Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

Who does Black Friday "right"?

Walmart, where everything is sold out by the time the sale begins, but you can get stuff if you want to wander around the store with a full shopping cart for 5 hours.
16
24%
Every other store, where you form a line and enter the fully stocked store at opening time.
52
76%
 
Total votes: 68

User avatar
BFVet
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby BFVet » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:37 am

mechimpaired wrote:One is the last stop Walmart

OMG, that brings back a memory. The most "last stop Walmart" that I've been to is at the very tip of the Peninsula of Florida. We stopped there a couple years ago on the way to Key West. The place appears to be, literally, out in the middle of nowhere. But, all (and, literally, it seems like all) of the people from the Keys drive up there to go to WalMart and stock up. Obviously its considerably cheaper than trying to shop in the Keys where everything is priced higher in general, and certainly higher than WalMart.

We were there on like a Thursday afternoon in March. I kid you not - it isn't quite Black Friday-ish, but the place is an absolute mad-house. I can't imagine what it is like on a Saturday during the vacation season. It's certainly out of the way, but if you ever find yourself driving down to the Keys and enjoy the spectacle of WalMart madness, it is certainly worth a stop.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 2509
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Re: Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby azerigold » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:42 am

BFVet wrote:
mechimpaired wrote:One is the last stop Walmart

OMG, that brings back a memory. The most "last stop Walmart" that I've been to is at the very tip of the Peninsula of Florida. We stopped there a couple years ago on the way to Key West. The place appears to be, literally, out in the middle of nowhere. But, all (and, literally, it seems like all) of the people from the Keys drive up there to go to WalMart and stock up. Obviously its considerably cheaper than trying to shop in the Keys where everything is priced higher in general, and certainly higher than WalMart.

We were there on like a Thursday afternoon in March. I kid you not - it isn't quite Black Friday-ish, but the place is an absolute mad-house. I can't imagine what it is like on a Saturday during the vacation season. It's certainly out of the way, but if you ever find yourself driving down to the Keys and enjoy the spectacle of WalMart madness, it is certainly worth a stop.


OT but I have to say I miss the Keys! Grew up going there about once a year and the other times going to St. Augustine. We used to camp down at Knights Key when I was a kid, LOVED it! Also stayed at a hotel on that same island but on the other side of the road, had a floating restaurant, and a beautiful view of the lighthouse. Wish I had cherished it more back then ya know? I haven't been to FL in years, trying to talk my husband into a family vacation, maybe next summer!

Of course being a vacationer, we always drive, and would bring most necessities with us so avoiding the Walmart madness is fine with me :wink: I'd rather spend my $$ at a decent restaurant, and shopping the souvenir shops in Key West ;)

User avatar
steffj89
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 4288
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:52 pm
Location: OK
Contact:

Re: Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby steffj89 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:17 pm

mini wal mart funny rant....
Ok so I opened my box of 30pc rubbermaid....
There are only 25 pieces. the 5 smallest bowls are missing. LOLOL
Took it back to my store, they ahve none left, so they told me they would give me a 10% discount. I really want to know who teaches them math, because they came up with 5.20 is 10% off of 6.88. Tried to tell them it would be 69 cents off....making it 6.19. They argued with me and kept telling me they owed me the other dollar. I finally gave up and agreed....LOLOL
Steff

User avatar
lovebf
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:06 am

Re: Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby lovebf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:25 am

Walmart and BB only supply limited amount of items if at all. There excuse is not every store gets what is advertised WHAT :shock: Sloppy!

Target at least stocks all of their stuff advertised and they get plenty of it so the majority of people can get everything. They have everything lined up down the isles. I went there late Friday this year and there were still piles of doorbusters....very awesome!! They are organized and the staff knows things. Yep, I would (and have) wait outside for them and give them my business.

Alternative is to wait outside for a day or 2 at BB and get a laptop with no speaker pfftt bahahaha what a joke! :lol:
It just isn't Black Friday when it is Thursday.......

User avatar
tlpbupu
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby tlpbupu » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:41 am

Actually the Walmart by my that has no competiton did let people open things and get in line early. I don't know for sure when they opened them I just went this year to get my brother the 65in Toshiba and that is what I heard. The thing about the smaller Walmart is that there are a lot of people from this area who don't go out of town to shop. EVER. They will all converge on this one store and that is it.

User avatar
chaddenise
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:17 am
Location: Iowa

Re: Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby chaddenise » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:54 pm

I dont think the employees think it is worth fighting with a customer who is ripping into the plastic before the correct time!

User avatar
Vols44
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:14 pm

Re: Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby Vols44 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:04 pm

Since I went for a dozen of the lesser items I slipped things into my cart ahead of time hung out by the register twenty minutes before ten and checked out at WM's command at nine fifty-three. The ticketed items were calm at nine thirty for the midnight madness.

