And I'm officially done with Walmart

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

mabrey
Black Friday Pro

Re: And I'm officially done with Walmart

Postby mabrey » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:40 pm

BFVet wrote:Question for others that actually do WalMart doorbusting:

If the pallets are wrapped (which, i know, is questionable depending upon how early you get to the store), how the heck do you even know where to go to get the one or two things you really want? In my experience, the employees never know (and even if they give you an answer, how can you trust it?).

A couple years ago I walked through a WalMart on Wednesday night and the had some of the pallets out. But with the black plastic wrapped about everything, and no labels, I had no idea whether the pallet contained waffle makers, leap pads or DVDs.

My Walmart had clear plastic & black plastic, but they also had signs on the pallets stating what was on them & balloons with the prices floating above each one. There were a couple pallets that I couldn't find a label & I just pulled the plastic a bit & peaked. The guards were OK with this as long as no one was actually opening & taking things.

maintain242001
Black Friday Amateur

Postby maintain242001 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:43 pm

melcia wrote:Walmart this year was horrible. I'm not sure how it was in your locations but here in my town in Iowa it was BAD. I wasn't planning on buying any of the major door busters - I didn't need any TVs or computers, but I was hoping to catch the Paula Dean pans for my mom and a few odds and ends. Well as you know, the sales opened at 10 with electronics at 12, so I head into Walmart at 9. Again I wasn't planning on anything major and in years past, swinging in an hour after opening I was always able to get the more 'minor' items on my list.

Well everything was wiped out at 9. Yes. 9. You see, my Walmart opened up the pallets and let everyone put things in their carts at 6pm. And no, this wasn't advertised. To put it mildly people were MAD. It really took away the fairness and even playing field of everyone who knew the sales started at 10.

Because of this, I'm not shopping at Walmart for the rest of the Christmas Season and won't go back there for Black Friday again. There were a few more major incidents involved, including a manager who yelled at my - okay Im going to go into that.

My mom wanted to buy me the new Zelda game that came out for Christmas. I'm 30, so the surprise factor wasn't needed, but she knows how much I love my Wii games. So we get there and she heads back to electronics and there were HUNDREDS left, but the salesperson told her that the game would be waiting for her when she checked out and to head up front. So we immediately hopped in line together. Me with my mini chopper and 2 movies and her with a couple of movies for dad and a sweatshirt. We were in line at 9:40 and at 11:10 we made it to the checkouts. I paid for my stuff and she gets up and tells the poor cashier about her game. The girl walks back to customer service and 8 minutes (yes, I was looking at my cell phone) she came back with the most anxious and terrified expression on her face. She informs us that she had to talk to three managers and all the copies were back in electronics still and they'd send one up. She kept apologizing and we told her again and again that it wasn't her fault and we weren't bothered. Well 15 minutes later, no one had brought it up, so I head outside and leave my mom at the check out.

My mother came outside a half an hour later FURIOUS. Apparently about 10 minutes after I left, a manager came up and snapped, "What is TAKING SO LONG here?" and when she was informed that they were waiting, stormed away to CUSTOMER SERVICE, shouting over her shoulder that she would take care of it and get the game. When she came back, she told my mother "There aren't any games in customer service so I sent someone to get it. You can pay for your other things here and the rest at customer service." She wasn't kind in how she said it. My mom shot her a look because she was livid at this point and just as mom started to pay for the rest of her stuff, another employee came running up carrying several copies of the game and handed it to them.

It was just ridiculous. The girl at the register said that our walmart was informed to keep the zelda games up front IN customer service but the manager - the snippy one - had vetoed it, wanting to ave runners back and forth, getting each game as the customer was in check out.

Seriously. What in the world?

Not sure where in Iowa you are but the Cedar Rapids southside Wal Mart was pretty well ran this year. We got back into town after Thanksgiving and stopped in to Wal Mart for some things and it was almost 5pm at that time. No one in line for tvs, computers, etc where the lines were supposed to be and they hadnt even made the line yet for the Xbox deal as no one had said anything about it.....I almost stayed for the Xbox deal after hearing that as they said they had 30 to give out. I couldnt believe how quiet it was in there.....the Target down here had no one outside in line as of 10:30am either. My wife and her sister went back to Wal Mart at 8:30 for some things at 10pm and they were guarding stuff like hawks...nothing got unwrapped until 9:50 which was a far cry from last year so I was impressed with this Wal Mart this year.

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:32 pm

WalMart is a joke on Black Friday.

krazymop
Black Friday Pro

Postby krazymop » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:24 pm

BFVet wrote:WalMart is a joke on Black Friday.

