Crummy return home

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Crummy return home

Postby jeanerz13 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:33 pm

So, I went to VA for business this past week. Left Monday and came back Friday. I came back to find a letter from the HOA claiming that I need to "address some issues" with 4 shrubs and 1 tree. They said most problems were probably due to the drought, and we're still technically in a drought (about 8 -10 inches below what we should be for rain) but they still expect the issues to be corrected. But they don't say what the issues are. Yes, a couple of my hydrangeas died early, but I still have 4 living Euonymus which have been there for 2 to 3 years. Do these all of a sudden no longer count as shrubs? And I have 1 tree in the front and 2 in the back. None of them look any worse than you would expect at this time (leaves falling). The HOA rules say you must have 4 shrubs and 2 trees per lot. Seems like they're saying I suddenly don't have enough trees (I've had the same trees since I moved in almost 6 years ago). I'm going to try to email or call them to get some clarification, but I just have to say I absolutely LOATHE home owner associations.

In addition to that, I tried to go to the grocery store, and my car won't start. I've only had it about 6.5 months (2011 Honda Accord) and this is the 3rd time I've needed a jump. The first two were after trying to set up bluetooth with the battery on but engine not running. This time it was just trying to start up as normal. I'm going to have to get a jump on Monday so I can take it in. I'm hoping it will be a warranty-covered issue.

All this crap happening while I'm out of town I think I should just never leave again!

bfshoppermom
Black Friday Pro

Re: Crummy return home

Postby bfshoppermom » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:48 pm

Sorry your homecoming was so crummy! Hope you car issues will be worked out tomorrow. AS far as trees, shrubs, HOA...beats me. I could never live where there was a strick HOA - it would drive me nuts! My ex BIL did live in a community that was that way. About 3 people just rode golf carts around the neighborhood daily looking for violations including if you parked your car too crooked.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:14 pm

jean....autozone and some oreilleys will do the battery check for free....and should be able to tell if its a battery issue or if its a alternator or that type issue.
steff
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:15 pm

The weird thing though... about 2 or 3 months ago I had the battery die after trying to set up my bluetooth at verizon. Had to get the verizon guy to give me a jump. I took it to O'Reilly's after that and he said the battery and alternator were both good. The next day it did the same thing after trying to set up bluetooth. Finally set up bluetooth with the engine running and it didn't kill the battery. Well, it was fine after that until I get back from being gone a week. Maybe if I ever get it going I'll try going to O'Reilly's again...but I don't know. Looks like I went from a car that I had to repair every 3 months to one that can't hold a charge on the battery...or something.... Bah!

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:45 pm

you may have had an odd light on or something to drain it while you were gone a week....we kept having that happen with our blazer and the b attery tested good, alternator was fine, finally discovered there was a small light in the back that the kids were trying to turn on, we couldn't tell, because it had been burnt out forever, but them turning it on was leaving the circuit on and draining the battery...
steffsbags@ymail.com

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:33 pm

It's a reach, but a loose or unconnected wire is draining the battery. Even the newer models with a backup computer don't tax a battery bad enough for it to go bad every three months. Corroded terminals or connections can contribute to a battery's lifespan.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:56 pm

Nothing looked corroded to me when I was trying to jump it. I wouldn't really know what I was doing looking for loose wires. As far as the light being on... I didn't see anything... except there's a little blinky red light that is always on (part of the anti-theft system) Could that have drained it? If there was a burned out light that was on I would probably miss it too... I might have to try going over my car with a fine tooth comb...maybe even pulling out the manual to find every little light!

Anyway, I got it jumped tonight by my neighbor. Going to get up really early so I can try starting it before he leaves for work... if it doesn't start he can give me another jump. Either way I'll be going to O'Reillys before work to get the battery tested again.

