And I'm officially done with Walmart

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Re: And I'm officially done with Walmart

Postby drinkgreen » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:33 pm

I have not included Walmart in my Black Friday fun for years, and judging from other people I've talked to and read on here, it looks like it was a wise decision. I only go there to kill time between store openings just to watch the chaos, or walk into my local Walmart Friday evening just to scavenge what was left behind.

melcia
Black Friday Amateur

Postby melcia » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:37 pm

drinkgreen wrote:I have not included Walmart in my Black Friday fun for years, and judging from other people I've talked to and read on here, it looks like it was a wise decision. I only go there to kill time between store openings just to watch the chaos, or walk into my local Walmart Friday evening just to scavenge what was left behind.

It's always so chaotic. Every time I've gone, I can't even find a salesperson to explain where something is. Of course ours is a super Walmart, so it's HUGE, but you'd think they'd inform their salespeople where things are. Sigh.

Oh well!

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:00 pm

ours had these poor guys in the dvd area that could hardly speak or understand english.. .people were asking them all sorts of questions and they just looked clueless and scared.

nikkigirl01
Black Friday Pro

Postby nikkigirl01 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:01 pm

Looks like Tek and I were the two that got REALLY lucky. I also had my cart loaded and was patiently waiting to check out by 8:30...

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:29 pm

My experience at Walmart was fine. The only thing that was frustrating was the Wii games and nobody seeming to know where they were. I asked Electronics people and they said Garden center! Up there they said no the games would be in the electronics area.
The store map even showed all video games being back by electronics.
Eventually those waiting for the games in Garden center - a manager came over to inform the Wii games were by layaway.
By the time we got back there they were pretty much gone, but from the way it looked there wasn't any variety outside of what was in the ad, so no must haves. I was hoping they would have had some not in the ad...

Also couldn't find boys pjs or t-shirts. So for those and the wii games we kind of wondered around more and more, and just to see if we missed anything. otherwise we would have been in line by 9pm. I didn't want to stand in line for an hour, so we wondered around until we found out about the Wii games, then went to get in line, we were 5th in line. Spent the time chatting with a couple of people. One of the best BF experiences at Walmart other than not finding the boys clothes.

BUT, I knew this could happen, some clothes are always missing it seems, so I had a backup plan - anything I couldn't get at Walmart I could get at Kmart ;)

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:29 pm

nikkigirl01 wrote:Looks like Tek and I were the two that got REALLY lucky. I also had my cart loaded and was patiently waiting to check out by 8:30...

Add me to that list. Cart was overfilled and was in line at 8:15pm. :wink:

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:59 pm

nikkigirl01 wrote:Looks like Tek and I were the two that got REALLY lucky. I also had my cart loaded and was patiently waiting to check out by 8:30...

See, this is the thing about WalMart. No matter what, people are going to leave frustrated, if not pissed off.

If stores do it the way yours did, then people who show up at the time of the announced sale (or even an hour, and sometimes 2 or 3 hours, early) end up getting squat because the items that were advertised to be on sale at 10pm are "sold out" by 9:00pm. In my eyes, this is no different than if Best Buy were to open their doors at midnight, and tell people "oh, sorry, we don't have any of the $200 42" Sharp TVs available even though we advertised that they'd be on sale). If Best Buy tried to pull something like that, there would not only be a mass customer revolt, but the media and likely state legislators would be all over them. Not sure why WalMart gets away with it.

But, on the other hand, if stores "unveil" (by whatever method) the sale items precisely at 10:00pm, you've got people going apeshit crazy and trampling people, shoving people, etc. Obviously, also not a good situation.

Bottom line is that Black Friday sales simply don't work at a store that doesn't close. Unless you can control access to the sales, you can't control the sales at all. I still think that WalMart should just bite the bullet and close their stores for a couple hours on Thankgiving, get the stores set up for the sale, and then open their doors again for the sale.

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:05 pm

Question for others that actually do WalMart doorbusting:

If the pallets are wrapped (which, i know, is questionable depending upon how early you get to the store), how the heck do you even know where to go to get the one or two things you really want? In my experience, the employees never know (and even if they give you an answer, how can you trust it?).

A couple years ago I walked through a WalMart on Wednesday night and the had some of the pallets out. But with the black plastic wrapped about everything, and no labels, I had no idea whether the pallet contained waffle makers, leap pads or DVDs.

doobie
Black Friday Pro

Postby doobie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:21 pm

The walmart I shopped at wrapped all in clear plastic and did not allow any opening of the pallets until the designated time (as it should be, that opening earlier is a crock and the manager should be fired). Alhough crowded my walmart did a good job. I will continue going there for BF as my 1st stop.

melcia
Black Friday Amateur

Postby melcia » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:42 pm

doobie wrote:The walmart I shopped at wrapped all in clear plastic and did not allow any opening of the pallets until the designated time (as it should be, that opening earlier is a crock and the manager should be fired). Alhough crowded my walmart did a good job. I will continue going there for BF as my 1st stop.

