what did you find out about your car?
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Re: Crummy return home

Postby jeanerz13 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:17 pm

I started reading through the warranty book and saw that the 12 volt battery is indeed covered by the original warranty (which is still on my car). I took my car to a local honda dealer yesterday and they couldn't find a problem. So I left it there overnight and they still couldn't find a problem. They did say that the difference between yesterday and today is that it was a lower charge today (though it was still reading good). Anyway, they gave up and just put in a good battery and told me to come back in a couple weeks to have it checked. No charge for any of that (yay!) Anyway, I've started parking backwards in my garage just in case I need another jump because I'm a little bit paranoid now. Maybe I'll eventually get really good at backwards parking... just glad I've got a 2 car garage and only one car!

Tek -- I went to VA for a week for work. I was in Centreville... actually I guess we were in Leesburg for 2 nights and Centreville for 2 nights. We stayed at Lansdowne -- they have telephones next to the toilets! After discussing with some coworkers, we decided that's in case you fall off the toilet and you need help getting back on ;) Strangely, only 1-ply toilet paper... We spent one afternoon in DC for a scavenger hunt too. And went to the air and space museum (I really hate just standing around...it makes my feet and knees hurt) I think I may have lost my work entry badge somewhere there... maybe in the airport. I usually have it in my messenger bag but Monday I couldn't get into the office b/c it apparently wasn't there... A lot of times it gets stuck between the folds of my wallet, so I think maybe it fell out when I had to get my id out at the airport and I just didn't notice. Hoping it isn't a big deal to get it replaced. Should be easy enough to deactivate the old one.

Edit: Found the badge!

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:25 am

Centreville is a nice area, glad you had fun!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:08 pm

So just a little update... in mid-August I got another letter telling me to add a tree to my front yard. After I emailed them regarding the last letter, saying that there was no good place for a tree, they had said they would recheck and notify me if there was still an issue. I hadn't heard from them for 2 years, and now I get another letter demanding that I get a tree in by fall...and this time they're threatening fines and legal action. I hate the HOA so much... I emailed them (replying to the same email they sent 2 yrs ago saying they'd recheck and told them I thought this issue had been resolved. I also called Dig-Rite to mark utilities so I could show that there's not really anywhere to put one without running into underground utilities. They didn't respond to the email after a week or so, so I finally called them and they said they'd put me on the recheck list and let me know when they were coming out (so I could meet them and point out why there's nowhere for a tree). Been 2 weeks since that first call. I figure with my luck, they'll come out the second to last day of fall, say that I still have to put in a tree... and then fine me when I don't have a tree in the next day. ARGH!

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:11 pm

jeanerz13 wrote:So just a little update... in mid-August I got another letter telling me to add a tree to my front yard. After I emailed them regarding the last letter, saying that there was no good place for a tree, they had said they would recheck and notify me if there was still an issue. I hadn't heard from them for 2 years, and now I get another letter demanding that I get a tree in by fall...and this time they're threatening fines and legal action. I hate the HOA so much... I emailed them (replying to the same email they sent 2 yrs ago saying they'd recheck and told them I thought this issue had been resolved. I also called Dig-Rite to mark utilities so I could show that there's not really anywhere to put one without running into underground utilities. They didn't respond to the email after a week or so, so I finally called them and they said they'd put me on the recheck list and let me know when they were coming out (so I could meet them and point out why there's nowhere for a tree). Been 2 weeks since that first call. I figure with my luck, they'll come out the second to last day of fall, say that I still have to put in a tree... and then fine me when I don't have a tree in the next day. ARGH!

put up an artificial Christmas tree right in the middle of the yard!!

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:28 pm

I was thinking of one those stupid little pines that don't get more than 2 ft tall... I managed to find the full HOA document (65 pages) and it says it has to be at least 2inch caliper...I'm hoping that's mature size, because you don't really find them that fat at the nursery...usually around 1 to 1.5 inch... No matter what I put in, if I put it in front of the house it's going to look stupid -- visually jarring. Having something blocking the view of the house, looking so stupid -- I think it would actually lower the value of the house -- all to meet an arbitrary HOA requirement.

And there's barely any room to the left of the garage (only place one might look ok). It's a small strip between my house and my neighbor's...plus that's where the electric, telephone and cable lines run. Landscaper thought you could just dig on top of it (just have to be manual, not using machinery)...but I didn't think you were supposed to dig within 3 feet of the markings... I don't know...

The left side of the garage (only place it wouldn't look stupid, blocking the main part of the house, especially windows)

View showing markings in main front section of yard -- Can't see it well in this picture, but water meter is halfway between that big electric box and the edge of the driveway...and water line runs up toward the house from there...don't want to plant a tree near the water line...that's asking for trouble

Full front view of the house/front yard... property lines go between the two skinny boxes on the left...and just to the right of the tree to the right of the house, toward the fence

The only part that wouldn't interfere with utilities is that upper left quadrant of the main front yard where the walkway to the front door meets the driveway... and I think that's too close to the house and too close to the concrete structures...

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:48 pm

I'm on our HOA board and some of the rules are just plain STUPID!! We are supposed to have a tree but have killed 3 so far so not doing another. so far so good on them policing it. Your yard looks awesome!! why another tree?????

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:42 pm

tinytim35 wrote:I'm on our HOA board and some of the rules are just plain STUPID!! We are supposed to have a tree but have killed 3 so far so not doing another. so far so good on them policing it. Your yard looks awesome!! why another tree?????

Because there's some stupid arbitrary rule that they have saying there must be 4 shrubs and 2 trees in the front yard of every lot :(

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:12 pm

AGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

CrazyTrain
Black Friday Pro

Postby CrazyTrain » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:11 pm

Cute house!

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:21 pm

CrazyTrain wrote:Cute house!

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:39 pm

Not that anyone cares, but I thought I'd post a follow up because I'm annoyed...

I had called the HOA management company in the middle of August about my concerns that there isn't a good place for a tree. They said they'd let me know when they were gonna send some one out so I could be here to point out why I didn't think I needed a tree...I've called them multiple times since then to check on the status and still I have no news. The last call was about 2 or 3 weeks ago when they said they were going to set up a schedule "on Wednesday" to go do inspections in my area... here we are in October and they have not once contacted me to let me know the status of things or tried to take action on my concerns. They're probably going to wait until the end of November -- not even calling me to meet them at the re-check -- and then send me a letter saying I'm still missing a tree and start charging me fines for not putting in a tree when I've been waiting on their slow power-trippin' carcasses all season... ARGH!!! Starting to wonder if I should contact a lawyer :/

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:03 pm

Plant something like a dwarf pear tree, they average 10 to 12 feet tall. or better yet, why not a silk ficus tree :wink: http://www.amazon.com/Nearly-Natural-52 ... ficus+tree
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:07 pm

There's not really anywhere to plant it without running into utilities or getting too close to the house. Even a "dwarf" tree (12 - 15 ft tall) is too big for the area in my opinion. Only place for a tree even that size is to the side of the garage (which would mean digging over utility lines). Even with that, it would be kind of tight fit between my house and the neighbor's.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:14 pm

If I have to plant a tree I'll probably do a hydrangea tree like Image

But I need to find out the official rules about planting on top of utilities... some people have told me you can dig on top of them, just watch that you don't cut the lines... but the electric guy from the city said to start digging 3 feet from the markings (great i'll plant a tree in my driveway). I don't want the HOA to force me into doing something that will get me into legal issues with the city or something.

Maybe I'll call a lawyer to get the official rules about this kind of thing.

Return to “Rants and Raves”