A battery won't be covered under warranty even though it should last more than 2 yrs right? I figure they would call that normal "wear and tear" even if the battery had only lasted 3 months after the manufacture date.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:42 am

The battery should be covered under warranty and oreiellys can tell you if its like a bad cell on the battery etc. something like that should still be under the warranty. My sister bought a Dodge Avenger and it died on her and she had to have it towed to the dealership when she had only had it like 3 weeks. it turned out to be something in the battery connection and they replaced the connection aqnd the battery and brought the car to her at work the next day.
Steff
steffsbags@ymail.com

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:06 am

I've never lived anywhere with an HOA so this may be an ignorant statement but.. I don't see the purpose of an HOA?

I mean YOU pay your mortgage company for YOUR house. It's YOUR house, not anyone elses. How does an HOA have any authority to tell you what to do with your own house? What if you don't comply with them, it's not like they can make you move, since you're paying the bank for the house. I can understand if you rent, your landlord telling you to do something but that's not the case. I pay a lot of money for my house and I want to do whatever the hell I want to with it. If I want to paint it neon pink with green shutters and make my front yard entirely of green indoor/outdoor carpet and put a giant Halloween Mickey Mouse inflatable on my roof year round then I am going to do it, and nobody is going to tell me I can't. Period.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:19 am

teknoge3k wrote:I've never lived anywhere with an HOA so this may be an ignorant statement but.. I don't see the purpose of an HOA?

I mean YOU pay your mortgage company for YOUR house. It's YOUR house, not anyone elses. How does an HOA have any authority to tell you what to do with your own house? What if you don't comply with them, it's not like they can make you move, since you're paying the bank for the house. I can understand if you rent, your landlord telling you to do something but that's not the case. I pay a lot of money for my house and I want to do whatever the hell I want to with it. If I want to paint it neon pink with green shutters and make my front yard entirely of green indoor/outdoor carpet and put a giant Halloween Mickey Mouse inflatable on my roof year round then I am going to do it, and nobody is going to tell me I can't. Period.

I'm on our HOA board out of self defense...they have fits about the most insane stuff. The latest is there are some folks that want to build a fence around our permiter.. That is have the homeowners on the edge let the HOA take over their fence & put in a concrete one. They say it would help the value of the neighborhood which several of us on the board are calling it like it is....BS!! The ones that want the fence are the ones living on the edge and they want all of us to pay for it when it won't help our values at all. To top it off then we would be responsible for the upkeep forever. Yeah, I want to pay for their fence & repairs....where were they when my neighbor and I had to replace our back fence?? They are having fits about garbage cans in front of the house, saying it is supposed to be behind the fence or on the side of the house. So.....which neighbor do I want to piss off because if I put them on the side it will be by their front door as our house sets more forward than theirs. If the builders wanted to have all the cans in the back he would have put concrete paths to the backyard out of the garage. We tried to get a lot to do a playground and you would have thought we were wanting to put in a strip club!! someone said who is going to pick up all the needles and what about all the perverts that will snatch the kids and what about the kids getting run over crossing the street, who is going to watch the kids so they don't get hurt....I'm thinking what kind of idiot is going to let a kid go to a playground unsupervised in this day & age???

Oh yeah, waiting for the garbage can & tree police to come get me because I have my cans out front and no tree in the front, figured after I'd killed 3 of the trees I might as well give up!! IF they make us put our cans behind the fence my neighbor and I are buying the little white garden picket fence to put around ours..................

Oh well, enough of that. If I ever get the chance to build or buy a house again I'm looking in the country or somewhere without an IDIOTIC thing call an HOA!!!