My WM handled everything well. I think they are a bit ridiculous with the way they open the pallet of games, but overall they did a good job. Of course, the people around me in NJ don't tend to get all crazy over WM deals, so the customers tend to be fairly polite.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:30 pm

I haven't been to Walmart since June, I swap out my propane tanks there, I have six, they last awhile :lol:
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

Tomfranklin
Black Friday Pro

Postby Tomfranklin » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:07 pm

Agreed on every level this years Black Friday was on another world of whatthefuckery

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Ah yes, the annual WM rant thread. If your not more organized than the employees your set up to fail. If it's not a manager with decisionmaking authority the WM employee isn't worth your time. Online shopping was more reliable than usual and the early Thursday start times helped people like me get what they wanted without a hitch.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Walmart was actually the best place for me this year. I got there shortly before 2, and everything was out. I loaded my buggy with everything that I went after. My buggy was full by 2/2:15 and I was ready to go. I just hung out and people watched until 5:45 which was when they let us check out. Everything was calm, organized, it was just a great experience. I was able to go back later in the day and get the XBox Live card that Target had for $10 (and was sold out of).

BTW resurrecting threads that are 2 years old are a bit confusing, especially for newer people who don't look at the dates. It may be helpful to start a new thread for the current year.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:15 pm

teknoge3k wrote:Walmart was actually the best place for me this year. I got there shortly before 2, and everything was out. I loaded my buggy with everything that I went after. My buggy was full by 2/2:15 and I was ready to go. I just hung out and people watched until 5:45 which was when they let us check out. Everything was calm, organized, it was just a great experience. I was able to go back later in the day and get the XBox Live card that Target had for $10 (and was sold out of).

BTW resurrecting threads that are 2 years old are a bit confusing, especially for newer people who don't look at the dates. It may be helpful to start a new thread for the current year.

:lol: Its sink or swim around here
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

SoDangPretty
Black Friday Pro

Postby SoDangPretty » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:59 pm

teknoge3k wrote:Walmart was actually the best place for me this year. I got there shortly before 2, and everything was out. I loaded my buggy with everything that I went after. My buggy was full by 2/2:15 and I was ready to go. I just hung out and people watched until 5:45 which was when they let us check out. Everything was calm, organized, it was just a great experience. I was able to go back later in the day and get the XBox Live card that Target had for $10 (and was sold out of).

Glad to see you had a good year! We went to the Clearbrook Walmart again (right as you come into Roanoke) and they are doing what Rocky Mount does. No waiting, no arguing..everyone just walks though and picks up what they want.

I went to Bonsack (460) Walmart this morning and they had tons of stuff left. I wanted some of the Lego's 30% off..they rung up already marked down and then the guy was taking off an additional 30% off..total I got 60% off my Legos!! He did the same thing with my Christmas lights. I said something to him but he insisted he was right so I didn't feel so bad..not my mistake- I felt a lil guilty though for buying like 7 different Lego sets though.

I'm working in Martinsville now..I don't like that Walmart though!

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:26 pm

Why are we bumping a thread from 2011 :?

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:23 am

LHaro wrote:Mine was pretty organized and tried their best to keep everything wrapped until 10:00 -- at about 9:30 though people started tearing pallets open and realistically there is really nothing staff can do to stop people - other than not letting them pay until 10:00. On Black Friday showing up only an hour early is not a good idea. I got to my Walmart at 6:00 and was able to get everything that I was looking for - with the exception of the $49.00 camera (but I was able to get that online).

Ding ding! Showing up an hr before is going to get nothing, sorry Hun. Our store has been that for the past two yrs. it might start out all wrapped and ppl trying to wait but soon there are the sneaks who try to hide it, then the ppl that have patiently waited say screw it which then becomes a feeding frenzy. I will say that it was not as bad as the years past. No pushing bc they waited till db time. Heck I even had several ppl trade items if I was near their wanted item. Rule of thumb for next year is 2hrs before is perfect, 1.5hrs is ehhh, and 1 is just a no no.

Tomfranklin
Black Friday Pro

Postby Tomfranklin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:37 am

bfaddict wrote:Why are we bumping a thread from 2011 :?

to complain

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:45 am

SoDangPretty wrote:
Glad to see you had a good year! We went to the Clearbrook Walmart again (right as you come into Roanoke) and they are doing what Rocky Mount does. No waiting, no arguing..everyone just walks though and picks up what they want.

I went to Bonsack (460) Walmart this morning and they had tons of stuff left. I wanted some of the Lego's 30% off..they rung up already marked down and then the guy was taking off an additional 30% off..total I got 60% off my Legos!! He did the same thing with my Christmas lights. I said something to him but he insisted he was right so I didn't feel so bad..not my mistake- I felt a lil guilty though for buying like 7 different Lego sets though.

I'm working in Martinsville now..I don't like that Walmart though!

We went to the Clearbrook Walmart on our way into Roanoke, just to kill time. It was a lot of people in there!! We do like going to the Walmart in Martinsville too (on a normal day, not BF).. Are you in Martinsville? I am in Snow Creek, not Rocky Mount.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:30 am

Tomfranklin wrote:
bfaddict wrote:Why are we bumping a thread from 2011 :?

to complain

Sounds good :) , I, really can't complain though, as I rarely go there. :lol:

Return to “Rants and Raves”