Is there a Reason to go out Black Friday Shopping Anymore??

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

crashp23
Black Friday Newbie

Is there a Reason to go out Black Friday Shopping Anymore??

Postby crashp23 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:33 pm

I used to go out on black Friday and hit the sales, and put up with all the madness.. But in the last few years the deals have not really been worth it to me. Plus with Amazon, and all of the stores embracing online shopping, I find I can get just as good of deals if not better online. Last year instead of dealing with the crazy people out there and dealing with the lines etc. I just stayed home by the fireplace and did all my shopping online. When compared the deals I was getting online to the store ads, I was getting just the same, or for a few dollars more. So to me the Idea of going out early on BF are over. It is a nice cup of coffee and a roaring fireplace and a laptop for me this year.

inthedark
Black Friday Pro

Re: Is there a Reason to go out Black Friday Shopping Anymor

Postby inthedark » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Dealing with the crazy people is half the fun :lol:

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:34 pm

There are certainly advantages to shopping online, but some drawbacks too:
  • Many stores have caught on and have "in stores only" sales on black friday that are better than the online deals.
  • You can't beat the security of have a desired product in your greedy little hands. Rest assured, there will be a thread here in December by someone who [i]thought[i] they had bought a great deal online, only to find out that their order was cancelled (or won't be delivering in time for Christmas).
  • I buy a lot of things on black Friday that I end up returning. That is less of a hassle when buying in B&M than buying online.
  • Many of the online sites start their sales on Thursday - frequently at 12:01am. I've got Thanksgiving stuff to do on Thursday (which is why I don't like the Midnight openings) and don't really want to sit on the computer shopping all day.
  • Paying for shipping on online purchases, while less problematic that it was a few years ago, reduces your savings.

Chevyman22
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Chevyman22 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:46 pm

To go out Yes but to stand in line for hours and hours on in ? Nope

Of course next year with the new video game systems expected to be out just in time for the holidays no less there isn't a doubt in my mind people will flood the stores waiting in lines for days to make sure they get one. Other than special events like that though camping out is more trouble than it's worth. Most stores now have gone back to layaway or pre-order for the expected hot items like this year TRU is offering pre-orders on Furby and the Monster High Playset which are expected to be in high demand. So if people already have one on layaway or pre-ordered it's going to cut down on the scalping you usually see on ebay. So those people who wait in line just so they can buy up the hot stuff then flip them for 2 or 3 x what they paid retail will pretty much be wasting their time now.

I've never been a big Black Friday or Holiday sale person because in the end I'm looking for dirt cheap bargins of like 60-75% or more. If something is regular priced say $49.99 marking it down to only $34.99 isn't going to get me to run out and buy one.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:48 am

cause it's just fun!
one night of the year where i can stay up crazy hours and then sleep all day the next day. :D

i don't particularly need anything from black friday. i rarely buy xmas gifts during that time. most of the stuff is for me lol

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:38 am

I'm one for instant gratification ( get your mind out of the gutter pervs LOL!). There isn't that much gratification to sitting by the computer and getting the deal. Sure you're not mauled down by the masses or have a bit of road rage as that mean old lady cuts in front of you to steal that parking spot. You might groan and grumble as the system failures start popping in. But.. having that fought over item in your hand is priceless. Standing outside for hours on end, watching the lines getting longer and longer; thinking " this is going to be a fiasco." Having that half scared-more excited feeling is part of the joy of black friday. And if I give out a resounding "yes, Victory is mine!" and do a victory dance atleast there will be a crowd to laugh along with me and help make fun of my white girl moves. LMAO!

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:44 am

Chevyman22 wrote: If something is regular priced say $49.99 marking it down to only $34.99 isn't going to get me to run out and buy one.

For deals like that nope; not going to make me run out the door either.I can do that any other day. But for something that is 50% or more and its one of my things to get, heck yeah.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:54 am

I will put it in another perspective and be done. For me its simply getting more bang for my small buck. We have a small income and 4 littles; add parents, grandparents, aunts uncles, etc and that is alot to buy for. I only have so much to work with so I have to make the most of it. I have to hope that stores have those deep discounts. I cant wait and hope that my dinosaur desk top doesn't fail on me; I'm more of a if you want something done do it yourself and fight for it. Its also my mommy time where I don't have to worry about being home at a certain time; everyone is home snoozing. I'm a sahm for the time being and since hubs works horrendous hours; I hardly ever get uninterrupted adult socialization.

Backflipkingds
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Backflipkingds » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:33 pm

Yes, the deals are better. For the stuff I want, I tend to get much better deals in store. That and its fun meeting new people, trying to score a deal before others, planning out what to get, and knowing exactly what is going to be on sale.

I do both online shopping and in store but if I had to choose I would go in store.

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:19 pm

I understand where the original poster is coming from. Last year was my first year in about 10/11 years that I did not go out to the stores. I actually sat at someone's house enjoying a thanksgiving meal buying things online. Most of the stuff I brought I did not have to pay for shipping which was an added bonus. I know we talked about this on another thread as well. BF is changing so much that soon it won't be a BF or a cyber monday.

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:40 am

Last year, I didn't go out until late morning and still got some deals. I won't go out Thanksgiving night because that is a day I set aside for family and friends. I won't budge from that and it's totally my choice. By the time everyone is in bed, I'm too exhausted to head out on T-day night lol.

That said, when I do go out early on BF, I don't mind the frenzy because I am prepared for it. I can always find deals I don't see online and I set aside some cash for small items that aren't on the list. We know it's going to be crazy and we can choose whether to participate. Anyone not prepared for the chaos and a some disappointment when you miss a deal, shouldn't be out shopping IMO.

Besides, you can always come here and tell everyone about some crazy thing that happened lol!

svngpvtry
Black Friday Pro

Postby svngpvtry » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:38 pm

After dealing with Walmart last year and the multiple sale times I doubt we will be going out for BF and instead try to nab deals online. We have always had a blast going out but witnessing multiple fights over some dvds and video games is enough for me to call it quits. Still love the deals they just will have to be from the warmth of home this year.

candycanegirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby candycanegirl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:50 am

I will probably still shop for clothes in store on Black Friday, because I like to inspect for quality, size, etc. But the rest you can do online and avoid the crowds. Amazon has never let me down in terms of good deals on dvds/music/books, and I will probably continue to shop online for the majority of my gifts.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:15 am

For the most part, people enjoy going out shopping on the day after Thanksgiving. I think that there will always be a place for shopping at actual, physical stores, and as long as those stores change their strategies to compete with online sales, Black Friday will be fine.

I predict that the next big thing will be to have midnight/early morning sales on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. It seems to be the best day to have an old-style Black Friday-type sale, to catch shoppers and beat the competition before actual Black Friday and before the Thanksgiving Day online sales.

olusha
Black Friday Newbie

Postby olusha » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:13 pm

Once I let go of the idea of trying to get any of the major door busters on electronics (I have only succeeded one year), it's been amazing for me. You find deals on some things you probably wouldn't think of to look for online (clothes, shoes, kitchen gear) that are insane and definitely worth going out for.

Just go at 6 am, have a list of places you want to hit up and have FUN! Try to get electronics online, for the most part, and just have fun getting into the holiday spirit.

Return to “Rants and Raves”