And I'm officially done with Walmart

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

melcia
Black Friday Amateur

And I'm officially done with Walmart

Postby melcia » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:22 am

Walmart this year was horrible. I'm not sure how it was in your locations but here in my town in Iowa it was BAD. I wasn't planning on buying any of the major door busters - I didn't need any TVs or computers, but I was hoping to catch the Paula Dean pans for my mom and a few odds and ends. Well as you know, the sales opened at 10 with electronics at 12, so I head into Walmart at 9. Again I wasn't planning on anything major and in years past, swinging in an hour after opening I was always able to get the more 'minor' items on my list.

Well everything was wiped out at 9. Yes. 9. You see, my Walmart opened up the pallets and let everyone put things in their carts at 6pm. And no, this wasn't advertised. To put it mildly people were MAD. It really took away the fairness and even playing field of everyone who knew the sales started at 10.

Because of this, I'm not shopping at Walmart for the rest of the Christmas Season and won't go back there for Black Friday again. There were a few more major incidents involved, including a manager who yelled at my - okay Im going to go into that.

My mom wanted to buy me the new Zelda game that came out for Christmas. I'm 30, so the surprise factor wasn't needed, but she knows how much I love my Wii games. So we get there and she heads back to electronics and there were HUNDREDS left, but the salesperson told her that the game would be waiting for her when she checked out and to head up front. So we immediately hopped in line together. Me with my mini chopper and 2 movies and her with a couple of movies for dad and a sweatshirt. We were in line at 9:40 and at 11:10 we made it to the checkouts. I paid for my stuff and she gets up and tells the poor cashier about her game. The girl walks back to customer service and 8 minutes (yes, I was looking at my cell phone) she came back with the most anxious and terrified expression on her face. She informs us that she had to talk to three managers and all the copies were back in electronics still and they'd send one up. She kept apologizing and we told her again and again that it wasn't her fault and we weren't bothered. Well 15 minutes later, no one had brought it up, so I head outside and leave my mom at the check out.

My mother came outside a half an hour later FURIOUS. Apparently about 10 minutes after I left, a manager came up and snapped, "What is TAKING SO LONG here?" and when she was informed that they were waiting, stormed away to CUSTOMER SERVICE, shouting over her shoulder that she would take care of it and get the game. When she came back, she told my mother "There aren't any games in customer service so I sent someone to get it. You can pay for your other things here and the rest at customer service." She wasn't kind in how she said it. My mom shot her a look because she was livid at this point and just as mom started to pay for the rest of her stuff, another employee came running up carrying several copies of the game and handed it to them.

It was just ridiculous. The girl at the register said that our walmart was informed to keep the zelda games up front IN customer service but the manager - the snippy one - had vetoed it, wanting to ave runners back and forth, getting each game as the customer was in check out.

Seriously. What in the world?

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Re: And I'm officially done with Walmart

Postby steffj89 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:36 am

I didn't do anything but scavenge at WM. My local one still has about 20 of the paula deen sets as of 8 am yesterday. I haven't been out of the the house since then, and barely out of bed....but I had fun and got the majority of what I wanted.
but my local store will have deals left for the next several weeks and the majority of these must have toys will be on my clearance aisle CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP by about the 10th of Jan. I will be looking for that fire truck in Jan, cause I am not paying 60$ for it...it will be about 25 in Jan.

Steff

melcia
Black Friday Amateur

Postby melcia » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:37 am

That's so sad. :( That's all my mom wanted, was the Paula Dean set. That was such a good deal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that another one of her sets will go on sale SOMEWHERE during December. (Hopefully not at Walmart. It'll be a real battle of conscience if it does.)

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:48 am

do you have other WMs near you? I would so recommend checking around because you never know what you may find leftover from one to the next...
I get the conscience thing, I have a love hate thing with WM. They are the regions largest employer here because we live near their home offices and its WM that got the airport built, and WM that has been the draw to get a lot of the large co;s to come in here and WM money that has kept the contruction industry etc in this region afloat and not largely affected by much of the recession until this year, but at the same time....
Steff

melcia
Black Friday Amateur

Postby melcia » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:53 am

I live in a pretty small town (comparatively) but there are a few Walmart's within a 40 minute drive from me. So maybe. Thanks for that tip! :lol:

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:00 am

see we live in very rural area, so have to drive anyway, but I have 5 walmarts about 30 mins away and if I inclued an hour any direction I have about 40.
Steff

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:37 am

That is one thing I have learned about walmart over the years. Some will do things right and open stuff at the right time like their supposed to and others will do things wrong and open stuff hours early. I have three walmarts within 10 minutes from my house. I avoid the 24hr one because that one is always a mad house even without BF. Like Steff said if you are able to drive to another one do so. Sorry you had a bad experience.

LHaro
Black Friday Pro

Postby LHaro » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:20 am

Mine was pretty organized and tried their best to keep everything wrapped until 10:00 -- at about 9:30 though people started tearing pallets open and realistically there is really nothing staff can do to stop people - other than not letting them pay until 10:00. On Black Friday showing up only an hour early is not a good idea. I got to my Walmart at 6:00 and was able to get everything that I was looking for - with the exception of the $49.00 camera (but I was able to get that online).

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:00 am

melcia wrote:Walmart this year was horrible. I'm not sure how it was in your locations but here in my town in Iowa it was BAD. I wasn't planning on buying any of the major door busters - I didn't need any TVs or computers, but I was hoping to catch the Paula Dean pans for my mom and a few odds and ends. Well as you know, the sales opened at 10 with electronics at 12, so I head into Walmart at 9. Again I wasn't planning on anything major and in years past, swinging in an hour after opening I was always able to get the more 'minor' items on my list.

Well everything was wiped out at 9. Yes. 9. You see, my Walmart opened up the pallets and let everyone put things in their carts at 6pm. And no, this wasn't advertised. To put it mildly people were MAD. It really took away the fairness and even playing field of everyone who knew the sales started at 10.

Because of this, I'm not shopping at Walmart for the rest of the Christmas Season and won't go back there for Black Friday again. There were a few more major incidents involved, including a manager who yelled at my - okay Im going to go into that.

My mom wanted to buy me the new Zelda game that came out for Christmas. I'm 30, so the surprise factor wasn't needed, but she knows how much I love my Wii games. So we get there and she heads back to electronics and there were HUNDREDS left, but the salesperson told her that the game would be waiting for her when she checked out and to head up front. So we immediately hopped in line together. Me with my mini chopper and 2 movies and her with a couple of movies for dad and a sweatshirt. We were in line at 9:40 and at 11:10 we made it to the checkouts. I paid for my stuff and she gets up and tells the poor cashier about her game. The girl walks back to customer service and 8 minutes (yes, I was looking at my cell phone) she came back with the most anxious and terrified expression on her face. She informs us that she had to talk to three managers and all the copies were back in electronics still and they'd send one up. She kept apologizing and we told her again and again that it wasn't her fault and we weren't bothered. Well 15 minutes later, no one had brought it up, so I head outside and leave my mom at the check out.

My mother came outside a half an hour later FURIOUS. Apparently about 10 minutes after I left, a manager came up and snapped, "What is TAKING SO LONG here?" and when she was informed that they were waiting, stormed away to CUSTOMER SERVICE, shouting over her shoulder that she would take care of it and get the game. When she came back, she told my mother "There aren't any games in customer service so I sent someone to get it. You can pay for your other things here and the rest at customer service." She wasn't kind in how she said it. My mom shot her a look because she was livid at this point and just as mom started to pay for the rest of her stuff, another employee came running up carrying several copies of the game and handed it to them.

It was just ridiculous. The girl at the register said that our walmart was informed to keep the zelda games up front IN customer service but the manager - the snippy one - had vetoed it, wanting to ave runners back and forth, getting each game as the customer was in check out.

You're lucky yours waited until 9... You honestly can't expect to get somewhere an hour before sales begin and expect to get anything. Ours started at 7 for the 10pm sale. 8:15 my buggy was full and I was waiting to pay.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:36 am

It seems that every Black Friday shopper will have a WalMart story like this eventually. Flat out, WalMart just doesn't have a clue how to handle Black Friday. I finally figured out why at 10:00am when I strolled into WalMart looking for whatever leftovers might be available.

At every other store in America, the vast majority of their Black Friday sale items are things that they sell the other 364 days of the year. While they get extra stock and frequently have additional products located in odd places throughout the store, the pallet full of waffle irons located in the clothing department isn't the main focus of their sale, and doesn't make up 90% of their sale items.

At WalMart, nearly all of their Black Friday products are special order items. Meaning that if you're looking for a barbie doll, you can't simply go to the barbie shelf in the toy department and expect to find it. Meaning everyone has to run around the store looking for where your WalMart *might* have put the damn thing. Go back to the waffle irons; You get a couple toys you wanted and then want a waffle iron too. Of course, we all know they were gone in 15 seconds. But if you don't know that, you're going to end up walking around the store for 20 minutes looking for them. All the while asking employees who give the answer "I don't know. Try housewares".

And I guess the other point is that WalMart under stocks their sale items. I understand that you can't stock 2,000 46" TVs. But there is no way you should sell out of your entire stock of waffle irons in 15 seconds. Go to Target, Kmart, Kohls, JC Penny, Sears, etc. and they have a reasonable stock of nearly all the items in their ad. Go to those stores 3 hours after opening and you can still find many of the sale items available on the floor. Go to WalMart 3 hours after opening and everything is gone - except for the random pallet that some employee forgot to put out earlier in the day.

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:53 am

I had to go to Walmart about 3:00 to pick up a couple of things for dinner....looked at the pallets lined up & could see what was on each pallet so decided to do some scouting to find what I wanted. Was a lot easier to get my stuff later since I knew where to go. We got there at 8:15 for the 10 sale.

Folks were ripping into the stuff about 9:00. it was pure madness. They held us in line till 10 to pay though.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:42 am

our pallets weren't wrapped at all but there was still plenty of merchandise at 9 when we got there.
probably helps that we have 4 walmarts around here. you need to come to des moines :D

courtneythornton
Black Friday Pro

Postby courtneythornton » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:52 pm

Our Wal-Mart never had any pallets wrapped either, and actually opened the registers at 8:30, because they had too many people in the store, and I'm assuming the Fire Marshall had something to do with that. When my DH and I went back at 5 am, pretty much everything still had some amount there. The Paula Deen pans were still available last night on walmart.com for the same price and free shipping.

bennyjuk
Black Friday Newbie

Postby bennyjuk » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:12 pm

The Walmart in Chino Hills was well organised. Nothing was taken until 10pm and, although the place was an absolute zoo, I was out by 10.05pm having picked up my box of Lego and cutting through the clothing section to the checkouts.

melcia
Black Friday Amateur

Postby melcia » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:19 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
melcia wrote:Walmart this year was horrible. I'm not sure how it was in your locations but here in my town in Iowa it was BAD. I wasn't planning on buying any of the major door busters - I didn't need any TVs or computers, but I was hoping to catch the Paula Dean pans for my mom and a few odds and ends. Well as you know, the sales opened at 10 with electronics at 12, so I head into Walmart at 9. Again I wasn't planning on anything major and in years past, swinging in an hour after opening I was always able to get the more 'minor' items on my list.

You're lucky yours waited until 9... You honestly can't expect to get somewhere an hour before sales begin and expect to get anything. Ours started at 7 for the 10pm sale. 8:15 my buggy was full and I was waiting to pay.

In years past, and I've been doing this for a LONG TIME, I could walk in an hour or two AFTER opening and get what I needed. Again, I've never needed the major items. However in year's past, our Walmart wouldn't open up the items until the sale began. This year, they unwrapped them prior to 10 which according to what I've been reading online, is a fire-able offence for managers. And mine didn't wait until 9. I waited until 9. Mine opened theirs up at 6 pm.

It isn't right. If a store states that a sale is going to start at a certain time and that items will not be on sale until a certain time, they should follow through with that. It's a version of bait and switch. Get the customers in, change the stipulations behind an advertised sale, and sit back and watch the confusion and chaos.

Return to “Rants and Raves”