BF expectations.

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Re: BF expectations.

Postby sportymonkey » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:05 pm

bfaddict wrote:yea i used to do a little TOO much shopping lol. now i'm just effed.

Awww ((((HUGS)))) I think we are all a little effed this year. Keep your head up and "just keep swimming".

nfalks
Black Friday Pro

Postby nfalks » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:25 pm

I agree with everyone else that a lot of the problem is the economy and finances being tough, so as good as last year is just not good enough. I got lucky this year...neither of my kids are picky. They are each asking for one "big" item (a dollhouse and a kitchen), but neither of them really want anything else. So I can take the few deals that are out there for toys (3.99 Barbies at JCP) and make them worth while. If my girls were picky, like I have heard some you say your kids are, I would be in serious trouble because money is tight for me, too. Hopefully, we all find at least one deal that is spectacular.

rjbfads
Black Friday Newbie

Postby rjbfads » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:02 pm

Every year people say the deals are worse than before becuase, when someone gets a good deal the year before on a similiar item they want to do even better, then even better the next year. Eventually consumers will want the stores to pay the people to get in line. the deals this year are very similiar to prior years. Although I was also disappointed becuase I felt there would be a netbook somewhere for $100 and I dont think there worth $150.

reygato
Black Friday Pro

Postby reygato » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 pm

People may have found items they wanted in the past and scored a big sale on Black Friday and do not need or want that particular item again.

I have said before: There is nothing I want on BF.
Not to say I won't buy things, I do work, I do have money and I will buy for others.
Consider: A flat screen TV . When I decide to get one, I will, be it January or MAy or November or whenever. There is ALWAYS one on a good sale.
I got a camera I wanted with all the accesories last year. I do not need a new camera. I need more time to use the one I have.
A Laptop Computer. Again, I will get one when I want one, maybe not on Black Friday because the majority of ones I have found are junk. The exceptions are the Toshiba at Radio Shack (Which I already bought for my son) and the Dell at Office Max
That more than anything is why we are spending less. Everyone in the family got all they wanted last year and this year's Wish lists are Very short.

Many people in the community have little to know money to spend. For some people the only compiuter they will afford is the cheap compaq/HP on sale at WalMart on BF. A bad purchase, a bad decision, but some people (NOT ALL BUT SOME) are in a bad financial states because of bad decisions they made. Buying a Bad Crappy $198 computer should not be one of them.
We are giving more food and toys to the City Mayor's Food Drive, and that means we have to spend more in order to contribute more. BUT There are more people applying this year than last, and last year, in spite of donations, they ran out of food and toys before everyone got something.
Keep in mind, these are social services registered families. Not the Drug dealers who drive Mercededs and milk the Government for food stamps; these are verified indigent/hardship cases. They will be just as hungry on December 25 as everyone else, and their kids will want a toy kjust as much as mine do. Black Friday is a good way for us to get these toys, because what we buy will probably end up there.
One way or another.
The sheer number of requests for handouts indicates that people don;t have as much to spend.

But don't worry. With cheap Chinese goods in abundance on BF at places like Walmart, money WILL be spent.

BFPrincess
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFPrincess » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:15 am

Here's my thoughts. When I first started BF shopping (6 years ago I believe) the sales were outstanding and I would get a lot of stuff.

I've never really complained about the sales (I don't think I have anyway) and I always have a plan of attack. HOWEVER, I've never gone looking for the BIG doorbusters (TV's gaming systems, laptops, etc). It's also more been just stuff for me and I didn't have many people to shop for, so I was never really looking for specifics. If something in an ad caught my eye it went on the list.

I've usually had something on my shopping list from every store.

THIS year, I do find that the sales are not as good. And on some of the stuff that I buy yearly (dvd's) it's a lot of the same titles as last year. Or the yearly stuff isn't there this year (JCP leather jackets). Most of my list consists of stuff at WM and the other stores I will get to eventually, but no plans to be there at door buster time. I'm actually not 100% sure I'll even get to the other stores, as it would just be to look around. But, I'm also not looking for just things for me this year. I have a very specific list of things I need for the house and of what to get people for Christmas.

So yes, in my opinion, this year the ads are not as fantastic.

HOWEVER, in 6 years, my tastes have changed, who I buy gifts for have changed (lots of babies in 6 years in my family), my living situation has changed, my budget has changed, so what I'm looking to buy has changed and I would guess that it would be the same for pretty much everyone. You're not going to be looking for the same items every year (for the most part) so when you don't see the item you want or need at a price that you're willing to pay (or in the ads at all) then it's disappointing.

Previous years I've always found it odd that people were complaining about the ads and the sales, but this year I get it. Because the ads are not as good or as exciting and when it's a day that you look forward to all year, then it is a little disappointing.