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:00 am

We have a neighborhood here that may be within an HOA, I don't know. Like I previously said, I know nothing about them. This neighborhood lies right between a major highway and the town. From the highway there's an exit to get into our town. There's also a small road a little ways back that you can take and cut through the neighborhood to get to town, which is a little quicker. That neighborhood use to get rarely ANY traffic through it, maybe 20-30 cars per hour. They wrote the local newspaper complaining and whining saying the town MUST close the small road so nobody can drive through their precious neighborhood. Since that letter, I think everyone in this regions purposely drives through there (myself included), to make a point. I think they see somewhere between 100-150 cars per hour now and it's only getting worse. Nobody likes a whiner and people usually retaliate. I along with everyone else pay taxes and help pay for those roads and we have a right to use them as we please.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:21 pm

teknoge3k wrote:I've never lived anywhere with an HOA so this may be an ignorant statement but.. I don't see the purpose of an HOA?

The theory of the HOA is to keep the whole neighborhood looking nice (no trucks on cinder blocks, lots of rundown houses, etc) so that home values stay up. I hate it though. And as far as "what can they do"... I asked my realtor about that once and I was told that if you ever go to sell your house the HOA can put a lien on it until you pay any fines for violations and/or fix the violations. I'm just annoyed by the whole thing. The letter said I need 2 trees and 4 shrubs on the lot. I have 4 shrubs that this year apparently they no longer count as shrubs, and I have at least 3 trees (some more that are at the edge of the property line but outside the fence). What they meant was 2 trees in the front yard, but I can't add another to the front without it looking just stupid and/or crossing onto the neighbor's property. It's ridiculous that the number of trees was fine when I bought the house and 6 years later (and never cutting any down) they think I'm missing one. I hate the whole HOA thing. I'm just waiting for it to expire and an opportunity for a vote to disband the HOA. *sigh*

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:11 pm

jeanerz13 wrote:

The theory of the HOA is to keep the whole neighborhood looking nice (no trucks on cinder blocks, lots of rundown houses, etc) so that home values stay up. I hate it though. And as far as "what can they do"... I asked my realtor about that once and I was told that if you ever go to sell your house the HOA can put a lien on it until you pay any fines for violations and/or fix the violations. I'm just annoyed by the whole thing. The letter said I need 2 trees and 4 shrubs on the lot. I have 4 shrubs that this year apparently they no longer count as shrubs, and I have at least 3 trees (some more that are at the edge of the property line but outside the fence). What they meant was 2 trees in the front yard, but I can't add another to the front without it looking just stupid and/or crossing onto the neighbor's property. It's ridiculous that the number of trees was fine when I bought the house and 6 years later (and never cutting any down) they think I'm missing one. I hate the whole HOA thing. I'm just waiting for it to expire and an opportunity for a vote to disband the HOA. *sigh*

amen to expiring!! Our HOA is only about 7 years old so we are stuck with it. Neighbor and I got elected to the board in self defense to help stave off all the idiots that think we live in a prestigous upper class neighborhood that should be gated!! I mean don't we all want to pay minimum $1000 extra to build the exterior fence and keep it up when folks drive through it, the drought makes it fall down, etc.....I'm all for things looking nice but these crazy folk go to extremes!!

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:11 pm

jeanerz13 wrote:Nothing looked corroded to me when I was trying to jump it. I wouldn't really know what I was doing looking for loose wires. As far as the light being on... I didn't see anything... except there's a little blinky red light that is always on (part of the anti-theft system) Could that have drained it? If there was a burned out light that was on I would probably miss it too... I might have to try going over my car with a fine tooth comb...maybe even pulling out the manual to find every little light!

Anyway, I got it jumped tonight by my neighbor. Going to get up really early so I can try starting it before he leaves for work... if it doesn't start he can give me another jump. Either way I'll be going to O'Reillys before work to get the battery tested again.

A battery won't be covered under warranty even though it should last more than 2 yrs right? I figure they would call that normal "wear and tear" even if the battery had only lasted 3 months after the manufacture date.

Another possibility is the cable from the battery to the starter. If it's loose problems will continue. I imagine any garage worth it's salt will check it for free.

Most batteries have a full replacement for the first 36 months and prorate it after that.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:25 pm

jeanerz13 wrote:So, I went to VA for business this past week.

Where did you come to in VA?

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Return to “Rants and Raves”