Best & worst deals of previous years

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: hiker, ikey2

BFriGirl
Black Friday Pro

Best & worst deals of previous years

Postby BFriGirl » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:41 am

Last year I got a couple of wonderful deals but I also got some real duds. I thought it might be fun to share your brag worthy bargains and those you thought were great but found out otherwise. If you have never thought a deal was great until sometime later please share your shopping secret. :D

Best deals: last year I found a king size down blanket for $15 regularly over $50. I loved the Tupperware sale at Walmart as well.

Bad deal: Paula dean pots and pans set from Walmart. It's been going for exactly the same price as the "sale" from about January.
BF nut in training!

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Re: Best & worst deals of previous years

Postby steffj89 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:46 am

It may not have been my "best" personal deal ever, but the Dell Streak from BB for 159 last BF and the camera I bought before, are my two FAVORITE deals. I use both DAILY.

Worst deal- I bought WAY too many DS/Wii games. I mean way too many....both kids got like 6 ds games and total as a family there were about 20 Wii games.
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:10 am

Best: 6 years ago with my MIL ( How I miss her). We went to the disney store and everything was 40% and they had additional savings on top of that for some items. I had bought roughly about 80 bucks out of pocket but I have saved close to 300 dollars.

Worst: Not really a deal but my whole perspective last year was the pits. I was badly depressed and only had $20 to spend on black friday. Hopefully I have learned my lesson and to have a just keep swimming attitude.

LarandaW
Black Friday Pro

Postby LarandaW » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:19 am

sportymonkey wrote:Best: 6 years ago with my MIL ( How I miss her). We went to the disney store and everything was 40% and they had additional savings on top of that for some items. I had bought roughly about 80 bucks out of pocket but I have saved close to 300 dollars.

Worst: Not really a deal but my whole perspective last year was the pits. I was badly depressed and only had $20 to spend on black friday. Hopefully I have learned my lesson and to have a just keep swimming attitude.

HUGS to you!!!!! Hoping for a better year......God Bless

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:52 am

LarandaW wrote:
sportymonkey wrote:Best: 6 years ago with my MIL ( How I miss her). We went to the disney store and everything was 40% and they had additional savings on top of that for some items. I had bought roughly about 80 bucks out of pocket but I have saved close to 300 dollars.

HUGS to you!!!!! Hoping for a better year......God Bless

Aww thank you sweet pea. It will be better. I'll be darned if I get in that silly slump again. :)

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:00 pm

To bad bfads does not have an angel tree of sorts for board members having a rough Christmas. I would be all for donating to those that I know (sort of) that are struggling.

Best deal- Last year TRU. I got alot and paid very little it was truly awesome.

Worst deal- The crappy pjs that unraveled and started piling after one wash I know they were a steal but they were just not even worth 4$ each in my opinion.

candycanegirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby candycanegirl » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:30 pm

Best: Old Navy $10 jeans. My husband wears jeans all the time, & still has a couple of pairs from 2 years ago. I got a lot of mileage out of cheap Old Navy clothing from the past few years.

Worst: Paula Deen pans from Walmart last year...I haven't even had them a year & they are already showing signs of wear & tear. Next time I'll shell out the extra money for a set of pans that last more than 10 months.

BFriGirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFriGirl » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:52 pm

Sportymonkey I'm sorry for your bad BF experience last year. I too hope this year is better for you.

Candycanegirl those pots and pans were a joke. I learned my lesson as well. Ours are about ready to be replaced already. Its ridiculous.

Mechimpaired (and anyone else really) I highly recommend Half of Half or Namebrand Clothing, whatever it is called where you live. They always have great deals not just on BF. they have new name brand clothes for really low prices. The only problem with them is you have to watch what you buy and look closely because some of their items do have issues (it's why they can have them for such low prices).
BF nut in training!

caravaggio
Black Friday Pro

Postby caravaggio » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:27 pm

My best deal was snagging a 30gb Zune for 80 bucks. I've had it for 5 years and it's still going strong.

TexasDealGirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby TexasDealGirl » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:08 am

Best-the tru deals last year...the art sets, imginext etc. lots of managers specials that werent in the ad
Worst- The $4 pj's that were running two sizes smaller than what they said

shawners
Black Friday Pro

Postby shawners » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:16 pm

Best deal was about 2 or 3 years ago.. Kitchenaid mixer plus from Kohls for 177, free shipping. 30 Mail in rebate from Kitchenaid.. And they retail over 300-400 depending on when you buy one. Worst thing we did was buy toys at toys r us for kids.. We should of not bought them but one toy each and used the money for Great Wolf Lodge like we did the year prior.. Toys fall apart, dont last long... Make too much sound and noise, different kinds of batteries and chargers.. got to keep re-assembling stuff.. just buy them video games or a little hand game console.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:17 pm

Thanks for the info on the Paula Deen cookware, I had asked for a 8qt stockpot from her collection for christmas....will rescind that request. I have to say I have had several types and I go back every single time to my TFAL. I have had 3 sets now in the last 22 years, the first set lasted nearly9 years, the second set I had for 7 years after we got married. I ordered a set of RED FARBERWARE that was supposed to be really nice had great reviews...OMG it SUCKED...had it less than 2 full years, found a great set of TFAL on clearance at my wal mart last spring for 40$ and bought it....sooo much better!
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

shawners
Black Friday Pro

Postby shawners » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Each person sells a top of the line model and the more affordable model. I made the mistake of doing that with Rachel Ray cookware, bought the Orange pans and stuff for like 60-100 off ebay, cant remember the exact price but their garbage after the first 4 months.. They work, just look bad and faded, maybe not dishwasher safe :)

BFriGirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFriGirl » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:35 pm

We don't have a dishwasher so wash all of our dishes by hand and use her spatulas as well. The spatula is still going strong but the cookware is falling apart. Lots of scratches. Nonstick is coming off the bottom baking sheets have all but rusted through. Perhaps it was a fluke but I have heard similar reviews.

Another bad deal was a RC helicopter from Walmart. Supposedly on sale but it was one of those things where we saw it while we were waiting so we picked it up. It ended up being regular price. In that instance it is a great example of research before you buy and don't give into impulse purchases.
BF nut in training!

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:48 am

BFriGirl wrote:We don't have a dishwasher so wash all of our dishes by hand and use her spatulas as well. The spatula is still going strong but the cookware is falling apart. Lots of scratches. Nonstick is coming off the bottom baking sheets have all but rusted through. Perhaps it was a fluke but I have heard similar reviews.

Another bad deal was a RC helicopter from Walmart. Supposedly on sale but it was one of those things where we saw it while we were waiting so we picked it up. It ended up being regular price. In that instance it is a great example of research before you buy and don't give into impulse purchases.

Those RC helicopters are a joke. We didn't get one on that day but ended up buying them later on. Didn't even fly right out of the package. Went straight up, smacked the ceiling and broke. LOL never again.

Return to “Rants and Raves”