Edit to add - maybe it's just me, but I find the board is not as busy this year either.
Last edited by BFPrincess on Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BFPrincess
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFPrincess » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:27 am

bfaddict wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:
sportymonkey wrote:
With the whole BOA thing people don't want to pay an arm and a leg to pay off Christmas. I know BOA decided not to add all the fees since they pretty much got a chair threw at them.

You mean after the fiasco, people still bank at Bank of America? I thought everyone got smart enough to leave them!

some people can't leave a bank that easily.
i know if wells fargo started charging a bunch of fees i would be SCREWED because there's no way i could pull all of my accounts with them, and pulling some of my accounts would cause me to have other fees that i normaly don't have. I have a savings, checking, credit card, mortgage and auto loan all through wells fargo. there's no way i could get my cc, auto or mortgage out of there - and taking my checking and savings somewhere else would cause me to have a annual fee on my credit card and i'm already struggling to pay that stupid thing off.

while I'm not with BOA (Canadian - so no BOA) I do understand. I have different things with 3 different banks right now (long story don't ask). I wanted to switch my main banking accounts to one of the other banks, but my biggest thing is the pain in the ass it is to switch up all the direct deposit/withdrawls. It's just a hassle that I'm too lazy to deal with. and that's kinda sad!

klbrow11
Black Friday Pro

Postby klbrow11 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:28 pm

My expectation were higher. I was looking for something specefic, tablets. And all there has been are the cheap kind I dont even want to touch. The only good deals on ones that are good are at best buy and that would mean sacraficing TG dinner :( may just go to staples or hh gregg and spend $50 more. Also where were Wal Mart and Target?? Two huge stores with no tablets at all. Kinda missed the ball on that one. Also hate seeing Kindles in every add, ugh and not even on sale or with a gift card, just ranting :)

anaberration
Black Friday Pro

Postby anaberration » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:39 pm

My expectation ? I expect to be trampled, cutoff for the handicap spot, pushed, shoved, spat at, cursed, have someone spill hot coffee on me, almost be in 8 traffic accidents and be stuck next in line behind someone that has an issue with the way every, single, item has been scanned/rung up on the register and has all 5 credit cards declined while they repeat over and over "I know I have money in the bank ". A typical BF....

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Postby Russell Burrows » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:15 pm

anaberration wrote:My expectation ? I expect to be trampled, cutoff for the handicap spot, pushed, shoved, spat at, cursed, have someone spill hot coffee on me, almost be in 8 traffic accidents and be stuck next in line behind someone that has an issue with the way every, single, item has been scanned/rung up on the register and has all 5 credit cards declined while they repeat over and over "I know I have money in the bank ". A typical BF....

And you left out the part about it being the cashiers first day on the job.

CkyTx
Black Friday Pro

Postby CkyTx » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:06 pm

I agree with whats been said already. Im not looking for any big ticket items and most of the stuff I do have an interest in I cant see going out to fight the crowds for this year. Deals just dont seem good enough to get me out there. HOWEVER, if I get bored enough since I dont have family to do the thanksgiving thing with, I may go try to snag a few things.

JaniceMac
Black Friday Newbie

Postby JaniceMac » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:44 pm

I do think sales have gotten worse.

I know people have different opinions about rebates, but I follow through on them and save a lot of money. In the past, stores had many more rebate items. Shopko had lots of toys that were free with rebate. (There seemed to be a remote control car every year and about 4 other toys.) Best Buy had a lot of things free--I remember getting cordless phones, software, and more. Menard's had a whole heck of a lot of everything for free with rebate.

Plus, stores had giveaways at the door--Target gave everyone a Matchbox car (to take to the toy department and match a number to see if you won a full-size car...I actually saw someone win this). Shopko gave different things each year, but I remember musical animal xmas stockings and the whole cast of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer figurines. Sears had $10 giftcards as you walked in the door to the first x-number of people. Now there's just the Penney's snowglobes that I just don't understand the appeal about (though it seems I've gotten one most years).

So yes, the deals used to be better, and the whole event was more fun. (That's not to say I won't be out on Friday. I will, and I'll still have a lot of fun.)

anaberration
Black Friday Pro

Postby anaberration » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:57 am

Russell Burrows wrote:
anaberration wrote:My expectation ? I expect to be trampled, cutoff for the handicap spot, pushed, shoved, spat at, cursed, have someone spill hot coffee on me, almost be in 8 traffic accidents and be stuck next in line behind someone that has an issue with the way every, single, item has been scanned/rung up on the register and has all 5 credit cards declined while they repeat over and over "I know I have money in the bank ". A typical BF....

And you left out the part about it being the cashiers first day on the job.

hahahahaha, so true......

Return to “Rants and Raves”