Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

Who does Black Friday "right"?

Walmart, where everything is sold out by the time the sale begins, but you can get stuff if you want to wander around the store with a full shopping cart for 5 hours.
24%
Every other store, where you form a line and enter the fully stocked store at opening time.
76%

Total votes: 68

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Re: Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby BFVet » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:53 pm

kimg wrote:f I happen to be there alone (I wasn't)

I will agree that WalMart system is likely less objectionable if you're shopping as a team (i.e., 5 people want waffle makers, then one person can just grab 5 of them). I know for a fact that I wouldn't be able to handle team shopping on Black Friday. I have my plan and if it gets messed up, its going to be because of my errors - not the errors (or differing priorities) of my shopping buddy.

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Targets line was long, but I felt it was more organized and controlled. Walmart was just street fighting chaos.

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:09 pm

Also, riddle me this:

If I show up at Best Buy or Target or etc. and walk in the door when the sale is scheduled to begin, they are going to have every advertised item on the floor (with very rare exceptions for supply chain errors). If people walked into Target when they opened at midnight, and found that 90% of the Black Friday advertised sale items were already sold out (or were never in stock in the first place), there would be an absolutely mutiny with extensive press coverage and possible government investigations. It would certainly appear, in such a situation, that Target was simply advertising goods that they had no intention of actually selling, just to get people into their store.

So why does WalMart get away with this? They advertise that they are going to have Waffle Makers on sale for $2.84 at 10:00pm on Thursday night. But yet, at 10:00pm on Thursday night, there are no Waffle Makers for sale. What gives? Did they ever have any Waffle Makers at all? Have they not put them on the floor yet? Where are they? Did WalMart just lie to get me to come into their store with no intention of ever selling me a $2.84 Waffle Maker?

Of course, everyone knows that quantities are limited on all Black Friday items at all stores. Some items - particularly bargain priced electronics - are available in extremely limited quantities. But outside of those, you can walk into Target or Best Buy or Kohls or JC Penny an hour after opening and 80%+ of the advertised items are still available. Compare that to WalMart where you walk in 15 minutes after "opening" (the beginning of the sale) and you're lucky if 10% of the advertised items are still available. Why does WalMart have such limited stocks of virtually everything in their ad? The only things left 15 minutes after "opening" are items where the marketers guessed wrong and put an item in the ad that nobody really wanted. Again, does WalMart do this because they never really had any intention of selling a $2.84 Waffle Maker at 10:00pm on Thursday night? Did they just claim that they planned to have this item available so I would go to their store and possibly buy something else since what I was told would be available, was not?

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:23 pm

teknoge3k wrote:For people who use this forum every year, it'd be Walmart because the regulars on this board KNOW to go to Walmart several hours early if they want to get everything on the list. Those who are new to Walmart, or who don't read these forums would vote the other way because they don't know to get there early.

So... let me get this straight.

If you're a newb and don't know to show up early, you'll like the "every other store option better"? Seriously?

Show up 10 minutes before opening at WalMart and you've at least got a shot at a limited quantity item because they have no lines for non-ticketed items. Show up at any other store 10 minutes before opening and you've got no shot at a limited quantity items.

Of course, the biggest difference may be that at WalMart, every item is limited quantity, while other stores actually stock somewhat adequately.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:26 pm

walmart actually has a VERY large quantity of bf items.
and it's a learning process - walmart is open 24 hours. theres really no way to keep people from the items unless you kick them out of the store.
it's like going to line up for a tv or laptop- if you don't get there early then your'e going to miss out because a lot of people knew better than you and got there early and got a place in line!

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:46 pm

I like WM when shopping for small things. Got everything I wanted by stealth shopping and covering my cart. In and out with no problems. The weather is cold here and a 24/7 WM is a better option than waiting with hundreds to snag a few choice items.

Wanted an external HD, BB had one online so it relieved me the task of waiting for Office Depot to open and price match.

If I need a big ticket item I'd wait over night for a juicy door buster. Otherwise I'll take my chances at WM even with ticketed items because of the multiple super centers in our town and the weather factor.

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:56 pm

bfaddict wrote:walmart actually has a VERY large quantity of bf items.

How do you figure? They basically have (at most) one pallet of everything. Unwrap it, everything disappears, sale is over, sale officially starts in 90 minutes!

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Vols44 wrote:The weather is cold here

This is the only argument that I can understand in favor of WalMart. Being in Florida, its a factor that would rarely affect me.

angel_of_oz
Black Friday Pro

Postby angel_of_oz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:00 pm

BFVet wrote:

How do you figure? They basically have (at most) one pallet of everything. !

Actually our Walmart had 4 pallets of those rubbermaid food containers stacked about 6 feet tall....just sayin'. I know what you mean in general....most items are one pallet, but depending on the item you can fit a lot on one pallet.

newkirk32
Black Friday Pro

Postby newkirk32 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:18 pm

yeah, walmart had tons of stuff, plus on some of the stuff they restock during the day, so you just have to check back.

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:23 pm

newkirk32 wrote:yeah, walmart had tons of stuff, plus on some of the stuff they restock during the day, so you just have to check back.

That's another thing that bothers me. They "restock", or they finally get around to stocking?

Again, it goes down to just doing what they say they are going to do in their ad. I guarantee you that certain items sit in the back right through the 10:00pm opening and are not available for sale at 10:00pm. They they roll the pallets out at 2:00am or something like that. The 'ol bait and switch again.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:27 pm

in the past target used to restock as well after the main rush. but now i think they limit their quantity way more than walmart does.

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:45 pm

bfaddict wrote:in the past target used to restock as well after the main rush. but now i think they limit their quantity way more than walmart does.

Every store *should* restock as you can only put so much product on the floor at a time. I'm not opposed to restocking as I don't thing there is anyway to avoid it. My objection is (a) I've never actually seen WalMart restock. Once the pallets are cleared, they just move them out and go back to their normal shopping day and (b) I firmly believe that WalMart occasionally just stocks late (as opposed to restocks) and rolls out a pallet full-o-crap 4 hours after the sale was supposed to begin because it got "lost" in the back room.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:58 pm

actually other than video games, I have still seen Target restocking during the day, they were bringing in tons of pallets of pajamas and games late that afternoon.
Steff

LHaro
Black Friday Pro

Postby LHaro » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:59 am

and it's a learning process - walmart is open 24 hours. theres really no way to keep people from the items unless you kick them out of the store.
it's like going to line up for a tv or laptop- if you don't get there early then your'e going to miss out because a lot of people knew better than you and got there early and got a place in line!

I agree - particularly for the items like the $3 appliances the stock is usually pretty huge. I don't understand why people think it's ok to show up at 10:00 at Walmart expecting to get doorbusters -- would you show up at opening time to Best Buy expecting to get doorbusters? On Black Friday those who show up early - and those who do their homework before hand have a much better chance of getting what they were looking for.

Return to “Rants and Raves”