Have you received a BF gift?

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: hiker, ikey2

PlutoIsTheBest
Black Friday Pro

Re: Have you received a BF gift?

Postby PlutoIsTheBest » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:28 pm

I don't care if a gift is a doorbuster or not. I'm just happy that the person thought enough of me to get me a gift. If I receive a doorbuster, I'm excited that the giver actually got one and I love that they got a deal.

Now my mother, on the other hand, is all about how much you spent. What matters to her is whether her gift was the most expensive or not. She gets a little miffed if her gift(s) wasn't the most expensive. I still give her doorbusters if it's something she wanted.

My motto is, "If you don't like it, give it back."

PlutoIsTheBest
Black Friday Pro

Postby PlutoIsTheBest » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:31 pm

candycanegirl wrote:Even if you don't like the $3 appliance or $5 pajamas they bought you on Black Friday, at least credit can be given for attempting to give a gift & putting thought into it. Pre used items, re-gifted items, etc. drive me nuts. Nothing says "I don't care" like dusting off an item from your closet, slapping it in a bag, and having the audacity to hand it to a person you presumably care about. I don't care how poor you are - you can find new items at Wally World or the Dollar Store just as cheap or cheaper than Goodwill.

Not everyone can afford to go to a Dollar Store. It doesn't matter if everything is a dollar or not. Dollars can be hard to come by sometimes. If someone is that broke, I'd rather they not give me a gift, but if they insisted, I would hope they regifted or wrapped something from their house instead of spending money they didn't have on me.

kowen
Black Friday Pro

Postby kowen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:05 pm

PlutoIsTheBest wrote:
candycanegirl wrote:Even if you don't like the $3 appliance or $5 pajamas they bought you on Black Friday, at least credit can be given for attempting to give a gift & putting thought into it. Pre used items, re-gifted items, etc. drive me nuts. Nothing says "I don't care" like dusting off an item from your closet, slapping it in a bag, and having the audacity to hand it to a person you presumably care about. I don't care how poor you are - you can find new items at Wally World or the Dollar Store just as cheap or cheaper than Goodwill.

Not everyone can afford to go to a Dollar Store. It doesn't matter if everything is a dollar or not. Dollars can be hard to come by sometimes. If someone is that broke, I'd rather they not give me a gift, but if they insisted, I would hope they regifted or wrapped something from their house instead of spending money they didn't have on me.

Agreed and Well Said.

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:34 am

kowen wrote:
PlutoIsTheBest wrote:

Agreed and Well Said.

Especially if you live in the north east. Dollars are worthless in some parts. When someone here drops a dollar people just give it back lol

kmwjdizlh
Black Friday Pro

Postby kmwjdizlh » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm sure if I've ever received anything that someone got as a Door Buster, and could care less if I did. I know I have given things out as a gift that I've gotten on BF. Just because its a Door Buster on BF doesnt mean the quality isnt as good. I bought DS, dvds, cds, giftsets and other things and gave them out as gifts.

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:38 pm

This kind of irritates me a bit. I re-gift. The things I re-gift are not used items. They are in brand new condition. They are things that I may have won at a chinese auction or some raffle, or received as a gift, that I simply cannot use. I have a closet specific for these things. Everything is packed away in it's original box, or in a tightly-sealed storage container. I then re-gift them for various purposes throughout the year; maybe a forgotten birthday, a graduation present, a 'just because' present for a friend, or to a family in need. At the end of the year, whatever is left gets donated to a charity. There's nothing wrong with re-gifting something to someone else who can use the item. At least it will get used that way. An example: I recently won a crockpot in a workplace raffle that I entered, hoping for the big prize (which I didn't win, obviously). I already own 3 crockpots, so I don't need another. I'm giving it to my mother for Christmas, since she needs a new one. But I'll stop ranting now.

On topic - I have received a BF doorbuster as a gift before. It never bothers me. I believe in 'it's the thought that counts' way of thinking. If you're thoughtful enough to buy me a gift, I don't care how much it was, I will appreciate it. With the exception of clothes, I have never received a Christmas present that I didn't like. I also have never re-gifted a Christmas present.

On another note, my favorite BF doorbuster ever was my digital camera that hubby bought me a few years ago. Not because it was the best camera on the market, but because he bought it for me while I was in the store with him and I had no clue. :wink:

mydogwhistle
Black Friday Pro

Postby mydogwhistle » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:39 pm

I don't have any problem receiving a doorbuster.

I even go out of the way when I give out my Christmas wish list to let people know if any of the items are going to be doorbusters or on sale Black Friday.

I still think it's awesome anyone would want to buy me anything at all :D

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:50 am

Honestly, I don't get many gifts unless they are hand made or "vintage" . I am grateful for any gift and that someone thought about me enough to buy or make me a gift. If someone receives a gift that they can't use and thinks I might like it, I am touched that they would think of me. I do love vintage cookbooks, and those can be cheap at garage sales and second hand stores. I'm a busy mom so a bottle of bubble bath is always thoughtful too. My mom-in-law spends all year knitting hats and scarves as Christmas gifts in her spare time. Now that I live in MN, we are VERY grateful for those hats and scarves!!

As my mom has gotten older, she has started giving away the family treasures at Christmas. A couple of years back, I received an old enameled pitcher that has been in the family for years. We used it to hold syrup for Sunday pancakes. I cried. She remembered that I was the one who accidentally dropped it on the new carpet in the new house. It was a traumatic event lol. I felt so bad at the time. Mom tries to connect each item with the child that might like it or has a story to go with it. Our family is big on German cookies for Christmas. My mom had a designated bowl for each type of cookie. My favorites were a hazelnut sugar cookie cut into the shape of a wreath and put in a heavy crystal bowl with hand painted Autumn colored designs. When I opened that gift and saw the bowl...yep, I cried again! My siblings got their favorite cookie bowls as well.

So, I am happy that someone thought of me enough to give a gift. Whether new, used, or a doorbuster special...I'm grateful.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:24 am

Kaelha wrote:
As my mom has gotten older, she has started giving away the family treasures at Christmas. A couple of years back, I received an old enameled pitcher that has been in the family for years. We used it to hold syrup for Sunday pancakes. I cried. She remembered that I was the one who accidentally dropped it on the new carpet in the new house. It was a traumatic event lol. I felt so bad at the time. Mom tries to connect each item with the child that might like it or has a story to go with it. Our family is big on German cookies for Christmas. My mom had a designated bowl for each type of cookie. My favorites were a hazelnut sugar cookie cut into the shape of a wreath and put in a heavy crystal bowl with hand painted Autumn colored designs. When I opened that gift and saw the bowl...yep, I cried again! My siblings got their favorite cookie bowls as well.

So, I am happy that someone thought of me enough to give a gift. Whether new, used, or a doorbuster special...I'm grateful.

Kaelha....what an awesome story. I am reminded growing up my mom had told my dad she just wanted money that she could spend on herself for whatever she wanted. So he got this "salad" bowl at the dollar store or something, and he had us crumble up 1$ bills(fifty of them) and put a roll of dimes in as well to make her a "salad" It was really funny and she cried when she opened it.
sometimes the memories are more important than the now.
Steff
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:30 am

steffj89 wrote:
Kaelha....what an awesome story. I am reminded growing up my mom had told my dad she just wanted money that she could spend on herself for whatever she wanted. So he got this "salad" bowl at the dollar store or something, and he had us crumble up 1$ bills(fifty of them) and put a roll of dimes in as well to make her a "salad" It was really funny and she cried when she opened it.
sometimes the memories are more important than the now.
Steff

I love that "salad" idea! Yes, memories can be held in the heart for many years after a gift is gone.

olusha
Black Friday Newbie

Postby olusha » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:09 pm

I honestly think it's MORE special, because it means that person got up at the crack of dawn, waited outside in the freezing cold, battled countless other people for that deal and managed to get it...plus, it means they're a smart shopper and didn't get taken advantage of. WIN/WIN!

The first year 32" tvs were a really good price, my sister and I stood outside Target for 3 hours before it opened. We ended up getting FOUR of them and telling the story of how we managed to get the deal was almost as much fun as giving the actual gift. (I cut through women's clothing because everyone was walking so slowly and I came across a surprise pile of the tvs right in the women's dept. It was awesome!)

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:02 pm

olusha wrote:I honestly think it's MORE special, because it means that person got up at the crack of dawn, waited outside in the freezing cold, battled countless other people for that deal and managed to get it...plus, it means they're a smart shopper and didn't get taken advantage of. WIN/WIN!

The first year 32" tvs were a really good price, my sister and I stood outside Target for 3 hours before it opened. We ended up getting FOUR of them and telling the story of how we managed to get the deal was almost as much fun as giving the actual gift. (I cut through women's clothing because everyone was walking so slowly and I came across a surprise pile of the tvs right in the women's dept. It was awesome!)

I second that, well said! :)

164mom
Black Friday Newbie

Postby 164mom » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:55 pm

I love a good bargain & one year I got a $3.00 coffee pot and mixer. That was 3 years ago and they are still going strong! I would never care if it was a door buster I'd love the fact that the gift giver saved money!

HoundAbound
Black Friday Pro

Postby HoundAbound » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:40 am

My wife and I watched an episode of "Little House on the Prairie" and thought of how wonderful times were when items were made by hand to give as gifts...I've always loved anything given to me no matter the size or source..it just means someone thought of me and gave their best efforts...I try to not buy a gift as a chore as it takes the fun out of it...my biggest complaint is that I don't get to buy toys for my boys as their not little anymore :(

Return to “Rants and Raves”