getting old :) I do think your getting wise!
So glad your wife was there to rescue that little boy! I don't know what those people think when they bring kids and stick them in harms way like that!

I have taken my youngest on BF, as a baby and toddler, and I NEVER left her, if it was something I couldn't get too, then I just didn't get to it. I couldn't imagine allowing my baby to be in the mob, that's ridiculous!
Of course if I take her now <she's 6>, she'd just see everything I buy lol

I feel sad too though, my oldest will be 14 in less than 3 weeks, my son is 11 1/2.
Thankfully they do still like toys. My oldest daughter has ADHD, and is more on a level with my 11 1/2 as far as liking to play w/toys, etc. but the day will soon come when the toy shopping is over, and it'll be heartbreaking.
Of course I have very young nephews and nieces I can shop for, but it's not really the same...

Return to “Rants and Raves”