I wish mine had too. It was so frustrating.

leenstarsx3
Black Friday Newbie

Postby leenstarsx3 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:11 pm

This year was my first year going to Walmart for Black Friday shopping. Long story short, I didn't even make it inside the door. I wasn't really dying to get anything, but I did want to get my boyfriend the $30 office chair, and the $20 600-count bedsheets for my mum. I needed to kill time for the mall I was going to (since they opened at 4am) so I stopped by my local Walmart. HUGE LINE. I drove past it and drove 40 minutes to another Walmart. HUGE LINE. By now, I'm kind of losing hope, especially because I got there at 9PM. So I get in line, and I ask the people around me if it is the line for midnight, NO, it was the line for 10PM. First of all, FALSE ADVERTISING Walmart, their commercials and ads said the 24-hour Walmarts were open so "no one had to wait outside". I waited 2 freaking hours! When the line finally started moving, they were only letting 10-15 people in at a time. I guess they were being cautious about people getting trampled, but seriously? When one of the employees walked down the line, I asked him why not let at least 50-100 people in? Well, turns out we had to wait until those 10-15 people checked out, so more could go in. Last but not least, some guy ended up cutting us in line saying "it was an emergency"- and he needed cough syrup for his sick kid. The employees let him right inside, which only made people more upset when we saw him leave with a big cart of things. Let's just say... never again. I'm happy for the people who were able to get in, and got their stuff. I am just glad I wasn't dying for the items, but I guess I had to see Black Friday Walmart for myself.
Black Friday Shopper since 2009!
Currently excited about: Skyward Sword for the Wii
You'll see me hunting on Black Friday for: 600-count bed sheets, DVD's, clothes, and maybe a new blender!?

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:15 pm

i think i'll probably for-go the dvds at walmart from now on. you can get the same ones at target for just a little more and not much chaos. i'll only go if there's something else i want, that i can obviously grab before the chaos starts.
trying to get out of the produce section where the dvds were, was a bit of a nightmare. not to mention i almost trampled a poor little kid because their mom was letting them walk when it was elbow to elbow of people.

Giraffe34
Black Friday Pro

Postby Giraffe34 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:02 am

Well I have a rant about Walmart too, but overall my experience wasn't all that bad. Ok I get into the store at 6:30 and I grab a basket and stop and talk to an employee to ask her about the 10pm items since I am not there to get any electronics- already did that earlier through bfads. So she tells me oh ok then you can go ahead and get the 10 pm items then. I am shocked and very happy about this so, of course, I dig in. Nothing is guarded. Some employees are still putting stuff out and they watch me take items without saying a word. So I say ok then it must be ok then. I continue my effortless shopping and start to walk around the store because I am looking for a telescope advertised for my daughter. Can't find it so I am just walking around with my items and then all of a sudden some zone manager gong ho lady starts telling me I can't keep the items in my basket and can't get anything till ten. I put one of the items back and then I leave and go wait it out and shop for some household items in the house cleaning isle. Turns out others were doing the same thing to avoid this lady. Well, I am infuriated because by the time the store hits 8:30 pm, it's getting pretty full and plenty of people start getting items early! Not only that, but the check-out lines were started 20 minutes before 10! I was able to be about the third person in line to check out so that was good, but I wanted to find the lady and tell her that she'd better remember me next year if they do this again and not to dare tell me to remove my items again after seeing how this year went.

LHaro
Black Friday Pro

Postby LHaro » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:10 am

BFVet wrote:Question for others that actually do WalMart doorbusting:

If the pallets are wrapped (which, i know, is questionable depending upon how early you get to the store), how the heck do you even know where to go to get the one or two things you really want? In my experience, the employees never know (and even if they give you an answer, how can you trust it?).

A couple years ago I walked through a WalMart on Wednesday night and the had some of the pallets out. But with the black plastic wrapped about everything, and no labels, I had no idea whether the pallet contained waffle makers, leap pads or DVDs.

Well the pallets are wrapped in clear plastic not black plastic (I've been at Walmart 4 years in a row now and it's always been clear) so you can see exactly what is on them. There are also maps that show you where everything is. The staff on the floor has always been able to direct me to the correct location as well. I also get there about 5 hours early so that I can walk the store and make sure I know where everything I want is and have a route planned to get from one item to another.

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:17 am

I will not say I am done with Walmart on BF. I would say that I will get there when I get there to see what is left. It was tooo crazy. But if I have a year to recover I could have a totally different tune next Nov.

I rarely shop at Walmart throughout the year I prefer Target, Sam's Club, Kroger, or local IGA so venturing there on BF is one of a handful of occasions I go. My hometown Walmarts' have always given me awful Customer Service (and I am an easy going person) so I just try to avoid them.

Return to “Rants and Raves”