User avatar
jediknight
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:22 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby jediknight » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:27 pm

nikkigirl01 wrote:My Walmart's "style" this year was great. Enabled me to get out of there by 10:05 and get in line at Target... I'm not necessarily concerned aout things being sold out by 10PM. You snooze, you lose....


You obviously don't live in my part of town!

On BF, Walmart is nuts at these opening times...I guess Kansas is a little different than NJ! :P

User avatar
jediknight
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:22 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby jediknight » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:28 pm

I actually like lining up into a full store - The Walmart way does not work out in my area as it gets rampaged and destroyed.

Yet, when they do a normal sale...like their Nov. Sat. sales in the past...where you get tickets and go in via a line...it works out perfectly.

User avatar
inthedark
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 3401
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:40 am

Re: Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby inthedark » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:46 pm

jediknight wrote:I actually like lining up into a full store - The Walmart way does not work out in my area as it gets rampaged and destroyed.

Yet, when they do a normal sale...like their Nov. Sat. sales in the past...where you get tickets and go in via a line...it works out perfectly.


I agree :!:

User avatar
Vols44
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:14 pm

Re: Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby Vols44 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:03 pm

The 24/7 stores lessen crowds since they are not waiting in the cold. The price matching strategy works with a picture of an exact item from another store. I also like the way sales are spread out to accommodate different deal seekers. They finally got on board with the ticket system. The past two BF's have been more orderly with the above mentioned methods.

Chevyman22
Black Friday Amateur
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby Chevyman22 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:11 pm

I don't know about better but Walmart's way is definitely more convenient as you can walk around shopping for other stuff while keeping warm and occasionaly when someone isn't paying attention grab one of the sale items early and hide it in your cart.

All the other stores are a pain because there tends to be no consistency as to how things are done. One store might hand out tickets while another within the same company may take a everyone for themselves storm the doors philosophy. It really depends on the management of each store.

BFADDICT1971
Black Friday Amateur
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:01 pm

Re: Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby BFADDICT1971 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:06 am

Our walmart is very orderly until the sale begins. You CAN'T load up your cart and wait around. They will NOT let you get anything off the pallets. As the time neared, and I was near the front. I started to be sneaky and use my keys to cut plastic, but I still didn't remove anything. Then once the free for all started. I got what I wanted, my new friends on the other side handed me what i needed from that side, and I handed them what they wanted. Since I was smashed literally up against the pallet of games, I just started pulling stuff off and throwing them behind me to people or hand them to people who couldn't get to them because I was in the way but couldn't move. The one thing that really made me mad. I was in line for 2 hours. I had a guy about 2 behind me, and he wanted games, so he could go jack up the prices and sale them. There were lots of parents and kids, so I did my best to get the games in their hands, and NOT his!!!!!

User avatar
sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 619
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:21 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby sportymonkey » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:15 am

BFADDICT1971 wrote:Our walmart is very orderly until the sale begins. You CAN'T load up your cart and wait around. They will NOT let you get anything off the pallets. As the time neared, and I was near the front. I started to be sneaky and use my keys to cut plastic, but I still didn't remove anything. Then once the free for all started. I got what I wanted, my new friends on the other side handed me what i needed from that side, and I handed them what they wanted. Since I was smashed literally up against the pallet of games, I just started pulling stuff off and throwing them behind me to people or hand them to people who couldn't get to them because I was in the way but couldn't move. The one thing that really made me mad. I was in line for 2 hours. I had a guy about 2 behind me, and he wanted games, so he could go jack up the prices and sale them. There were lots of parents and kids, so I did my best to get the games in their hands, and NOT his!!!!!

Kudos to you. I know that people need to make a living but I'm more giving to parents kids than flippers as well.

Our walmart is half and half. They keep the ticketed item lines in the freezer sections and away from the other choas. Some people show their Hoosier hospitality whereas some are gonna shoot up the place if you don't get outta their way right then and there ( eyeroll). The year prior they had the countdown and unwrapped the pallets only at the time stated. Last year they just let people open them. I was amazed to see everything gone at 7:30pm for the midnight sale but, had I kept more of a watch; I would have known.

User avatar
stacykay4
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 1059
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:23 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby stacykay4 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:29 pm

Our Walmart is just nuts. The big ticket items are fine because they have their own lines. But the pallets with the dvds are just nuts. You can be standing there for 30-45 minutes before the unwrapping, and as the time approaches everyone starts cramming forward. They don't even give the associate the space to cut the wrapping off. Then, Hello, you are smashed forward with hands, legs, everything flying everywhere. The tv on dvd seasons fly off, but all of the other dvds do not. If everyone just chilled a bit, there is plenty to go around. Even at 2 pm, they are still there.

I hate when you get stuck and can't even move in the aisles. Wish they would find a better place for all of the pallets. It's so frustrating to be at a standstill, especially with all those carts. I usually use the basket, but after reading many use the reusable bags, I'm going to give that a try this year.


Return to “Rants and Raves”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest