Holy Moly.

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: hiker, ikey2

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Holy Moly.

Postby mechimpaired » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:08 am

I have a few things left to buy for Thanksgiving dinner. I heard on the news a few weeks ago that prices had increased but they always say that and I do not typically notice. But looking at the local Kroger ad I see the prices are not as great as last year. 1 block of Philly Cream Cheese 1.50? Glad my husband planted two pecan trees for me when we bought the house because they are even higher than last year! Anyone else notice this yet?

This should probably be in the rant section.

killasnake
Admin

Re: Holy Moly.

Postby killasnake » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:50 am

Yup :)

nikkigirl01
Black Friday Pro

Postby nikkigirl01 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:30 am

I cook Italian for Thanksgiving...which means buying a lot of meat, dairy/cheeses, etc... The price of ground beef is RIDICULOUS, and cheese prices aren't much better. I saw the turkey prices the other day and I almost had a heart attack. I remember when stores would practically give turkeys away. This year, they are $1.39/lb.

PokeMeg
Black Friday Pro

Postby PokeMeg » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:34 am

I haven't done any of my shopping yet.

Most of what I make is vegetable related (we're vegetarian.) so usually drive out of the way to a store that has better produce.

I know my Mom got their turkey for $.25 this year though! Our cable company has a 'point' system when you pay your bill you get points and can redeem them for prizes. She got a $25 gift certificate for ANY turkey, anywhere!

...I spent my points on a Food Network chip clip. :lol:
"Every flight begins with a fall", the crow said. "Look down."

carolinagal
Black Friday Pro

Postby carolinagal » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:43 am

I'm begining to think that I should have given serious thought many years ago to becoming a farmer instead of a city girl... :lol:
LeeAnn

Shopper X
Black Friday Pro

Postby Shopper X » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:11 pm

Frozen turkeys are $0.59 cents a pound at the "cheap" supermarket in my area. If I recall correctly, last year they were $0.49 cents a pound.

stepheng
Black Friday Pro

Postby stepheng » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:23 pm

Shopper X wrote:Frozen turkeys are $0.59 cents a pound at the "cheap" supermarket in my area. If I recall correctly, last year they were $0.49 cents a pound.

What supermarket might this be? That's cheaper than what I've been seeing. Wondering if I might have this store...
"Do right." -Erk Russell

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:26 pm

In my area Kroger Turkey is .79. IGA is .75 I think last year I got our turkey for .69 so ten cents seems to be the higher price this year.

Shopper X
Black Friday Pro

Postby Shopper X » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:37 pm

The $0.59/lb. turkey is at Market Basket, for frozen Jennie-O and store brands.

Jealys777
Black Friday Pro

Postby Jealys777 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:40 am

My Kroger the block of Philadelphia Cream Cheese was $2.51!!! & I live in the middle of Indiana, I am a country girl!! Thankfully it's on sale @ Meijer this week 3 for $4, since I make cheesecakes & oreo balls for the holidays.

BFPrincess
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFPrincess » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:00 am

mechimpaired wrote:I have a few things left to buy for Thanksgiving dinner. I heard on the news a few weeks ago that prices had increased but they always say that and I do not typically notice. But looking at the local Kroger ad I see the prices are not as great as last year. 1 block of Philly Cream Cheese 1.50? Glad my husband planted two pecan trees for me when we bought the house because they are even higher than last year! Anyone else notice this yet?

well lemme say this...Living in Canada, I would kill to pay $1.50 for cream cheese! and doesn't Price Chopper put Turkey on sale SUPER cheap next week. I know my last stop on BF day is Price Chopper to pick up a cheap turkey. One year my 25lb turkey was $7

This is why I stock up on essentials when I'm in the US!

Now, who wants to invite me over for Turkey dinner?!!? :D

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:28 am

BFPrincess wrote:
mechimpaired wrote:I have a few things left to buy for Thanksgiving dinner. I heard on the news a few weeks ago that prices had increased but they always say that and I do not typically notice. But looking at the local Kroger ad I see the prices are not as great as last year. 1 block of Philly Cream Cheese 1.50? Glad my husband planted two pecan trees for me when we bought the house because they are even higher than last year! Anyone else notice this yet?

well lemme say this...Living in Canada, I would kill to pay $1.50 for cream cheese! and doesn't Price Chopper put Turkey on sale SUPER cheap next week. I know my last stop on BF day is Price Chopper to pick up a cheap turkey. One year my 25lb turkey was $7

This is why I stock up on essentials when I'm in the US!

Now, who wants to invite me over for Turkey dinner?!!? :D

Make your way on down to OKC & I'll make sure you get some turkey!!!

think I've seen $1.09/lb so far but haven't really looked yet. Will go shopping this weekend.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:49 pm

Turkeys are cheaper now that its near Thanksgiving but as for milk and meat oh dear. I'm a crazy couponer and I sooo wish they would make some ground beef coupons once in awhile. (close your eyes vegetarians LOL) We are a family of 6 and eat 2lbs of meat at a time. We always have a meat for dinner so 2.49lbx10lbs=24-25 just for ground beef. thats 1/3 of our grocery allowance right there. Sorry vent over.

nikkigirl01
Black Friday Pro

Postby nikkigirl01 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:01 pm

sportymonkey wrote:Turkeys are cheaper now that its near Thanksgiving but as for milk and meat oh dear. I'm a crazy couponer and I sooo wish they would make some ground beef coupons once in awhile. (close your eyes vegetarians LOL) We are a family of 6 and eat 2lbs of meat at a time. We always have a meat for dinner so 2.49lbx10lbs=24-25 just for ground beef. thats 1/3 of our grocery allowance right there. Sorry vent over.

I'm still not seeing turkeys much cheaper here even though it's the week before T-Day. I'm a couponer too and I totally agree that meat and milk kill me. We are a family of 5. Me, Hubby, and three boys that eat like starving gorillas. It's ridiculous the amount of food they can eat in a week.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:54 am

I've noticed it on certain things, especially Apples. I used to find apples on great sales in the fall, but not this year. I stop at Sav a lot once in a while our locally owned Sav a lot is pretty decent, and their apple prices are GREAT right now. I like to cook w/apples so I've been really missing them! A small bag at Kroger is $4.00.
Tomatoes were a bit pricey but seem to come down a bit. Avacadoes can be caught on sale, but are usually about $3 each, when you can go to a local mexican store and get really nice avacadoes for $1.00-1.25 each.
Meat...don't even get me started! Kroger has had the pork loins on sale a lot, so I like to buy those, 1 for about $10 can usually get us through 2 meals.

I bought my turkey a couple of days ago for $.59/lb. The Private Selections turkey from Kroger. I cooked one last year and it was really good. Their other turkeys are still about $1.39/lb.

EGGS...darn near $2.00 a dozen <I can remember not long ago they were $.69 a dozen!>
MILK... $2.89 a gallon. OUCH!
I spent $150 2 days ago on groceries, felt I got a lot, got home and I am like WTH, where is all the food? LOL It'll be fun shopping for Tday early next week, praying for some good sales.

Return to “Rants and Raves”